Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Good news... gives me more confidence in the MO's CVT. I wonder if they will all be the same make/model.

That was my biggest concern when getting the MO. I almost didn't purchase it but so far I'm glad I did. I truly enjoy driving a CVT. My only wish was that it would be a bit more aggressive in brake assist when going down hills and/or with braking.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good. Maybe this will drop the replacement cost down from the $6000+ that some have reported with failed ones to something more reasonable. That is my biggest fear of the CVT is failure and high replacement cost because the MO is the only vehicle using it. Should also bring down the servicing costs and fluid costs.

·
5,244 Posts
I agree. CVT is the only my concerns....I mean the cost of replacement.....$6k is simply ridiculus...

·
4,601 Posts
I'd like to hear what they say about all the transfer cases they've replaced...;)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i wish nissan made 2 transmissions available for the MO.

a 6 speed auto/manual for those horsepower hungry people out there and the CVT for the cruisers.

·
5,244 Posts
nissanlove said:

a 6 speed auto/manual for those horsepower hungry people out there and the CVT for the cruisers.

AGREED!!!!!:D

·
4,601 Posts
They do, you just have to go to Central America to get it... Well, OK, it's not a 6 speed...

But in reality, blow the 6 speed, we just need a CVT that can handle the torque so you can smoke the tires from a standstill.

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
jaak,
yes in SA Nissan sells Murano with Altima autobox.

CVT capable of handling 350HP - ow you talking!:D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i was aware of the SA automatic muranos but what makes me wonder is why they didn't bring the normal auto to the states as an option. i can't wait until they find a way to strengthen the CVT's so that massive amounts of power can be pumped through them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
nissanlove said:

SE's come with "6 speed" CVT manumatic

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ya wanna run that 6 speed?

It's a phony.
It just adds profiles to the program and takes time for you to "shift".
Being a CVT at heart, in fact the same CVT, it still can't move off the line like a nice gear driven tranny.

Of course, I wouldn't give up the CVT for a regular auto tranny of any kind.

now if there was a manual transmission offered........hmmmn.

I do like driving a car more than just steering one.

Homer

·
4,601 Posts
Wish we could steal the Dodge Charger line.... "The new Charger Hybrid. It burns both gas and rubber!"

I was LMAO at that one...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am a great fan of the CVT and I have deliberately never owned an auto before this car.

I refused to buy an auto because of the hunting for the right gears, over revving of the engine and the horrible loss of power between gear changes and power loss thru the torque converter.

The MO has none of these issues and is super smooth.

I drove the X5 5 mins before the MO when test driving and the MO won hands down on handling and especially the transmission.

I can understand if your CVT has failed (maybe mine will break too as I tow and go off road) for the loss of confidence though

Heres wishing that the CVT stays and they engineer a sturdier and stronger solution as I would find it difficult going to a traditional auto box after sampling this new breed of transmission.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Drove the Alfa Romeo selespeed a while ago and that was awesome.

Took quite a while to get used to but with the paddles on the steering wheel and the manual effect of gear changes without a clutch it really gave it sporty feel.

Nearly bought one till I came to my senses (resale and reliability)

·
Registered
31 Posts
hfelknor said:
Ya wanna run that 6 speed?

It's a phony.
It just adds profiles to the program and takes time for you to "shift".
Being a CVT at heart, in fact the same CVT, it still can't move off the line like a nice gear driven tranny.

Of course, I wouldn't give up the CVT for a regular auto tranny of any kind.

now if there was a manual transmission offered........hmmmn.

I do like driving a car more than just steering one.

Homer
I have a 350z, the MO is my girls...nissanlove wished the MO came with a manumatic which in a "sense" it does...my Z is a true 6 speed...the SE MO has the manumatic "6 speed"...neither the CVT or "regular" slush box can replace a true manual 6 speed...but the CVT "6" does a very commendable job a sloshing "gears"... holds to a very high rev...very different in manumatic mode compared to regular "drive" mode

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that too.. You can really wind it out, but it's not as good as L at keeping it there no matter what speed.

Yes, I've run L to 150 km/h from a stop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts