Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to negotiate dealer-mounted splash guards for the wheel wells when I bought my MO a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to put them on myself. I found a good price at 1stNissanParts.com out of Bremerton, WA. I bought a set of four splash guards for about $69; the dealer wanted to charge me $90, uninstalled! They're easy to put on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shucks Carl!! Serves me right for not checking with the Board's members first.

That's a great price, I'm sure you'll find a buyer. These things really help prevent mud, road tar, and other crap from getting thrown onto the aside of your MO.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Are these different from the splash guards we get in the SL package?

This is the first car I've owned with "front and rear mudflaps" for each tire. And btw, I think their performance is terrible. The stock ones don't keep anything off the car. I have the telltale flare of dirt shooting up the front doors at a 45 degree angle.

I once hit a construction cone at about 83mph which partially tore off the front-front-right mudflap/splash guard. The dealer covered the damage under warranty somehow. I guess they thought it fell off!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E PA,

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that there is only one set of OEM splash guards for MOs. When I called the dealer for a quote, I didn't specify SE or SL, and they told me $90 for the set. So, I'm assuming that they're the same for SE and SL.

You're right about the ineffectiveness of the guards. I did noticed that they help a little though, so I put them on for the heck of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree the mud flaps on this car are pretty useless. I went through some mud and there where splash marks everywhere. I had mark s to the top of the rear windows. It was cool spiral pattern though.
If they made the guards wider it would work better but I believe it may spoil the look of the Mo.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Along the same lines, have you ever noticed a HUGE cloud of steam or spray when you go through puddles? It appears that something runs extremely hot underneath and when I hit puddles that splash up the right way, my car looks like its punching through the smoke at the beginning of a basketball game!! Someone posted close-ups of the CVT air intake underneath, and I suspect that some hot metal parts are close by. God help the people following us on rainy days!

Oh, and while I disparaged the functionality of the splashguards earlier, I failed to mention how critical I think they are to the looks of the car and wholeheartedly agree they should be on there if for no other reason.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Could also be the catalytic converter. Those suckers get really hot!! On my old car, I ran over a plastic grocery bag and it ended up getting stuck to the cat. The heat from the converter was so high, the bag melted onto it as soon as it hit. I pulled it off later, but the residue was still there. Not hard to see it boiling a puddle of water!

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
True, true. I once floated a car 3 days after I bought it. The car started to overheat and break down on highways a week later, and the shop said the cat was stuffed full of leaves. He said it was getting red hot and the computer was shutting down the car as a preventive measure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts