Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha
Burn Holes Rear Passenger Seat.jpg
Burn Holes Rear Passenger Seat.jpg These two burn holes were on the rear passenger seat behind the drivers seat. This 2018 Nissan Murano was purchased a little over a year ago hand has heated seats both front and rear. I had smelled something smoldering a couple of weeks ago however thought the smell was coming from an outside source. I brought it to the dealer to have them access the damage and they are insisting that these burn marks have nothing to do with the rear seat heater. No one has, or ever did smoke in my car. I do not transport combustable items. I never open the sun room. Has anyone experienced this issue? Cost to replace the seat is $850.00 and at the present time I am working on a claim to have the seat replaced with the Nissan Consumers Complaint department. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?
Thank you,
Ellenee

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Pursue your complaint. If it's due to the seat heater, there will be heating elements at the point of the burn. If no heating elements are there, I don't see any way it could be the seat heater.

This seems incredibly easy to determine - where are the elements? The dealership can find out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Was also about to say if it’s truly the heater the heating elements would be located in those areas so it should be pretty easy for the dealership/service Dept to make the determination. What did they claim the damage came from? Even though you have the complaint open I’d maybe try to get a second opinion on it also from a different service Dept.

Just curious...were you using the seat heaters recently? Not sure what the temps are in your area but I can’t imagine needing the seat warmers in my area (west central Georgia) until maybe late September and that’s a big maybe. Honestly probably won’t need them until late October or November at the earliest and probably wouldn’t need them past March. So I’m only asking because it fascinates me to think that some areas are lucky enough to be experiencing anything that doesn’t require the AC from 9am until 8pm daily unless you just are a fan of hot and humid air with the windows and moonroof open lol

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Most probably a break in the insulation of the wiring/heating element that cause that burn. Its probably not working/heating anymore if you turn it on? Either way, it should be covered. Make them rip open the leather covering/upholstery and find that break. It will easily show. Although, I don't really know if dealers do any upholstery repairs at all.

Here is an example of a similar burn (didn't seem it went all the way through the upholstery):

On the side note, whenever we use the front seat heaters, once it gets warm we turn it off. Otherwise, we start sweating and it feels like you are a chicken in a pot being cooked. Nevertheless, it should not burn even if you leave it on or was not aware that you accidentally turned it on. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
It's not hard to peel the seat coverings off to inspect the interior of the seat, but it does take a while. The dealership ought to do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was also about to say if it’s truly the heater the heating elements would be located in those areas so it should be pretty easy for the dealership/service Dept to make the determination. What did they claim the damage came from? Even though you have the complaint open I’d maybe try to get a second opinion on it also from a different service Dept.

Just curious...were you using the seat heaters recently? Not sure what the temps are in your area but I can’t imagine needing the seat warmers in my area (west central Georgia) until maybe late September and that’s a big maybe. Honestly probably won’t need them until late October or November at the earliest and probably wouldn’t need them past March. So I’m only asking because it fascinates me to think that some areas are lucky enough to be experiencing anything that doesn’t require the AC from 9am until 8pm daily unless you just are a fan of hot and humid air with the windows and moonroof open lol
I more than likely accidentally turned the heat seater on as I have been transporting items from one place to the other and often put the back seats down. I did not have the moon roof open.
Looking for another dealer to give me a second opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts