Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sun-Sentinel in S. FL ran this article in today's edition comparing the two for tire inflation.

PLANTATION -- Gassing up your car's tires at a nitrogen pump, some think, might save money when it comes time to gas up at the fuel pump.

Motorists seeking an improvement in their car's fuel efficiency can fill their tires with nitrogen, which keep tires at the recommended pressure for six times longer than conventional air and maintain a more efficient ride for a longer time, said Robin Pearl, president of Sunrise-based N2Revolution Inc. With gasoline prices climbing, Pearl said Friday, the difference could be significant.

"Will it solve the problem?" he asked. "No, but it's going to make a difference."

The new technology debuted recently in Plantation, at North Star Auto Clinic, 381 N. State Road 7.

After a test run there, N2Revolution's nitrogen pumps were added at service centers in Fort Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Pompano Beach and Margate, with more outlets expected to offer the service in Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties next month.

The U.S. Department of Energy reported motorists can improve their mileage more than 3 percent by keeping their tires at their correct pressure, and experts said steady tire pressure also can make a car's ride smoother and safer while extending tires' life span.

The addition of nitrogen, a safe inert gas that won't seep as quickly from tires as conventional air, doesn't directly affect a car's mileage, but keeps a tire's pressure more stable over time for maximum efficiency, experts said.

At North Star, getting tires filled with nitrogen will cost around $30, slightly more for large sport utility vehicles, according to owner Bruce Reese. Customers can come back and get their tires checked and topped off with nitrogen at no charge.

"If $30 can make their tires last longer and run safer," Reese said, "then it's well worth it."

Some folks aren't so sure.

Officials at Michelin and Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company said paying extra to fill a car's tires is no more effective than regular checks.

"Whether you're putting in air or nitrogen, make sure you have the right air pressure," said Goodyear spokesman Jim Davis, reminding drivers to use the pressure in their owner's manual and not the maximum pressure stamped on the tire side wall. "That's the key."

Michelin officials released a statement saying nitrogen was useful in certain high-risk environments, but the company's tires performed just as well when filled with air at the proper pressure.

The other side of the argument, however, said many motorists simply don't check their tires regularly, so filling those tires with nitrogen allows people to go longer between checks.

"For 99 percent of the population, nitrogen is a good thing," said Bill VandeWater, an engineer with Bridgestone Americas in Nashville, Tenn.

"If you're a conscientious consumer who checks your tires every month, then it's not a big advantage. You find you're down one PSI [pound per square inch] and you add that PSI and you're fine. But unfortunately, most people aren't that conscientious, so nitrogen will definitely help."

Nitrogen is becoming available because of the development of a new filter that can be mated to a compressor system, eliminating the need for delivery of bottled nitrogen.

The system -- named the Nitroflator -- takes air, extracts the oxygen and water vapor, and sends 98 percent pure nitrogen into tires.

Nitrogen is a more stable gas with larger molecules than oxygen and less likely to leave tires through any small leaks. Nitrogen also has no corrosive effects, as oxygen does.

American Automobile Association spokesman Gregg Laskowski said his organization believes nitrogen, by maintaining tire pressure, could be critical to vehicles' performance and safety.

Earlier this year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration called for new cars to have systems to monitor tire pressure, saying they could save more than 100 lives a year.

"People need to be taking care of this and get on top of it," Laskowski said. "Not just so they can save on gasoline, but to ensure their own safety."

Kevin Smith can be reached at [email protected] or 954-572-2009.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Argon

As posted in detail previously, I use Argon, for all the reasons posted in great detail previously, Suggest search. Nitrogen @ 100%is 100% Baloney.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
All mid to large aircraft and most race cars use nitrogen to inflate their tires. It can't be all baloney if they rely on nitrogen.

-njjoe

·
4,994 Posts
njjoe said:
All mid to large aircraft and most race cars use nitrogen to inflate their tires. It can't be all baloney if they rely on nitrogen.

-njjoe
Maybe it because they :

1. Don't know what they don't know.
2. Don't know about Argon.
3. Need more classes in Chemistry and Physics.

Only here to provide food for thought opportunities, everyone gets to do what they want (assuming it legal or they don't get caught). The results are what they are.

Oh! I just had another thought, it out might be the same engineers that design landing gear for AirBus.

I can see you "Scream" now (Like the Avaitar)

·
4,601 Posts
I'm with Grip... It's small, tiny truths, blown up and twisted by marketing people to the point where they can make you actually believe it makes a difference.

Why would a race car use Nitrogen? Easy, no moisture and predictable results in a high stress environment, due to the known mix of gases inside. I suggest the next time you run an F1 race, you get some.

Atmosphere is mostly Nitrogen. There's better ways to improve fuel milage. Stop stepping on the gas pedal so hard.

Audiophiles.... Ever hear of the pitch for Oxygen free copper in speaker wires? Same twisting of facts that don't matter.

What cracks me up are Monster Cables... There's a marketing machine for decent cables, grossly overpriced.

We want to believe.... and they see us with our wallets open and tell us what we want to hear.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gentlemen,

Please don't get me wrong, I am not advocating the use of nitrogen, argon, or Gatorade in automobile tires. Simple air works just fine in 99.9999% of applications. It would take an extraordinary set of circumstances for me to use something other than air.

However, there are circumstances where non-standard fill material is preferred and/or mandated for tires. Business jets (I worked for Dassault Falcon Jets for several years) are required to use nitrogen. Race cars utilize nitrogen.

Will nitrogen enable your Murano to cruise at 45,000 feet or take a turn in excess of 1g? Hell no! But, to each their own. If you wan't to fill you tires with nitrogen, argon or Gatorade, go for it. For me, I will continue to use air from a hand pump. If checking the air pressure is part of your weekly maintenance routine there is no need to use anything more exotic than simple air.

I feel better now that I got that off my chest. Now it's back to watching the Yankees kick butt.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I guess the marketers don't want you to know that normal air has 75% nitrogen already. They also bank that customers know NOTHING about chemistry. Oxygen molecules are slightly larger than nitrogen molecules. Use logic - if something is leaking out a of a small hole, smaller objects leak faster (i.e. nitrogen).

I agree with Grip. 100% nitrogen is pure hype. Normal compressed air is fine for your car. Its super easy to maintain your tire pressures, why should ANYONE pay extra for anything other than free compressed air. I can understand the *neat* factor of an inert gas like Argon but 99.9% of people don't have access to it, so its not a realistic choice for many.

·
4,601 Posts
I think we should make tires clear, fill them with Argon and put two electrodes inside at a high potential to illuminate it.

·
4,994 Posts
Jack is RIGHT!!

jaak said:
I think we should make tires clear, fill them with Argon and put two electrodes inside at a high potential to illuminate it.
When the Manned spacecraft center opened near Houston Tx. Goodyear made a special set of "CORDLESS TIRES" That were filled with NEON and Electrodes so that the car looked like it was riding on Rings of FIRE for the occasion. Very speed limited and short life but VERy spectacular.

As a grad from U of F I like the Idea of Gatorade. Unfortunately the compressability of liquid might be a bit of a rough ride.

·
4,601 Posts
That would have been pretty cool to see!!!

·
4,994 Posts
I am trying to find the picture on the web, It MUST be there someplace.

jaak said:
That would have been pretty cool to see!!!
G

·
4,601 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed Grip. Big glowing neon donuts... Makes me chuckle just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts