Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early Murano built April 2003 and I just noticed that I have no L on the gear selector. I do have the Ds and also the + and - shift but it is locked/disabled. Are all the early Murano like that or do I have a specimen of the projected but never produced CVT.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Wow! That sounds very odd indeed. Sounds like you might have some early project, but I can't understand why it would be released with the +/- and it being inoperable. Moreso, I cannot understand why you would purchase a car that had this feature visible but disabled?

Very peculiar. I'm interested to hear what others say.

·
Registered
842 Posts
muraniac said:
I have an early Murano built April 2003 and I just noticed that I have no L on the gear selector. I do have the Ds and also the + and - shift but it is locked/disabled. Are all the early Murano like that or do I have a specimen of the projected but never produced CVT.
My Mo was built in Febuary of 03 and has all three shift modes, D, Ds, and L. All three forward gears work.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
What +or- ?

Sounds like you have some kind of hybrid.

"IF" the Murano was going to be a collectors item (I doubt it very strongly) you would have a wonderful model.
As it is, you have something that needs to be fixed IMO.

BUT, Nissan could be "played" a bit on this IMO.

Since you have had it for quite awhile and it hasn't bothered you........

I would write Nissan a letter and see if they would like it back.
Even trade for an 05 would be about right................;)

Homer

How about some Pix of the +&- ?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Interesting...Did you buy the car new? If not, maybe the shifter cover has been changed? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the +/- for an SE model where you can manually shift up and down? Try it to see if it works by moving the shifter towards + (gear up) or - (gear down) as you are driving.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
muraniac...seeing is believing...

can you post pics? Maybe it will clarify the issue ? :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Sounds like he got one of the very early prototype models never "officially" sold to the public! I'd love to see a pic of the shifter.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
He says the car was built in April 2003, so it shouldn't have the manual option like the 2004. We need a lot more info to understand what he has.
Could it be a Central America car without a CVT??

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Mine was build on march 2003 and ..

do have the D and Ds and L but no +/-. to my understanding, +/- is a tiptronic shift mode available on 2004 model onwards.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
It's interesting though because when the Murano first came out and I was looking into buying them all of the magazines and even Nissan themselves had pictures of the +/- tiptronic transmission option on their sites. After some time passed they officially said that this option would not be available because Nissan could not get it to work right. Perhaps you do have a 'collector MO'. What color is it? If its a Sunlit Copper with Cabernet(?) interior then maybe you have the Murano from some of the photoshoots. More info (and pics) is indeed needed! :29:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Muraniac does you MO have chrome roof racks??...lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all, the general interest on this issue is interesting. I have the polished pewter Murano with the fabric cabernet interior. I do have the CVT no doubt about that with all the operating features largely discussed on this forum. I guess I did not realise the peculiarity of my gear selector precisely because it looked like the prototypes shown on reviews and publicity. However, I do not see my model in the owner's manuals (the French and English versions) I received with the car. The selector I have is indeed the triptronic and the + and - must be for up and downshift but as I said yesterday this feature is not operational. Besides this peculiarity and replacement (twice) of the Boose head unit, the car has been trouble free and outperforms anything I have owned or tried before. I have to borrow a digital camera to post a picture of the gear selector.

Muraniac

·
Registered
741 Posts
Muraniac, I'm not very far and I'd love to see this. We have to get a Montreal-Quebec area meeting because my guess is that we are already a few members here. How about starting a local club? :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think I know what the problem is.
You have a truly authentic Japanese vehicle.

There is no "L" in the Japanese Alphabet.
I got this from a website:

Basically, Japanese has only five vowels, a, i, u, e, o. In connection with consonants, k, s, t, n, h (or f) m, y, we have 48 alphabet.

Rotsa Ruck?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
elliotgb..you are right..

I am not japanese but i speak it.

Yes, there is no L in that language.
Acording to the study of japanese linguistic, it is very impolite to pronounce a word/vowel/diftong with your tongue partially or fully coming out. Hence, vowels like L or R or TH are non existant in their language. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
muraniac said:
My MO has a build date of 12/02, and it doesn't have this type of gear selector. It has the same one that everyone else does, D, Ds, L. What's up with that?

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
my build date is 11/02 and it has the regular shift.

maybe you have a foreign model (imported??) are you the original owner??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am just returning from a visit to the dealer. I have no picture of my shift plate but indeed it is the same as the 2004 SE with the optional triptronic which must then be the one originally planned in the original Murano project. Apparently, it is just a mistake on the plate installed. They have installed the triptronic shiftplate on a regular 2003 gear selector. The operating mode of the regular and triptronic differs slightly. On the triptronic, there is no Ds, it is either D or +/-. In my case, even though there is no s on the shift plate, when I push the lever toward the +/- it shows Ds on the selector indicator on the dashboard. Apparently then the tranny cannot go into L just because of obstruction by the plate. They have ordered the parts and I will keep you informed of the outcome.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Less likely: A mistake during assembly
More likely: Someone dropped something on the plate ad dented it at the dealership. They ordered the piece to replace it but got the wrong one and never realized it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts