Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night our trusty Murano left us stranded. Drove to fill a gas tank to run a generator and parked the Murano. Went and worked for a few (3) hours. Came out to go home - starts - engine idles for a few seconds and dies. Crank it again - never kicks off. Spend a few more times (I'm feeling like an idiot now as if something is going to change) no love.

Get out, have the wife click the ignition - no fuel pump prime. Okay, 2 options - fuse or pump. Check what I would think to be related fuses - they all look good. Call a tow truck and off our faithful companion goes to the dealership (Gerald Nissan, Naperville). The last 2 events I've had with them have not been great. I sure hope we get another survey.

I call the dealership when I get in so they are aware of what is going on. Talk to a guy who says it was in the shop and relayed my thoughts about the fuel pump.

Get a call later (10:30) saying they were just bringing it in? I again tell my story about what I think it might be - what steps I took in troubleshooting it. Says they get it taken care of and give me a call.

2:30'ish...

I call the dealership - I'm thinking it must not be the fuel pump as that SHOULD be diagnosed pretty quickly. No status. We'll call you when we know something.

4:00 - I call again. Fuel pump is bad (no sh!t). I ask "will it be done tonight?" Nope - tomorrow.

My problem...If it wasn't in the shop - don't tell me it is. Explain you are busy and you'll get to it when you can.

Once you diagnose the problem - let me know what it is and when it will be fixed - I don't care if it is tomorrow or a month from now.

If you have to order a part - I don't care. I can't expect you to have every part in stock. Call me and tell me.

Communicate...

What sucks is there isn't another dealership close. The closest one is another Gerald Nissan.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ironic..

I hit submit - I got a call from the dealer :)

Fuel pump is bad ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Seems to be a frequent problem here in the 2003 around here from what I heard at my dealership. Of course we have *really* cold winters here. Another problem that was however not adressed severely here is the wheel bearings going bad on quite a few 2003s.

My 2004 will soon meet its first real winter so we'll see how it behaves soon enough.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Winter

I can't wait for the snow to come here in NYC :2:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I find that the last thing the dealer wants to hear from a customer is to tell them what you think the problem is, and what your diagnosis is. Even if you are 100% correct, the apes at the dealership will insist on diagnosing it themselves (usually incorrectly).

Now for customers who don't know what they are talking about (such as people who take their cars in for a "tune up" or "winterization service"), I can understand how the tech might be annoyed at incorrect guesses. But it is clear you were methodical in tracking down the possible causes before bringing it in, and its unfortunate they still won't listen.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't blame them for checking my work - I do the same thing when people tell me what the suspect to be the problem.

However, a FP is pretty easy to t-shoot really. There's gotta be a fuel pressure test port somewhere...Got power to the pump?

Anyway, I'm more upset about the communication. I didn't give them an "I told ya so." When he told me what it was - I asked if it'd be done that day.

They have to order a part - it might get there today (Wednesday) - maybe tomorrow (Thursday). It doesn't really matter. I hope they call me today - regardless if the pump makes it there or not. I'm just glad we don't need two cars right now.

Things happen - things break. I'm starting to question Nissan service - but the more I talk to people it seems service at any dealership is sub-par regardless of make.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I generally don't trust the dealerships to get much straight beyond oil changes and lube jobs. I don't believe that there are many techs who are trained on pulling doors apart and putting them back together again properly for example. This is why I am living with my window tics.

Also, on my last checkup, I asked the Service Manager to check out my loose shifter knob. I suggested that we check out a MO on the showroom floor and one on the lot and then look at mine. The SM and I check out the 2 dealership models, both shifter knobs are solid. Gets into my car, touches the shifter knob, it moves, and he says: Gee, I don't see any difference at all. Lazy? Who knows? Tha's why I don't trust them for cosmetic repairs and why I am nervous for any type of major repair.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got a call - it is done. Woohoo - the Typhoon can go back in the garage. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts