Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in my NissanMaxima.org days, I upgraded to Porterfield R4S brake pads and Brembo blank (not drilled or slotted) rotors with great results. Firm strong brakes, completely fade free, gentle on rotors, and minimal dusting/noise. These pads will outperform the OEM pads.

I contacted Porterfield for pricing info and a possible NissanMurano.org group discount on pads and rotors for those us who want better braking on the Murano.

Wendy from Porterfield kindly contacted me back with these prices, which include a 20% discount on pads and $10 off each rotor.

Fronts AP 969 R4-S $95.96
Rears AP 905 R4-S $63.69
Front Rotor JBR 980 $88.95 per rotor
Rear Rotor JBR 981 $69.90 per rotor

Brembo's are not available yet for this application but the rotor would still be a very high quality rotor such as the brembo.

This is a very good deal, and I hope group members here take advantage of it. You can contact Porterfield Brakes at

[email protected]
949-548-4470

For more info, visit Porterfield at:

Porterfield Brakes

·
4,601 Posts
Hey, that's a great deal Eric!

I do have one question, however... I've found the OEM's to be firm strong brakes, completely fade free, gentle on the rotors, with minimal dusting and no noise.

Have you found otherwise? Give us detail! :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jaak said:
Hey, that's a great deal Eric!

I do have one question, however... I've found the OEM's to be firm strong brakes, completely fade free, gentle on the rotors, with minimal dusting and no noise.

Have you found otherwise? Give us detail! :D
Given my experience comparing stock pads on my Maxima vs Porterfield R4S, its not even a fair comparison. The Porterfields are superior in every way. Now, given the Murano has factory ceramic pads (they are similar to Akebono ProACT pads - Akebono is an OEM supplier to Nissan), they are probably better than the stock pads on the old 4th gen Maxima. However, after reading the 350Z and G35 forums, its clear the Porterfield R4S carbon kevlar pads outperform even the newer Nissan pads. I've tried a variety of brake pads such as EBC Greenstuff and Axxis MetalMatrix (both of which outperform stock) but the Porterfields are the best I've ever used. Very very firm brake feel. Slam on the brakes with the R4S pads, and you feel like you've hit a brick wall. I wouldn't recommend Porterfields unless I believe in them personally, and you know how skeptical I am of any "modification" to Muranos. :p

The Murano has pretty good stock brakes to begin with, but they are a bit mushy compared to the feel of an aftermarket performance pad.

A rotor upgrade is probably not necessary, but given the incidents of warped rotors on the Murano, I wanted to suggest a good aftermarket alternative that would suit street driving. I do not recommend slotted rotors (which wear brake pads very quickly) or cross drilled (which don't have any performance benefit on the street).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts