Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have solutions or experience a noisy cargo cover? Must be enhanced with the colder weather but its driving me crazy. If I remove it completely the noise goes away so it definitely that cover.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It seems the noise comes from the spring loaded ends as there is a bit of play in the telescopic mechanism. I have had a look and think perhaps some properly applied velcro tape ( the cloth side only ) may solve this problem.

Living in Edmonton I appreciate that rattles and cold weather go together.
It has only happened a couple of times to me in the almost 30 years I have lived here but something you have to really experience is when you get in a vehicle and start it up to fine the engine mounts have frozen solid. The whole vehicle turns into an industrial vibrator and just about everything attached hits its oscillating frequency. Luckily it normally does not take long before the mounts remember what they are designed for as more than a twenty or thirty seconds could threaten to turn the average used car to a pile of parts.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, I get this too when going over a gravel driveway. It may be the springs, but it really just sounds like the 'hooks' that hold the cover pulled across the cargo area. The fit there isn't exactly TIGHT.. it relies on tension to keep it secure.

The cover itself also likes to flap and shake a bit when going over rough terrain.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
This might not help, but did you know the cargo cover can also extend "forward" towards the rear seats, there are two little flaps that hook onto the rear seat as well. That might reinforce the whole unit enough to stop the rattling noise.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the flaps connected to the rear seats... same issue. I personally think its come from where the cover rolls inside the unit. I'm going to try to put some felt or thing form on the entry/exit point of the cover from the roller. Theory is that this will apply a small amount of pressure on this exit/entry point and prevent the noise.

I'll let you know if it helps.

·
5,268 Posts
I took mine out. Considering the tinted windows I did not see real use for the cover. It just was annoying me.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Me too.
Took it out a long time ago.

Maybe I will put it in the attic next to the one from my
Bronco II. Remember those? ;>)

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
$355 for a cargo cover! :32:

But then I guess it lists for $393.50 according to my handy dandy parts list!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will not give up the cargo cover yet.... I installed some felt in the area there the cover extracts from... it helped a lot. However now I need thicker felt to elminate the noice and a way to attach it to the "sun shade" frame.

I'm going to have the dealer take a look a it when they install the new door harness to prevent me from getting locked out. Its been three weeks... still waiting for the part.

:(

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can't believe that cargo cover went for that much!

Anyway and on the topic of cargo covers, does anyones sag where the forward cover hooks to the seats?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd sell mine but it's a lease.

Took mine out as I couldn't see the need for it and it's just a hassle to deal with. Can't believe they couldn't come up with something better. It's bulky, there's no where to stow it, difficult to use effectively, and with the tint and shape of the hatch it's difficult to see in anyways.

I did find that it fits nicely behind the head rests when they are both down but I was nervous of damage to the leather or the unit itself as it quicky shed paint off various parts.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No sag in mine.... I did try a long piece of felt on the lower entry lip of the roller.... it reduced rattles by 80% on that thning. Almost an acceptable level now. However I need to find a good way to secure as when it not attached it will fall out when the shade is extended or retracted. I'll post pix when I have time for the modification.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK well this helped about 80%. I took some 1" felt and placed in the part where the "shade" pulls out along the bottom part. I then "tacked it in" place with heated glue. Just enough to hold it but allow removal. The felt is just tall enough so that the part of the shade that exits the roller is hitting the felt instead of the entire assembly.

Its been cold here the past few days so its been a good test.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The rattle may not just be coming from the cargo cover....thats what I thought, so I removed it....still had the same rattle. I've taken it in once to get it fixed (same time as the "other" rattle in the door/window area). The cargo area rattle is turning out to be the toughest to deal with. They tightened down some of the panels back there....it worked...for a day! I'll be taking it back in on Monday for a second attempt at the "cargo rattle"! When I told the SM that the cargo rattle was still there, even "he" said, "Yeah, thats going to be a tough one....just bring it back in..."

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine has been pretty good. When I remove the cover the rattles are gone. I guess I'm just lucky. :15:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have a good fix... which involves some felt. I'll send pictures still trying it out but so far its pretty quiet back there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts