Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to let you know, we had 3 muranos all with that same, off the line hesitation problem. Took one if them to nissan who said it was the transmission. I paid 1200 for a rebuilt and supposedly they extended warranty. But when I drove it home, same problem so I traded it in for a new car. That was a year ago. Then I decided to go to auto mechanic school, I was tired if getting ripped off.

Turns out the trans wasn't bad. After being in school now, I checked one of our other Muranos. Problem is a simple 80 dollar air inlet flex piece that connects air filter to throttle inlet. The mass airflow sensor is by the filter. All of these tubing go bad in the ribbed section, it cracks, leaks in air after maf sensor and you get hesitation and more gas usage. Checked 3rd murano, same piece had a crack. Both are running fine. I wish I had known before I got a new trans and traded one in.

That's why I wanted to be a mechanic. Tired of getting ripped off. Be careful, believe me, every place out there is going to drastically over sell on parts needed to fix the car
What did you replace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its in the post. Replaced the throttle body inlet. Wiggle the ribbed section with engine at idle. If your idle changes at all, you have a crack in between ribs. Need to replace that plastic air inlet. It cracks over time. Its only 85.00. It connects the air filter housing to the throttle body.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I recently got a tune up and had them replace this very same piece under the hood. Complete difference behind the wheel, except I still have issues of high RPMs with no change of gear. Is that a sign of a gear slip or an issue with the sensors? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,348 Posts
So I recently got a tune up and had them replace this very same piece under the hood. Complete difference behind the wheel, except I still have issues of high RPMs with no change of gear. Is that a sign of a gear slip or an issue with the sensors? Thanks in advance.
Remember, you don't have gears. You have constantly varying drive ratios caused by the pulleys in the tranny adjusting.

If you keep hard on the gas, the engine should fairly quickly rev to @6K RPM and stay there until you let up. (I always liked that!) Once you reach peak RPM your speed will keep increasing without the revs increasing.

OTOH, if you're not keeping the gas pedal down, the drive ratios should change so the RPM shouldn't need to peak.

What are the conditions under which the RPMs are high? Full throttle or part throttle?

Reactions: SLawd10

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remember, you don't have gears. You have constantly varying drive ratios caused by the pulleys in the tranny adjusting.

If you keep hard on the gas, the engine should fairly quickly rev to @6K RPM and stay there until you let up. (I always liked that!) Once you reach peak RPM your speed will keep increasing without the revs increasing.

OTOH, if you're not keeping the gas pedal down, the drive ratios should change so the RPM shouldn't need to peak.

What are the conditions under which the RPMs are high? Full throttle or part throttle?
Actually exactly what you had mentioned. Just when my foot was on the gas pedal did I see such high RPMs and to reach the desired speed. CVT, its convenient, I'm still adjusting, and thank you so much for the clarity.

·
Super Moderator
8,348 Posts
I found it immensely fun to nail that gas pedal down at the top of a freeway entrance ramp, watch the tach climb to 6,000 RPM and then watch the speedo continue to move while the revs hang in there at 6K. Made it easy to enter traffic moving as fast or slightly faster than the traffic, which is my preferred way to merge.

It's exactly what the car is built to do, but even so, it always was a bit strange to see no change in the tach while the speedo continued to climb.

Reactions: PaulDay
21 - 26 of 26 Posts