Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when we got to New Zealand our first rental car was a Nissan Premera with only 18 km on the meter. Awesome to have a brand new car! :) I had never heard of a Premera, but then again I hadn't heard of most cars that were on the road down there. Many very nice vehicles that just aren't available in the States, unfortunately. They have several models of CARS that can actually tow BOATS, which simply doesn't exist in the US (which, sadly, is what I want right now and the MO is the closest thing).

Anyway, with the steering wheel on the right side of the car, turn signals on the right side of the steering wheel, and driving on the left side of the road, I was a little tense the first couple days.

On the 3rd day, after we got out of the busy town of Auckland and started driving on these steep, curvy, narrow scenic roads, I noticed that the transmission was so smooth on this car. It just kind of popped into my head that I wasn't getting pissed off at an automatic transmission like I usually do. So I floored it going up hil to see what it would do. Guess what? It has a CVT! :2:

Now, normally, of course, I would have noticed this right away. My excuse is that I was a little distracted trying to unlearn all the instincts that tell me to drive in the right lane.

Anyway, I was very impressed, especially on the hills, with how the CVT performed. Really convinced me that my decision to buy a MO is the right one and that I'll be happy with it when I finally have it in my driveway.

When we got to the South island we switched rental cars and ended up with a Mazda 6. Sweet car, much more powerful and better cornering than the Premera, but the automatic tranny really PISSED ME OFF! :3: Always searching for the correct gear to be in, jumping when it downshifts. Thankfully it had a "manual-mode" like the SE Murano so I could force it to stay in a particular gear when I wanted. That just convinced me even more than the CVT is the way to go. And also convinced me further in my belief that conventional automatics will be going away and the transmission of the future will be CVTs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's the funny thing about Nissans. Their models in US are different from ones in Europe, and apparently New Zealand.

European models are Micra, Tino, Almera, Primera,

European Maxima look like the corresponding Infiniti model.
The SUVs are Patrol, X-trail and Terrano.
And of course, Murano is called Murano ;)

I find it really strange that they have a different set of models. Must be marketing. I couldn't imagine Micra in the US.

·
5,268 Posts
Hi Corin,

glad you liked Down Under. I had the pleasure of living in the Oz land (Australia) for several years. Beautiful country. And yes, they do have a few nice cars that can tow. A Ford Falcon, Australian made is one of them. At a time when I was there it could tow 2,000 kg (4,100 pounds) without any problems. And it was a real car, I mean rear wheel drive!

When I was looking for a car for my wife I came across a Honda Civic with CVT! It must have been at least 8 years ago. I did not get it but I still remember it, for the CVT!!! It was so smooooth. Almost as smooth as Murano......

Patrol - it used to be best off road vehicle. It was a bigger brother of Pathfinder. Actually the Pathfinder was considered more on road than off road car.

Did you make it to Australia?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I drove a Nissan Xtrail in south east asia around 4 months ago...

awesome vehicle....
I think it rides better than the honda crv and toyota rav4

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nissan Blue bird

I was in New Zealand back in april for 10 days.We Where in auckland for a few days then went to the south island for Easter.
I rented a nissan blue bird.Its was a little under powered but ok.
New Zealand is a very perty place.I plan to go back some day.

Loggerdude 04 SE AWD 16000 miles +

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kris said:
Did you make it to Australia?
Nope, didn't have time. 3.5 weeks wasn't enough time to do everything we wanted to in NZ.

One thing we did: Zorbing!

Very cool. Check it out:
www.zorb.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts