Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
6x9 up front. 6.5 in the rear.

However the 6.5s are like my Z. The woofer is actualy molded into a larger piece, so a typical 6.5 wont fit.

I actually cut the driver out of its molding with a dremel in order to mount the new 6.5"

They use crappy 2 dollar speakers. I ordered some exactly like it from parts express a while back for 5 bucks each.

Even if I dont return the speakers to stock when we resell it, I dont think for a second the purchaser will mind the better SQ.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the 6x9's pretty bad also. I'm guessing that they are just dual cones. I think a nice set of 6x9's in the front would really improve the sound. Not that it's bad now. Anybody know what they put in as a stock speaker? I want to make sure that the nissan stereo can power a decent set of alpines.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Its a cheap paper cone speaker with inverted foam surroungs and a paper "whizzer" cone - thats integrated into the woofer. Only one actualy driver on this, where as most aftermarket 6x9s have 3 drivers.

I replaced it with an infinity Reference. Howevere beware!

The head unit does not have enough power to really run this 6x9, and the sound does not improve dramatically just by changing the speakers.

You can do what I did, and install a small amp (I am running 50 watts to each from a 200 dollar Kicker). Or you can try and find the most efficient 6x9 you can. Preferably with only two drivers, not three, like the reference.

But lemme tell you, after the amp and the 6x9s, it sounds pretty awesome. Much cleaner, with smooth bass and nice clean highs. And it gets much louder as well.

So, if you have the means, I highly reocmmend an amp.

·
Registered
128 Posts
By the way, I also replaced the rears, which are 2 way 6/5" Ininfity references, and before I put the amp in, the rears sounded much much better than the new fronts.

This is because they are more efficeint (smaller and ligher). So if you can find a very efficient 6x9 you should be fine.

The fronts were pretty easy to swap out, unlike the rears which you had to tear up the speaker (or make your own mount from 3/4" MDF. But I didnt feel too bad tearing up the crappy old speaker)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about an amp. Where did they mount it and is there a line out of the nissan head unit to do so without modification?

·
Registered
128 Posts
whaleblue22 said:
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about an amp. Where did they mount it and is there a line out of the nissan head unit to do so without modification?
I mounted it myself. The kicker I chose http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC04KX2004

KX200.4 has high level inputs, but I was getting serious engine noise with it.

I ran a pair of speaker wires (each wire being + and - ) to the front doors. One sire I attached to the speaker, the other I attached to the wire coming from the head unit.

Then I used a low level converter to change to RCAs, I grounded the converter, adjusted the gains, and voila!

All in all the isntall was easy, except running the power cord through the firewall!!! What a pain!

This weekend I am installing her sub.

I am pulling out the drivers side compartment in the wheel well and building a box similar in shape with the same hieght so the floor rests correctly, and I am dripping an 8" Polk dB sub in it.

It should rock and roll then.

My wife is very happy, and she doesnt care as much about audio as I do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oops, forgot to say, if you take off the side covers of the amp (dont need them) it is about 9" x 9" by 3" high. I installed it under the rear seat, but its so small you could find other places to mount it.

I like generators idea of mounting it under the rear cover.

All in all for my setup you are looking at about 500 bucks for parts: 75 for the sub, 175 for the speakers, 200 for the amp, and 60 for the speaker wire, but you could go cheaper... I used StreetWires here, 8 guage power, but it could be a generic brand (as long as its 8 guage or better).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a nice set of 4ohm boston two ways rated at 92db. I wonder if there is enough power in the head unit to power them.

·
Registered
629 Posts
whaleblue22 said:
Found a nice set of 4ohm boston two ways rated at 92db. I wonder if there is enough power in the head unit to power them.
Oh... it'll run 'em, no doubt. At 92db you might even be surprised. Don't expect the same kind of volume you got from the factory speakers.... then again, you never know. The factory speakers could be terribly inefficient......

·
Registered
128 Posts
Boston makes good stuff.. its worth a try, and you can always add an amp later if you feel like it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
ZBoy said:
Boston makes good stuff.. its worth a try, and you can always add an amp later if you feel like it.
I wholeheartedly agree. I have a very picky ear, let me tell you. With speakers, it's no doubt a personal preference thing. My personal preference is that I really love a brilliant, bright midrange, crisp but not tinny or overpowering treble, and a hard, solid, feel-it-in-your-gut bass that is not boomy or sloppy. I recently "test drove" many home theater speaker systems. I found the Klipsch RF5 and RF7 systems to have a very bright upper-end, but the horn tweeters tend to over-exaggerate the treble. The bass was solid but not balanced well. I thought the Definitive Technologies BP7000 were a beautifully built system. The bass was unbelievably solid and clean and perfectly balanced. My only complaint was the midrange was a tad warm for my taste. I also listened to Polk Audio -- not a single one of thier products turned me on. Same with the Bose. The Energy Veritas and Connoisseur systems were very impressive, but the price was quite high. The most beautiful sounding speakers I heard were the MartinLogan electrostatics. They were also cost-prohibitive and suffered from a side-effect of having a very narrow sweet-spot. Not perfect for a multi-function living room/home theater area. Vienna Acoustics and B&W both blew me away with beautiful sound, and a whopping price tag to match. Then, on accident, I stumbled across a set of Boston Acoustics VR975s. What a gorgeous, clean, bright speaker with solid and well-balanced bass. And they were only $1800 each, literally thousands less than anything else that sounded that good. I was sold.

I have also installed Boston Acoustics car speakers in numerous vehicles and every time I am completely impressed with thier sound and quality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also found a pair of eclipse rated at 98db which were really efficient next to the other speakers I demo'd. This may get me in the ballpark with the output of the factory speakers. Hopefully the factory speakers are 4ohm also and not 2ohm. Anyone know the answer to this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
whaleblue22 said:
I also found a pair of eclipse rated at 98db which were really efficient next to the other speakers I demo'd. This may get me in the ballpark with the output of the factory speakers. Hopefully the factory speakers are 4ohm also and not 2ohm. Anyone know the answer to this?
I can check this evening...

98dB is very good, my refs are 92 and did not sound good without an amp.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Z. I'd like to make sure before I put out any money. 98db is about the most efficient I've ever seen. A difference in 3db often will nearly double volume. Any idea what the factory stereo wattage rating is? I tested a highlander before I decided on the Murano and the nissan stereo sounded much better. I had a bose system in my mazda6 and I don't think it sounded much better than the factory stereo in the MO. I have an s model with the four speakers. Not bad.

·
Registered
128 Posts
whaleblue22 said:
Thanks Z. I'd like to make sure before I put out any money. 98db is about the most efficient I've ever seen. A difference in 3db often will nearly double volume. Any idea what the factory stereo wattage rating is? I tested a highlander before I decided on the Murano and the nissan stereo sounded much better. I had a bose system in my mazda6 and I don't think it sounded much better than the factory stereo in the MO. I have an s model with the four speakers. Not bad.
Its not much wattage at all, maybe 15 watts or so.

You know I was thinking, what I noticed (as did my wife) when I replaced the 6x9s and ran it off the head unit was that we actually lost bass. I attribute this to a less efficient driver. I dont think its due to higher speaker impedence because the rears were also replaced and sounded great!

But, it may be cheaper and more effective to run a tweeter and crossover inline with the front speakers. That way, you dont risk losing midbass/bass from them and you will definitly get more clarity...

Just an idea.

What sort of eclipse 6x9s are those? Eclipse makes good stuff. Their point source ones get LOUD.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
se8493. 4way 6x9. Hmmm, a tweeter with the factory speakers may be nice. Where are the tweeters mounted in the MO. I'm guessing the dash. Wonder what size will retrofit. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In the Bose they are in the dash AFAIK. But in the S, well who knows if the wiring is there or not.

The advantage of putting in your own tweets is you can put them wherever you want them!

If you go that route, hook up the tweets temporararily and place them in several locations to find where they sound best.

I recommend you consider what I did, order a new set of the plastic kick panels (I am sure there is a dealer you can find thru nissanmurano.org that would have them for like 15 bucks), and drill a hole in the new ones. Mount the new tweets in those holes, and most tweets you can angle towards you.

That should get you the best imaging. But do a temp mount first because the H.U. may not have anough juice to really push those tweets (although it should).

Also, I highly recommend a full crossover (one with a low pass for the 6x9s) so that you dont end up dropping the impedence siginificantly in the high range and toasting the H.U. (although that may be unlikley anyhow...)

·
Registered
128 Posts
whaleblue22 said:
Lot of options here. Thanks. Let me know if you find out the factory impedence. Thanks again.
No prob... options are what its all about. Although I still have to recommend an aftermarket amp. The difference is like night and day, even though the amp only puts out 50 watts per speaker...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts