Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Who needs titles?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one yet? I just got one, but havn't tried it yet.

I got a small sratch on the front passenger door from what looks like a shopping cart.

Argh.

·
4,664 Posts
Yes, on the Sunlit Copper and it's not a good match. Better than primer showing....

·
Who needs titles?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you touch up a chip or a scratch?

I have a thin scratch that has no depth to it thakfully.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Haven't tried one, though I did have a detailer throw some touch-up paint onto some scratches on my back bumper. Deep scratches (deliberately done, too :3: ). Deep enough to see white, which is never good.

The touch-up hid them really well.

I have a black Murano. I've heard a rule is that solid colors will always match better than metallic colors.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the silver pen and it seems to be a pretty good colour match however I would swap it in a second for a two part bottle and brush touch up kit. The paint in the pen is so thin that it does not fill and is hard to apply accurately with the too wide tip. I like a thicker paint that I can apply with a pin head or tooth pick to fill the scratch and then buff smooth.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I bought the pen from Courtesy for my Midnight Blue SE. It works pretty well. Its not fantastic but its way better than that ridiculous paint brush in that little bottle. I now keep the paint pen conveniently in the little elastic band on the center console cover.

·
Who needs titles?
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone know where to get touch up for the grey thing under the bumper?

i can't win... roy vs. the shopping center fools!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nfilippelli said:
so you guys recomend the touch up pen over touch up paint from nissan?
Actually, I agree with eager -- I much prefer the bottle w/ brush combo to the pen. I've used both as recently as the last 2 wks (pen on mine; brush on hers) and the brush produced far superior results. I just can't seem to "fine tune" the pen the same way I can the brush. In fact, I've contacted the dealer and they told me the bottle/brush isn't avail for the MO (at least here in Can.) so I'm going to an aftermarket shop to see if I can get something non-Nissan.

·
Registered
117 Posts
but with the pen you get the clearcoat on one side.

you should be able to order the pen and bottle from the site posted a few posts above.

Any other thoughts, or experience with this?

since they are so cheap i may just buy both.

-Nerf

·
Registered
180 Posts
:1zhelp:
I'm also looking for some advice on touch-ups. I recently discovered two wicked chips on the leading edge of the driver's side front fender -- down to the white. I've applied the touch-up via the pen but it still looks like crap. It doesn't appear to be filled in enough -- the level of the filled chip is still below the level of the "normal" finish.

What should I do? Multiple coats of touch-up to bring it up to level? Then what do I do with the gobbed mess? Rubbing compound to level it off and blend it in? Doesn't this also remove the clear coat from the surrounding area?

I've never used rubbing compound before and need some help here. I don't want to screw it up worse than it is already!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The best way to handle deep chips and scratches is
http://www.langka.com/

I used this on my Mazda Miata and it works.

I had 2 really bad chips (Down to the white-why don't they color match primer to final color?) and used this stuff.
First chip took me about 30 minutes.
Second chip about 10 minutes.

This car won the Concours at Ft Pierce FL in 2001 after this repair.
Street car - "New Car" divison.

I then used it for an additional half dozen chips on the car. The paint on the 99 MAzda was very brittle and very thin.

Homer

·
Registered
117 Posts
so you use this after you apply the paint?
also would you recommend the whole paint chip pack?

"Paint Chip Repair - Complete Kit

This complete kit contains all the items necessary for repairing your paint chips and deep scratches. All the items are packaged in a single package for easy storage and with complete directions. The Kit includes (1)the original LANGKA“…The Blob Eliminator 2oz (2) PREPAINT 2oz (3) Paint Sealant 2oz, and a (5) fine tip paint brush."

-Nerf

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"so you use this after you apply the paint?"

Basically yes.
Fill the hole with paint. If it is a metallic paint, shake the jar a LOT.
Metallic is very difficult to match.
Better to put on 2 or 3 light coats and let them dry.

Make sure all parts are above the plane.

Then the instructions are
http://www.langka.com/newsite/index2.html

And as it suggests at the bottom of that page, fill chips as you get them and finish them as you get time.

Yep I would get the whole pack although I didn't use the brush unyil one day I had a 4" scratch to do.
I used a toothpick on the chips. One of my chips was nearly 1/2 across, so I moved a lot of paint. :)

Homer

BTW, I use an Invisible bra on my Gold, do I won't be doing any more Langka :cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
thecanuck said:
I'm also looking for some advice on touch-ups. I recently discovered two wicked chips on the leading edge of the driver's side front fender -- down to the white. I've applied the touch-up via the pen but it still looks like crap. It doesn't appear to be filled in enough -- the level of the filled chip is still below the level of the "normal" finish.

What should I do? Multiple coats of touch-up to bring it up to level? Then what do I do with the gobbed mess? Rubbing compound to level it off and blend it in? Doesn't this also remove the clear coat from the surrounding area?

I've never used rubbing compound before and need some help here. I don't want to screw it up worse than it is already!
To smooth the applied paint, I discovered a 3M sanding stick at Wal-Mart and since have noticed it at other auto supply places. It is a very small stick mounted in a tube and is very effective in sanding a very small spot. Be careful though and do not rub the residue off with your hand. The stick is made of tightly packed tiny ground glass shards.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Homer

How does your car look with clear bra on it? Is it 3M? Would you mind posting high-res pics of it?

I just got my first chip and it hurts:(

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
May double post.
Lost one somewhere.....

I will take a pix in the next day or so.
Understand that I will be cheating by taking an extreme closeup with the lighting just so, etc.
It's not easy taking a picture of an INVISIBLE Bra.

For a more realistic view go to my gallery

http://www.nissanmurano.org/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=8680&cat=500&thumb=1

I know you really can't see anything there, but that's kind of the idea, right?;)

Closeup in the next day or so.

Homer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts