Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an area of snowfall, not the heavy stuff of the NE, but enough to make it not much fun in my FWD MO with the stockers. I was looking at the Nokian tire website and saw two, one here. I will link to the other down further.

One, here: http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=29&w=1

The other: http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=17

I am leaning toward the second one, the WR AWP. It seems to fit my needs better.

Both come in 235/60/18, a close match to stock.

Any opinions, ideas, etc.? There are several dealers in my city, so getting them isn't an issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Nokian is an excellent tire but VERY expensive (even worse this year with the weak dollar). You really have to have a big need to spend that much money on winter tires.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Have you found a good price?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Exellent snow tire. We have the Hakkapeliitta's on our Toyota van.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ekaxel said:
Nokian is an excellent tire but VERY expensive (even worse this year with the weak dollar). You really have to have a big need to spend that much money on winter tires.
I don't have any good price sources, actually haven't even priced them yet. Any good alternatives? Stockers with chains? What?
Help!

My MO is FWD, no traction control. A lot of power is wasted on snowy/icy roads with this setup, meaning lots of slipping and sliding, but I bought it when I was living in southern Louisiana, not knowing I was moving at the time to someplace where it snows. Southern Louisiana is not known for its long and harsh winters with ice and snow. :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
You won't find a better all weather tire than the WR's. I opted for the Hak SUV winter tires on a separate set of rims. They produce a little more noise than the Hak Q's I have on our van, but are great in the snow and ice. Again, if you don't need dedicated snows, then the WR's are a great all weather tire. I have a Saab 9-3 convertible I drive mainly in the summer, but every once in a while in the winter, when family comes in and needs either the van or the MO, so I will put WR's on it when I replace the current tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
George

I have the Nokian Haks, studded, on my 03 Murano. They are expensive, but well worth the price in my opinion. I do a conisiderable amount of highway driving in the winter. These are the the best winter tires I have driven on.

If you need to drive on snow and ice I would avoid "all season" tires. They are really only 3 seasaon, even if they are manufactured by Nokian.

Search the forum messages for "winter tires" to see previous discussion on this topic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"I don't have any good price sources, actually haven't even priced them yet"

For what it's worth, I'd planned on getting the Hakka SUV tire, in 255/60R18 size -- an exact match for stock rolling diameter -- but by the time I got around to it just before Xmas, that size what exhausted in North America (according to two dealers). So I'm gonna wait and get them early next winter. Price in Cdn $$ is 292 per tire, plus mount & balance, and taxes. Painfully expensive, yes, but I need them where I am and the reviews I've read on the site below convinced me.

www.snowtire.info

pmw0826: extra set of rims? Stock? Or did you find somewhere a place with 18" steels?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi

I bought an identical SL set on ebay for $200 plus shipping for the four rims. They are great. I have the TPMS and did not want to spend the nearly $1200 for the sensors so the flat tire warning light goes on after 40 miles of continuous non-stop driving. If you stop just once, it resets the mileage clock to another 40 miles. . . . a little pain on the interstate, but only at night when the light is brighter than the other guages. There is no bell or other warning. Therefore, as I see it, this is not a problem. In the Spring I'll put the Eagles back on with the sensors, have them reset, and be back to normal. On the Hak's. . .again, I love them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
studded tires

NissanFan said:
George

I have the Nokian Haks, studded, on my 03 Murano. They are expensive, but well worth the price in my opinion. I do a conisiderable amount of highway driving in the winter. These are the the best winter tires I have driven on.

If you need to drive on snow and ice I would avoid "all season" tires. They are really only 3 seasaon, even if they are manufactured by Nokian.

Search the forum messages for "winter tires" to see previous discussion on this topic.
How do you find the road noise (clicking) with the studded haks. Have you lost any studds at highway speeds. Studded tires seem to be the safest way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts