Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after hearing a noise from the engine for the last week I took it in today and they report that the tranfer case seal had failed and that no lubricant was found. Entire transfer case is destroyed and must be replaced at about $4000 and will take 4 days.

They claim that the rest of the engine was lubricated just fine, but not the transfer case. Funny thing is that I have nothing that has dripped on my garage floor or my single parking stall at the office. Wonding if it is possible for a seal failure to drain the contents during a long drive and not leave any drips at home or work.

Noise sounded a like a whine that changed pitch with engine speed, almost like a power stearing pump gone bad, but variable pitch with speed.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen?

Of course I am out of warranty. This sucks.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Indiana-Mike:

How far out of warranty are you? Power Train warranty is 5 years and 60K miles. If you are anywhere near 60K miles I would fight it.

In response to your original question... The oil capacity of the transfer case is 5/8 of a pint. The oil may have leaked out while underway. It is entirely possible that you would not see any evidence of the leak on the floor of the garage especially after a long trip.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-njjoe

·
Registered
57 Posts
That transfer case seal is a piece of junk. I had to have mine replaced under warranty but like you their was no leaking fluid under my car in the garage. The leaking happened while driving and it burns up on the hot parts causing a burning oil/rubber smell. I really noticed it after 15 minutes or more of freeway driving and then exiting the off ramp. Within 10 seconds the cabin smelled of burning oil/rubber.

My dealer was very good about taking care of the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Call the 1-800 nissan number in your owners manual and ask a Consumer Affairs rep about the "Nissan Goodwill Warranty", which provides out of warranty coverage. For a 3 year old car (at most) there is no excuse for Nissan not to back their product, regardless of the mileage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
How do you check the fluid level in the transfer case ? As stated above, the powertrain warranty of 5 years and 60000 miles should cover this item unless one has exceeded the 60000 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
HuskyFan said:
How do you check the fluid level in the transfer case ? As stated above, the powertrain warranty of 5 years and 60000 miles should cover this item unless one has exceeded the 60000 miles.
There is no dipstick. You can only open the fillplug and stick your finger in there to feel for the fluid. The original post said "out of warranty" so thats why I suggested trying for the Goodwill Warranty.

·
4,601 Posts
The transfer case is a known weak spot, mine's been replaced and I took it back in because things are still leaking, but in a different spot.

Not only do they change the transfer case, but they change the AWD controller and switch to reduce it's effectiveness and therefore the amount of stress on this underengineered component.

I just got mine back today, but it's waiting on parts.

On order:

CVT

Alternator

Engine mounts

They say drive it, and they'll call when the parts are in.

I'll also say, I really liked that Magnum SXT I was driving from the rental company.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Sounds like you are one major Nissan screwup from a Magnum............

Homer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am at 49,000 miles and car is 2 yrs, 2 months old.

Called dealer and they are being d--ks about it and say that it is out of their hands because 'routine service' was not done at a Nissan dealership. They wanted proof of service records for oil changes an 15k service list.

When I asked what routine service should be done on a transfer case and seal, he was silent. "Well I still need your sevice records..." Bull crap!

How is an oil change going to prevent a seal failing on a sealed unit that has no motor oil supply to it? "Well we would have been able to see the leak and prevent the transfer case from being damaged." Bull. on a long drive across the state the day that I first heard the noise, I wonder if all fluid blew out.

I'm now on hold with Nissan N. America.......

They want service records........... ARGH!!!!!!!! Why does it matter??!?!?! What service should have been done to it?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Stick to your guns!!

As I am sure others will tell you, you do not need to have your car maintained at a dealership to keep the warranty alive.

The seal failed due to a poor design or poor installation. It did not fail due to neglect.

According to the Service Manual the Transfer Case fluid level is to be inspected (not changed) every 15K miles. Most upscale oil change centers will check your trans, dif, and x-fer case fluid levels during the engine oil change. (at least mine do). Where did you have your oil changed?

-njjoe

·
4,601 Posts
I feel fortunate that mine's still in warranty. I'm at 55,000 km and the vehicle's 2 years and 9 months from purchase.

Did a quick search and found:

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3490

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3514

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3574

There's likely more, as the cracked transfer case is often identified first as a leaky seal, or the customer is informed that their CVT will be changed.

My dealer told me they usually need to replace the CVT when this occurs. They asked Nissan about this, and Nissan declined this time around. Note, this is one dealer that already knows what they have to deal with, so the problem is not that unusual.

So here we are... Waiting on a CVT. I asked them why NNA doesn't stock these, since it's a known issue. Of course, that was an embarrassing question that caused some squirming.

So I've been told we have to wait for the parts to come from Japan for this vehicle that was originally built solely for the north american market. DUH!

Yes Homer, I'm not too happy with Nissan. I love the product, but the service levels have room for improvement. The transfer case is a weak link and should be redesigned.

But that Magnum was a joy to drive and I was almost sorry to have to give it back. To be fair, I had the 300 two days, and the Magnum two days, so it's not long term. But most rental cars I'm ready to get rid of a few hours into driving them. The 300 was nice, the Magnum I quickly became attached to, even without many of the accessories. Not having climate control, sucked though. Fortunately, it's an option.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Another shot of the leaky transfer case... and how it covers things in fluid. So not all of it ends up on the ground. Turn your wheels all the way to the right and have a look in behind.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
Hmmm... Isn't the seal supposed to be wet on the inside and dry on the outside?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great pictures Jaak! Mine looks very similar in appearance with fluid sprayed all over everything under there.

If NNA does not cover, I will see them in small claims court. I seriously doubt that NNA will take the time to fly in for the hearing and around here in SCC, if one party does not show, the other wins judgement. End of story.

·
4,601 Posts
If you want the originals, plus some, PM me with an email address and I'll send them in all their original resolution.

You can show them to the Judge and then explain, it's not yours. Then show him yours.

Hmmm... Seems like Nissan has a known issue!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, Nissan N.A. has done some back-peddaling and is now willing to cover the work under warranty. I'm not sure if it was the threat of a lawsuit, or giving them a copies of my last 3 oil change service work sheets.

At any rate, the service manager at the dealer pretty much told me that Nissan is the absolute worst to deal with on warranty work. I guess that he started at Nissan 2 weeks back and was previously with two other mfr's. His words were, "...Nissan makes the Owner jump through far too many hoops when it comes to warranty work when compared to others. Make the Owner scream before giving anything away."

Work on the MO should be done late Monday or Tuesday, so I hope that this is a resolved issue, however I will still be contacting Nissan N.A. to discuss their shady tactics. I love the MO and love the CVT, but after seeing Nissan's true colors, not sure I will buy from them again if this is how they handle warranty issues.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Indiana_mike..

Indiana_Mike said:
Well, Nissan N.A. has done some back-peddaling and is now willing to cover the work under warranty. I'm not sure if it was the threat of a lawsuit, or giving them a copies of my last 3 oil change service work sheets.

...... I love the MO and love the CVT, but after seeing Nissan's true colors, not sure I will buy from them again if this is how they handle warranty issues.
Mike, glad to hear that NNA will cover this!
Yeap, my dealer says exactly the same thing: it is difficult to work with NNA on warranty work. To be specific, they told me about the front suspension design problems on the 350Z (03 - 05). Owners need to yell, scream, threaten and complains to get NNA to budge.

My 03 MO is not out of warranty yet. Form the way I put milage on my MO, I am pretty sure it will still be under the 36,000 miles when it is 3 yrs old. If I am going to keep it beyond that, I guess I need to buy extended warranty :rolleyes:

Mike, hope you get your MO back soon!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Indiana_Mike:

Way to go!!

In this case it definitely worked to your advantage to push the Service Manager (and Nissan) to reconsider their initial decision. I am sure there are people out there who would have just bent over and taken it without a whimper!

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
LOL on "checking" xfer case fluid. Even if you could get the filler plug off and on again, no place to "stick your finger in". Correct fluid level is quite a ways below the level of the filler plug anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts