1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan's big idea: Small cars for U.S.

By Dee-Ann Durbin

Associated Press

DETROIT - After years in the shadow of sport-utility vehicles, little cars are getting more attention thanks to consumer concern about high gasoline prices.

Nissan Motor Co. said yesterday that it would add a subcompact to its lineup. The 2007 Nissan Versa will go on sale in a hatchback version next summer, and a sedan will follow later in the year. The Versa will have a starting price of about $12,000.

The introduction is a timely one. According to the Power Information Network, a division of J.D. Power & Associates, more consumers switched to compact or subcompact cars in August than the year before.

Small cars have long been popular in Europe and Japan, but U.S. buyers traditionally have not warmed to them, and they were not a priority for U.S. automakers, who make more money on SUVs and trucks. But automakers are now putting more serious effort into small models for the U.S. market. The Power Information Network expects the number of compacts and subcompacts on the U.S. market to grow from 33 this year to 40 in 2010.

Versa's fuel economy is estimated at 38 miles per gallon. The car has a standard 1.8-liter, 4-cylinder engine.

Versa cars for the North American market will be built in Aguascalientes, Mexico, starting next year, Nissan said.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
My wife was looking at getting a new car and we briefly thought about trading her sentra when it hit me....why in the heck would you trade a paid for car with 60k miles on it that gets mid 30's gas milage? So, we will keep it. Sentra's are legendary for having over 200k miles on them before any major repair is required.

·
5,244 Posts
mgthe3

could not agree more! And Sentra is not a really small car. My personal opinion is that cars are much better transportation means that SUV's or trucks. It is beyond my comprehension (I know my brain is half dead) why one would drive a Hummer, F150 or a similar vehicle just to get to an office or drop kids to a school……oh, I forgot there is the COOL factor……the RICE factor……what ever it means………

Eh logic, what ever happed to you…….

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Kris said:
mgthe3

could not agree more! And Sentra is not a really small car. My personal opinion is that cars are much better transportation means that SUV's or trucks. It is beyond my comprehension (I know my brain is half dead) why one would drive a Hummer, F150 or a similar vehicle just to get to an office or drop kids to a school……oh, I forgot there is the COOL factor……the RICE factor……what ever it means………

Eh logic, what ever happed to you…….
Says the person with 2 SUVs... Does anyone else see the irony in Kris's statement, or is it just me? :rolleyes:

·
5,244 Posts
OK, I do not consider FX nor MO SUV. They are just nice station wagons on bigger wheels..;)

I would never ever own a SUV - unless I lived in the country or was off-roading....

Does it make sense? Is it logical? Hm,........maybe, maybe not.....

·
4,601 Posts
Driving an SUV is cool. Driving a Station Wagon isn't. (Except for the Magnum.)

The Murano's a tall Altima Station wagon with some really cool upgrades, but Marketing knows selling it as an Urban SUV will work a lot better than a tall station wagon. It's the things people like about SUVs combined with what they like about cars. The ones that have never driven their SUVs off road, that is... And that's most of them.

If the evil SUV press explodes into a witch hunt, they can restyle the Murano without the fake front and back skid plates and call it an urban wagon....;)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I am getting rid of my MO....I don't want to be driving a station wagon......yaaaaak......:3:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts