Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Altima I had prior to my Mo had what some call torque steering. (Identified by stiffening of the steering under heavy acceleration) This was the first car I had with this feature and hated it at first, got used to it, and now miss it terribly since purchasing the Murano. Every time I hit a bump in the Mo at highway speeds it feels very out of control. Does anyone else feel the same about their Mo?

Edit: Before the rants start, it is not just the 22's either. I felt the same way prior to getting them installed.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I don't quite know how to answer this post, but I will make some guesses.

First of all Torque Steer is not stiffening of the steering under heavy acceleration.

Definition: The annoying tendency of some front-wheel drive vehicles to pull to one side when engine torque is applied. In other words, you step on the gas and the car wants to steer right or left. By redesigning the power train to use equal length half shafts between the transaxle and wheels, the tendency towards torque steer can be greatly reduced.

And then you go on to talk about, not heavy acceleration, but rather more or less no acceleration, but normal cruising at highway speeds.

and some problems with bumps.

Are you lamenting the fact that the Murano does not have speed sensitive steering?
With Speed sensitive steering, at low speeds there is maximum power assist. At higher speeds, there is less assist. This results in steering that is "heavier" at "highway" speeds.

In any event, I like speed sensitive steering and wish the Murano had it. I don't believe that it does.

And finally there is a condition known as Bump Steer that we run into with racing cars a lot. Most regular cars do not have a problem with this.

Definition: The tendency of a vehicle to suddenly veer or swerve to one side when hitting a bump or dip in the road. The condition is caused by uneven toe changes that occur as a result of the steering linkage or rack not being parallel with the road surface. This causes the wheels to change toe unevenly as the suspension undergoes jounce and rebound.

Now, if this is your problem and I "think" it is, then you may need a TSB performed.
It is unlikely IMO that the actual design geometry is defective on the Murano.
So I would have the dealer check out TSB 030059 which has to do with a loose steering rack. And yes, 22" tires would Aggravate the problem, but not cause it.

I have noticed no problems with my Murano hitting bumps at 70 MPH tho. Certainly nothing that I would not expect.
But I did have this TSB performed a long time ago and I remember that not only didn't I have the "Thunk" anymore, and no longer did the steering wheel alignment stop changing, but the steering felt "better". Tighter.

It's worth a try IMO.

Homer:1:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well worth a try I must say. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my original post. When I said torque steering was identified by stiffening in the steering under heavy acceleration I just meant that that is how you can tell if your car has it. When I think about it I guess it would be more of a pull to one side or the other but since it never seems to be the right direction I guess it could be described as stiffening as well. Also the jumping around on the road the Mo does when hitting bumps seems to be more while accelerating than just cruising. That could just be the way it feels because when you are accelerating through traffic you are generally thinking about more things (dodging other cars) and therefore aren't as focused on absorbing road bumps with your arms (counter steering). Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you still in warranty? Because if you are 22's void it. 20's are the largest you can put on without voiding the warranty. I was told this without asking when we bought the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts