Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2006 Nissan Murano that just stop driving on me one day. It starts and everything but when I go to shift it doesn’t move at all. It revs but doesn’t go. The check engine light came on for a transmission sensor but the CVT light didn’t come on. I was told it could be the transmission shift cable but I have no clue how to access that. Can someone, anyone please help me

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 07 Murano with a similar problem. My car will start and the engine runs and idles properly, however when I put in Drive or Reverse the engine will not accelerate, no increase in RPM's, the car just sits and will not move forward or reverse. If I put the transmission in Park and then in D or R the car barely moves. The dash does NOT show any trouble signals like CEL or CVT. I have yet to find any topic on the forum for this specific issue, but I am still searching.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem and what was needed to correct?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Currently having the exact same problem. I was thinking about maybe trying to do the idle valve relearn. Would that help? Suggestions greatly needed and very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hello I have a 2006 Nissan Murano that just stop driving on me one day. It starts and everything but when I go to shift it doesn’t move at all. It revs but doesn’t go. The check engine light came on for a transmission sensor but the CVT light didn’t come on. I was told it could be the transmission shift cable but I have no clue how to access that. Can someone, anyone please help me
To clarify:

You start the engine, and (can or can not) feel the transmission engage?
When you feel the transmission is engaged and you try to move forward, the engine will rev but the car doesn't move.
The Check engine light is on, and you have (had the codes read??) indicating that it's a transmission sensor.

Step one is to correct the fault indicated by the check engine light. Please do that and check back in with us if the problem is not corrected.

Remember, the CVT in your car has no gears. It does not "shift" except D to N to R. The transmission's pulleys are electronically managed, so the shift lever contacts switches in the shift mechanism telling the transmission which direction you want to go; the rest is electronically controlled. It could be something electronic, you need to narrow down the possible causes of the problem.

If this is stuff you already know, then pardon me, just provide more details.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I have 07 Murano with a similar problem. My car will start and the engine runs and idles properly, however when I put in Drive or Reverse the engine will not accelerate, no increase in RPM's, the car just sits and will not move forward or reverse. If I put the transmission in Park and then in D or R the car barely moves. The dash does NOT show any trouble signals like CEL or CVT. I have yet to find any topic on the forum for this specific issue, but I am still searching.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem and what was needed to correct?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Just a guess, but the gas pedal/throttle control is electronic. Have the codes read and see if you detect a fault in that unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pilgrim,

I apologize for my much delayed response.

The actual problem was the voltage from the alternator. The output voltage was 8.3 volts and the electronics on this vehicle are so sensitive the CPU was not operating properly and it was shutting down the vehicle. I replaced the alternator and now getting 13.1 output volts and the car is operating just fine with no problems.

Never would have thought the alternator and the voltage output would have a direct affect on the transmission operation.

Thanks again for your offer to help on this problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Pilgrim,

I apologize for my much delayed response.

The actual problem was the voltage from the alternator. The output voltage was 8.3 volts and the electronics on this vehicle are so sensitive the CPU was not operating properly and it was shutting down the vehicle. I replaced the alternator and now getting 13.1 output volts and the car is operating just fine with no problems.

Never would have thought the alternator and the voltage output would have a direct affect on the transmission operation.

Thanks again for your offer to help on this problem.
Kind of you to follow up; your answer may help others.

A note: the output of the Murano alternator varies according to the system and battery demand. I normally ask people to check the voltage right after starting the car, as the alternator is re-charging the battery. At that time, you should see voltage above 14.0 volts. Once the battery has charged up, seeing voltage in the 13 volt range would be OK.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Knowing how sensitive our MO is to battery holding and alternator charging voltage, I leave a volt meter reader plugged into the cigarette plug similar to this one from Amazon

Amazon link

When I start the MO, I switch the key to the acc position momentary to read what the battery holding voltage is. Once the car started, it continuously shows the charging voltage. Just a convenient way to keep an eye on the voltage before something goes wacky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
HI, my MO 2003 have some issue when shift from D to R, some times it lasts a lot , and sometimes hits and jumps very strong, it can be a CVT issue?
Actually no Codes or cluster lights are display.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Check fluid levels immediately. If you are REALLY lucky that's the problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Is it OK? That matters.

If not, then you may have a mechanical problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts