Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got one of the “trade your Murano in for a new Murano” letters.
we have a 2016 SL with 32k on it. Excellent shape. Wife loves it. So after laughing at their “offer” for our car, we realized that Nissan is still producing a 7 year old body.

what the heck Nissan? can they not come out with a new design? We will be in the market for a new car but no way would I buy what I already have

·
Registered
137 Posts
So I got one of the “trade your Murano in for a new Murano” letters.
we have a 2016 SL with 32k on it. Excellent shape. Wife loves it. So after laughing at their “offer” for our car, we realized that Nissan is still producing a 7 year old body.

what the heck Nissan? can they not come out with a new design? We will be in the market for a new car but no way would I buy what I already have
It looks like there still will be another:

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
178 Posts
The Murano's sales are way down and Nissan's development money is on electric vehicles. They have officially stated they will not develop internal combustion engines for any vehicles that are not trucks. The Ariya is the logical replacement for the Murano and I will bet a dollar that the current Murano is the last Murano.

This is not 1962 when "styling" was changed every year but the vehicle underneath stayed the same. Writing is on the wall here. The Murano is already way over-styled and frankly its looks now make more sense than they did in 2015.

I personally LIKE a long model run because parts will be available for mechanical problems, glass breakage, or collision repairs.

·
Registered
2019 Murano Platinum FWD Cayenne Red/Charcoal
23 Posts
One reason that sales were down last year was that they stopped producing Murano for awhile. My dealer said they can not get them and have requests to order them they could not honor. I find that odd, since they are available in Illinois according to auto trader. I doubt it would be a huge seller but availability is apparently an issue.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One reason that sales were down last year was that they stopped producing Murano for awhile. My dealer said they can not get them and have requests to order them they could not honor. I find that odd, since they are available in Illinois according to auto trader. I doubt it would be a huge seller but availability is apparently an issue.
I think this was true for a lot of car brands. Inventory was low and the ability to order was difficult. A lot of dealerships started to look like used car lots because they had more used vehicles available than new inventory. This was true for the largest Nissan in the region in my area so it wasn’t just Muranos that were hard to find. I looked over a 3 state radius when trying to decide if I were going to give Nissan one more try and the availability for everything was slim. Experienced the same when I shifted my focus to other manufacturers. Few options, limited trim choices, and the start at that time of dealerships in some areas tacking on thousands more in the name of “market adjustments”

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
178 Posts
Nissan will build the vehicles they can make the most money on. I bet they have been diverting any common parts from the Murano to the Pathfinder, which they are trying to launch into a market where they need a foothold against the Explorer/Pilot/Highlander/Kia/Hyundai stuff. Midsized 3-row SUV's seem a bit hotter than their 2-row counterparts.

Before the pandemic, Muranos were rebated and discounted more heavily than most other vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I joined this group in anticipation of buying a Mo but as fate would have it; pandemic,shortages,dealer theft {market adjustment}, really! I could not justify overpaying for a car, any car, let alone a car that looks similar to an almost 10-year-old car! No updates to electronics nothing! I really wanted a V6, but I don't like that forsaken grille that to me is the only comparable model the Lexus RX. I am not sold on EV. Not until it takes the same amount of time to charge it as it does to fill up my gasoline engine. I am now focusing on the RDX. Guess I will need to join their group. Really disappointed I love that SUV.

·
Administrator
9,990 Posts
I joined this group in anticipation of buying a Mo but as fate would have it; pandemic,shortages,dealer theft {market adjustment}, really! I could not justify overpaying for a car, any car, let alone a car that looks similar to an almost 10-year-old car! No updates to electronics nothing! I really wanted a V6, but I don't like that forsaken grille that to me is the only comparable model the Lexus RX. I am not sold on EV. Not until it takes the same amount of time to charge it as it does to fill up my gasoline engine. I am now focusing on the RDX. Guess I will need to join their group. Really disappointed I love that SUV.
Check out the Mazda line. They have some nice alternatives.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
178 Posts
The RX costs $10k+ more than the Murano and our local dealers seem to be discounting Muranos more than any other Japanese brand SUV. The Rogue and Pathfinder are hot sellers for Nissan.

The RDX has a turbo 4 that needs premium fuel and uses more fuel than the larger Murano. As per Pilgrim, Mazdas are also nice but the CX9 has a high-output 4 cylinder turbo engine that needs premium fuel. (You seem like enough of a cheapskate, like me, that you don't want to pay 80 cents a gallon more for premium.)

Again, the availability of spare parts for the Murano is an advantage as I see it. And I like no turbos, no direct injection.

It's not like anyone but us fans/owners know what the Murano really is or how old it is. Especially with electronics, "new" means "huge unfixable problems" in these times of Covid and chip shortages.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We traded our 2015 Platinum FWD with 87k miles for a 2023 RX 350 FWD with a mid-level Spec. (12.4” Nav, middle level stereo, bamboo steering wheel, small sun roof, 20” wheels, fake leather). We loved the Murano but the panoramic roof liner detached, our HVAC vents were spitting nasty insulation material, and exterior plastic trim pieces were crumbling. This reminded us of our Gen. 2 that had its dash and other plastic parts dissolve, so we made the trade. After 5 months I will say the Mo. was a solid value purchase in 2015 compared to the then RX in that the Mo. was near the same level of interior with for us more comfortable seats and we prefer Nissan safety tech functionality over Lexus/Toyota. The Mo. also had more interior room, and subjectively a better style (we don’t like the Lexus grill!). The RX costs more, however we do feel it has a step-up in quality especially in cabin quietness. We looked at many other 2 row SUV both near-luxury and luxury names and felt the tried and true reliable Lexus with a NA V6 was the best replacement for our beloved Mo. especially since we could not justify buying a 2022 Mo that was 99% the same as our 2015. We considered a Pathfinder even though we don’t need 3 rows, but there we none to be had by us 5 months ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We traded our 2015 Platinum FWD with 87k miles for a 2023 RX 350 FWD with a mid-level Spec. (12.4” Nav, middle level stereo, bamboo steering wheel, small sun roof, 20” wheels, fake leather). We loved the Murano but the panoramic roof liner detached, our HVAC vents were spitting nasty insulation material, and exterior plastic trim pieces were crumbling. This reminded us of our Gen. 2 that had its dash and other plastic parts dissolve, so we made the trade. After 5 months I will say the Mo. was a solid value purchase in 2015 compared to the then RX in that the Mo. was near the same level of interior with for us more comfortable seats and we prefer Nissan safety tech functionality over Lexus/Toyota. The Mo. also had more interior room, and subjectively a better style (we don’t like the Lexus grill!). The RX costs more, however we do feel it has a step-up in quality especially in cabin quietness. We looked at many other 2 row SUV both near-luxury and luxury names and felt the tried and true reliable Lexus with a NA V6 was the best replacement for our beloved Mo. especially since we could not justify buying a 2022 Mo that was 99% the same as our 2015. We considered a Pathfinder even though we don’t need 3 rows, but there we none to be had by us 5 months ago.
You sound so similar to where I am at. To me apple to apple oranges to oranges the only vehicle close to price is the Rx. Also, I, much like you hate that grill ohhh my God! But I do not want to pony up for a Mercedes or BMW.I want a V6 but the choices are becoming slim for this type of SUV.I am beginning to realize that I am going to have to give something up: either I will live the RX grill or I will settle for direct injected 272 horse power 4cyl {dear lord I can not believe this is where I am at] surely my dad is rolling over in his grave!

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
178 Posts
Ford Edge ST has a nice turbo V6, or Lincoln Nautilus if you want higher level trim. Caddy XT5 or Chevy Blazer, maybe, but they may be eliminating V6's in those cars. I like the GM styling; Ford proportions are looking a bit dated. Honda Passport is a nice V6 but is big and boxy looking but barely larger in footprint than the Mo.

I spend time at our local Velodrome (bike racing track) where Lexus is the sponsor and I do like sitting in RX's that they have parked there. They have a hotrod red NX Sport whatever in there now that I really want :) I looked at off-lease RX's when I bought the Murano in 2018 and I am not disappointed in any real way with the Mo. More room in the Mo than the RX to roll in a bicycle with wheels on. Most of all, the Murano seats are magical for my bad back and that's reason enough to hold onto it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts