Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this posted a couple of times but no solution...

I have a 2005 Murano SL. A couple weeks ago I hit a bump and the sound stopped working on the Stereo. The radio is playing both AM and FM, and the CD looks to be totally functional, just no sound from either.

1. I checked all the fuses and they're all ok.

2. Another post mentioned that I should check the amp thats in the back, near the spare tire. That there may be some burnt plastic or the smell of burnt plastic. I checked this and everything seems to be fine.

3. They also mentioned checking the "ribbon cable". I assume that means the wires leading to this amp. Those all seem fine, are connected well and no signs of damage to the wires.

Any ideas on what else to check? Do I need a new amp? I'm out of warranty as well. How much would a dealer charge? Any after market options?

Details on my Bose amp from the plastic casing:

28170 CA10A BOSE H
BOX-SUBWOOFER
261005002F980367

Open it up and find the actual subwoofer:

Richbass woofer, DVC

Thank you.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
ClipperEric-

Welcome to the forum.

Unless you have pockets lined with gold I would not go to the dealer for a non-warranty replacement radio.

There is an alternative to a $1,100 dealer unit. You can send your unit to a company called Audio & Video Service Stop . They will repair your head-unit for a flat fee. I think the fee is $187. Several members have used this company and all were satisfied.

-njjoe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks njjoe

When you state, "You can send your unit...", which unit specifically? The subwoofer box? The speaker inside the plastic box? The entire stereo?

Also, another post mentioned that I should check the wire connectors behind the radio. I think this is where the "ribbon wire" problem is. Do you think this is a possibility for my issue? Is it worth the effort? I saw another post with a diagram of how to do this and it looks like a lot of hassle.

Thank you, Eric

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
ClipperEric-

I think you may have the subwoofer confused with the amp. The subwoofer is located above the spare tire. The Bose amp is located under the rear seat.

The dealer will charge you well over $1,000 to replace your radio. If you can readily afford it then that is your option with the least hassle. However, if you are like the rest of us then you can pull the radio and check the connections. If the connections are fine on the head unit and amp then I would send the head unit to Audio & Video Service Stop.

-njjoe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Thanks njjoe

ClipperEric said:
When you state, "You can send your unit...", which unit specifically? The subwoofer box? The speaker inside the plastic box? The entire stereo?

Also, another post mentioned that I should check the wire connectors behind the radio. I think this is where the "ribbon wire" problem is. Do you think this is a possibility for my issue? Is it worth the effort? I saw another post with a diagram of how to do this and it looks like a lot of hassle.

Thank you, Eric
How do I get under the rear seat? I didn't see an easy way to lift it? Are there screws to be removed somewhere?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Re: Re: Thanks njjoe

ClipperEric said:

How do I get under the rear seat? I didn't see an easy way to lift it? Are there screws to be removed somewhere?

Thanks for all your help.
You access the amp from the rear of the MO.

As you can see from the attached photo (courtesy of Onarum) the amp can be reached by lifting the rear cargo deck and removing the spare tire.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Repost: Sound problem still exists

I finally got back to it after a few months....

1. I checked the Amp and all connections. Nothing seems to be loose and no smell of burnt plastic.

2. Today I removed the stereo and checked all connections behind it. All seem to be ok.

By the way, here are some great instructions on how to remove the radio: http://www.sound-repair.com/index.php/nissan-murano-03-06-stereo-removal-instructions/

3. I removed the face of the stereo and found a quarter inside the cassette player. The cassette will not actually play anything now, this is a new symptom. When you put a cassette in it tries to play Side 1 for a second, then Side 2 for a second. Neither works so it ejects the tape. Could just be my very old cassettes. I don't really care that the cassette doesn't play, but the quarter could be the cause of a short that leads to other problems. Any idea how to check for this? No sign of anything burnt anywhere.

4. Checked all fuses previously. All are fine.

The radio and cd look like they are playing normally (you can here the CD playing and the screen tells you it is.). There is just no sound coming out.

So what could it be? I don't think its the speakers. Is the stereo itself the problem?

A previous post mentioned mailing it in to "Audio & Video Service Stop", but I'm not sure that the unit is the issue. This all started by hitting a bump, so I still think that something is loose.

Any ideas on where to look next?

Thank you,

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
andrewendicott
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing