Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with my local dealer who was investigating the "fix" to the steering in the 05 models.

Accoring to Nissan, this will NOT be fixed retroactivly.. (unless it's a safty issue, which they don't think it is..)

I think we need to start a petition or something, it's obvious Nissan is not willing to acknowledge this is a problem..

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
What exactly is the fix? Makes me wonder. If Nissan just boosted the overall assist, then I would not want it, since I like the stiff steering feel in the Murano - the very small percentage of time the assist kicks out, well I think its a tradeoff worth it for the nice steering heft in normal driving.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I drove non power steering cars before, being born and raised in a 3rd world

country where owning a car is even a luxory.

Anyway, i got my first driving license driving non-power steering car. so i am used to the "heavy" and not "so-agile" steering. I know for some ppl, loose of boost are annoying; especially on a $30k+ car.
But again, i agree with the above post, it is not a must fix.
Enjoy your murano while it lasts :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I personally think that the steering problem is a safety issue. Given that problem cannot be duplicated consistently, the behavior of the vehicle becomes an unknown. A worst-case scenario would be driving through a store parking lot when a small child runs into traffic. I would want the power steering to be fully functional if steering the vehicle would help in avoiding a collision.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I drove non power steering cars before, being born and raised in a 3rd world

It's not an issue of Power or Not.. it's a problem with the power dropping off and changing the charastics mid turn.

I agree its a big safty, Issue.. I'm going to haras my dealer (as he's also giving me an "offical" letter on the clock problem.. and get him to describe what the fix was, and why, exactly they think it's not a safety issue..

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reporting Safety-Related Problems to Transport Canada

For best results, phone us at 1-800-333-0510 or (613)993-9851 if you are calling from the Ottawa region and ask to speak to a defect investigator. Calling directly is preferred instead of posted mail or email as it enables our investigators to confirm that your information is correct, and to answer your questions accurately.

What should you include in your report?

When reporting a vehicle problem that may relate to safety, provide the following information:

Vehicle make, model and year.

Owner’s name, address and daytime phone number.

The Vehicle Identification Number "VIN" (serial number). On most cars and trucks, this can be found on the driver side dashboard. You can read the VIN plate if you stand outside your vehicle and look through the windshield.

A summary of the incident. Include weather conditions, speed, and type of highway.

This information is entered into our complaint data bank. A copy is forwarded to the manufacturer.

What happens to your complaint?

Information provided by consumers is entered into the computer data bank and catalogued according to make, model, year, manufacturer, and the affected part, assembly or system. Technical staff conduct a continuous analysis of complaints and trends to determine whether an unusual number of complaints of potential safety-related problems have been received on any specific line of vehicles, tires or child restraints. The seriousness and number of complaints are reviewed by technical staff and assessed against the number of vehicles (or items of equipment) manufactured for evidence of a trend.

How many complaints must be received before Transport Canada will look into the situation?

There is no set number. Every call or letter reporting an alleged safety problem is reviewed by an experienced investigator. In particular, Transport Canada reviews each report that suggests a potential safety defect involving groups of motor vehicles or vehicle equipment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
564 Posts
The U.S. equivalent of Transport Canada is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), an agency within the Department of Transportation. Check their website for information, including filing complaints at www.nhtsa.gov.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
isn't murano steering speed sensitve which would mean that if your going at a slower speed there should be more power steering boost right?? if this is true then our dealer is full of crap b/c our murano is a pain in the ass to steer when we are goin parking lot speed. anyone with the same problem??

·
Registered
1 Posts
steering

We were told that there is nothing wrong with the steering, and the service dept. is unwilling to help. If any one can point me in the right direction please email me. My wife has great difficulty in parking and manuvering in tight areas because of the steering.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Technically there is nothing the dealer can do to fix the issue. If Nissan has an updated steering pump, then that would be a fix, but as is, the Murano's original design called for stiff steering to begin with. Unfortunately this can lead to situations where the steering is too stiff during low speed maneuvering. During situations where there is loss of boost I have found that the boost is not completely gone though.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"isn't murano steering speed sensitve which would mean that if your going at a slower speed there should be more power steering boost right?? "

Well, aside from the loss of boost problem, the steering on the Murano is pretty heavy.
I happen to like it like that, but you are right.

I don't think that the Murano has Speed sensitive power steering.

Strange, as it has to be the most expensive car in the world without it, I would guess.

Homer

·
Registered
834 Posts
Reminds me of our Volvo. It had a distinct hesitation (not turbo lag) upon starting off.
The next model year this was fix but a new power management system. Well I tried to see if we could have the new unit installed and they answered the sane way, no. It was not a safety issue.

Other tried arguing the fact of the hesitation at an intersection etc. to no avail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is definitely a safety issue, I was sitting in a line of traffic the other day and was going to make a quick left then right to change into the next lane. Halfway through the maneuver (when attempting to correct to go straight) I lost power steering, and was VERY close to ending up 2 lanes over where I would have been rear-ended for sure.

It's surprising there has been no major accidents caused by this and a subsequent class-action lawsuit.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Confirmed from a few sources:

There are two failings on the handling front, however. One is that the Murano has really ponderous steering at slow speeds, so you have to work hard to park the car. You get used to this, but a variable-speed steering system would alleviate this annoyance. The second issue is that even though the Murano we tested had all-wheel drive, its bias is toward the front wheels, so torque steer on hard acceleration isn't hard to induce. You may not notice it if you drive the car more casually, but the Murano encourages more spirited maneuvers, and that's when the throttle-steer comes to life.

Extract from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/2003/05/26/cx_mf_0526test_2.html

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Just went to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) web site and only two people have filed a complaint in the US! I think all of us who have had an issue with the steering should be filing there. It just takes a few minutes!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
dont forget to file on the alternator problem as well ~

heheh just a reminder.

·
Registered
359 Posts
SIM said:
Confirmed from a few sources:

There are two failings on the handling front, however. One is that the Murano has really ponderous steering at slow speeds, so you have to work hard to park the car. You get used to this, but a variable-speed steering system would alleviate this annoyance. The second issue is that even though the Murano we tested had all-wheel drive, its bias is toward the front wheels, so torque steer on hard acceleration isn't hard to induce. You may not notice it if you drive the car more casually, but the Murano encourages more spirited maneuvers, and that's when the throttle-steer comes to life.

Extract from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/2003/05/26/cx_mf_0526test_2.html
I'm looking at the brochure for the 04 and it notes 'Power variable-assist rack-and-pinion steering'.
I haven't experienced the loss of power assist yet, but I did frequently on a Chrysler product when temps very low, as in significantly below freezing, and fast movement of the wheel required say going in or out of a parking space. That problem caused by PS fluid being really cold and could not build up pressure fast enough to meet demand. Wondering if MO will behave similarly in the winter.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
rjardine said:

I haven't experienced the loss of power assist yet,
Try this: With the car stopped and engine running. Grab the steering wheel and turn it very sharply to either left or right as far as you can and immediately reverse direction. You should feel the loss of power on the swing back. But be careful, that is how I hurt my wrist!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do not hold your breath

The MO has been out for two years and from what I see, only a couple of complaints to the govt. Most users including myself do not see it as being a problem. I know some of you talk about the major concern is the steering characteristics changes in the middle of an emergency. SO DOES ABS but you get use to it and this happens at a much higher speed! I have experienced this steering loss but I was going so slow, it was not a problem to just step on the brakes or just add more muscle.

If there is a fix, I think the trade off in responsiveness at other speeds would offset it. Lets wait until the 05 comes out and hold judgement to see if the problem is fixed and how the steering feels at other speeds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts