Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on ebay.com. Think it was about $9.00

This intake sensor modification. Will fit just about any car, Can easily Be installed in less than 5 Minutes. This modifies your stock ecu with a resistor. This will give you 12-20 extra horsepower and more torque. You don't need any experience, Just 5 minutes of your time. Yes, it does work. I Installed one on my car and I can tell a great difference in first and second gears, as well as a higher top speed. This works with your Stock Ecu making it think that the air coming through the intake is cold air which advances the timing to 5-6 degrees. Which makes the engine produce more power. This modification does just about the same thing that Ecu Upgrades and Jet Chips do, WHY PAY? $300-$400? When you can buy this much cheaper. I will also give a Guarantee on this, if your modification breaks, I will send another one free. Please e-mail me if you have any questions or concerns before bidding on it. Add hp.the inexpensive way . Make your car run stronger and more powerful !!!!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well, it would "probably" add a few HP.
However selection of the resistor value is important and it is quite possible that the Computer and the readings from the ECU will be fighting each other.

Here's a tip.
Don't buy anything that doesn't have a certified Rear Wheel HP chart, done on an accepted Dynamometer, under controlled conditions, from a reputable Performance shop attached.

As far as replacing the "chip" (In the ECM)with a resistor, this person obviously doesn't know that the MAIN thing a chip does is advance the timing of the ignition. It will enrichen the mixture "in certain conditions" too, based on readings of the oxygen sensor that is mounted somewhere in the exhaust stream.

IF I was going to try this Resistor thingamabob I would run the wires into the Cabin and mount a switch that I could turn on AND OFF.
Who needs a richer mixture ALL the time? Dumb.

I "might" be interested in a chip, AFTER the car is out of warranty.
In my case that would be in 7 years. :rolleyes:

Besides, the best way to get power out of the Murano is no different than any other car.
An engine is an air pump.
The more air you can get in AND out of an engine, the more power you will develop.
Right now, I KNOW the exhaust system of the Murano is very restricted. Hint, you can't hear the exhaust of a Murano.
So, you have to open that up.
You might gain 5 RWHP that way.
And then you might gain another 5 RWHP simply by installing a K&N air filter. Without opening up the exhaust, it is likely you would see no gain in RWHP at all with a K&N.........although the resultant Honker sound of the intake might give you 20 or 30 "psychological" HP. :D

Someday, there will be some aftermarket stuff available.....low restriction mufflers, High Pass Catalytic converters, Cold air intake units, modified ECMs, etc

and it won't be done with a 30 cent resistor that may or may not do something other than lower your MPG.

Homer

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
:29:

Very well said Homer.

These resistor ideas have been around for a long time. And at one time they actually worked. Also, the problem is the VQ35DE in the Z and MO uses a (MAF) Mass Air Flow Sensor and multiple O2 sensors. To further complicate things, the ECU in the Z and MO has essentially a Kalman filter. An adaptive controls technique. Bottom line is "it learns". On the Z, many mods have been tried and the first dyno run may show a little increase, like 5HP and then subsequent runs show no gain or even loss. But anything you can do to make the pump breath better will help. THe Z is just too well designed stock to see any real increases. The MO is a different story IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts