Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to update the front factory 6 * 9's with MB Quart RCE269's and rear 6.5 MB quarts:

1) Does anyone have experience with the RCE269 or should I convert to a 6.5 component set.

2) Would the factory HU push these? (I'm assuming not, but never hurts to ask.)

Speaker component info
MB Quart RCE269 6" x 9" 2-way Component Coaxial System with .75" tweeter

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
MBQuart's take a lot of power. I'm pushing 150W to each pair I'm running, and it's just about right. You could try it, with the idea that you might want amp(s) as an upgrade down the road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are 6 x 9 's recommended for a component set, since we have space in the door? Or would 6.5 speakers be better acoustically in the front door.

Does anyone know how much depth we have behind the door panels to mount 6 * 9 speakers?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
6x9's will give you more low-end bass response than a 6.5" round speaker. If you don't have a subwoofer, that might be something to keep in mind.

A 6.5" round speaker will be sonically superior in terms of accurrate music reproduction, as round speakers are, as a rule, better than odd-shaped speakers.

However, if you're not planning a competition-level system, you will likely get excellent performance from a good quality high-end set of 6x9 3-way speakers. As has been said, MB Quart are power-hungry. There are more efficient speakers out there if you're not planning on a amp upgrade.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it worth while to get a 6 * 9 component set over 3-way 6 * 9 speakers? I'd like to mount the tweaters in the factory location since I have an 'S' and these are not present.

In your opinion, would it make a big difference for the sound staging?

·
Registered
629 Posts
You'll have more options available to you if you go with a 3-way coaxial. I don't see many 6x9 component setups. Many of the higher quality coaxial setups will let you angle the tweeter a bit, so you can point it up a tad and you'll probably be pleased with the sound.

Where to put the tweeter is one of those arguments that never gets settled. It depends on who you ask.

Some will tell you that it's best to put the tweeter as close to the mid / mid-bass driver as possible to keep isolation and soundstage separation to a minimum.

Others will tell you to put the tweeter up high and the mid / mid-bass driver down low because it helps move the soundstage forward.

Your mileage may vary, but *personally* I prefer not to "hear" any speaker individually -- the sound should surround you and you shouldn't be able to "hear" tweeters or mid drivers per se. Putting the tweeters in the dash is going to be harsh, in *my* opinion, but its entirely up to you and your ears.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I agree K.

I'll never forget the time when I visited a friend of my bro inlaw's who had a pair of HUGE infinity Q's in his livingroom. I'm talking 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide. It was a rectangle shaped room with the speakers on one of the short sides to the left of the main seating area. I was like ??? why in the devil didn't he have one on each short side? Then he cranked up the ampzilla and put on some classical guitar music. Holy cow, the speakers were sonically invisable. The guitarist was in front of me yet the speakers were to the left.
Amazing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts