Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im moving my existing nonnav display to a different location and like a dummy I cut the entire harness off, not looking to see if there were 2 of the same wires. Sure enough there are 2 yellows and 2 grays. Now i dont know where they go.. What can I do? Just hook all the rest up and tap the remainding wires while watching the display? Can the display burn out? I know there is a fuse under the hood for this.

Any Help???

Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
chrisk said:
... Just hook all the rest up and tap the remainding wires while watching the display?
Oh boy! That is exactly why I did "one wire at a time" when I moved mine. I am not sure what can be done but one thing is for sure: DO NOT TAP THE WIRES or you risk damaging something. The fuse will not protect against this damage.

You may want to download the service manual and study the wiring. Also, you can probably reconnect the other wires until you find out where the yellow and gray need to go. No harm will probably come from not connecting the yellow and gray wires for the moment. I have driven my MO with the display completely removed and the only things that did not work were my stereo and heat/air.

·
4,601 Posts
Here's what I suspected, looking at the SM. If there's no pin one, first thing I'd check, is the diagram of the connector and see if the SM's Pin 1 truly is the same...

I'll see if I happened to take a picture of it, otherwise, I'll pull mine apart tonight and have a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem Solved thanks to you and the diagram..

Thank You Much!!

And thanks to zebelkhan for sending me to this site!

I prob would of been out some big cash if i hooked it up wrong.
LESSON LEARNED!!!

Thanks Again Guys!!

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
chrisk said:
Problem Solved thanks to you and the diagram..

Thank You Much!!

And thanks to zebelkhan for sending me to this site!

I prob would of been out some big cash if i hooked it up wrong.
LESSON LEARNED!!!

Thanks Again Guys!!

Chris
Glad to hear that....and yeah...this site is awsome!

Make sure you post pictures of your install...:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will once im done. Im trying to do something like you did. I have the Touchscreen in already. now im just thinking about how i want to mount the display...

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
chrisk said:
I will once im done. Im trying to do something like you did. I have the Touchscreen in already. now im just thinking about how i want to mount the display...
I removed the switches for AWD and mirrors and the tray that sits under the radio. Took the display apart and out of its housing to make it a bit smaller. Had hell of time securing the printed circuit to prevent overheating and shorts so I ended up building a small hosing for it. Then mounted the display inside a wood frame under the radio over where the mirror and AWD switches were. Put two brackets behind it and screwed the brackets to the cover under the radio so that display could not be pushed back. Then built a couple of wood covers for the sides. Cut holes to mount the switches on the one on the driver's side, covered them up with vinyl that matched the color of interior, and then it was done.....:D

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, wanna see pics...

On a side note of interest to both of you, someone in the far east contacted me about creating a device for their Infiniti display to capture the information to the same style display so that it can be fed to their car pc.

If anything comes of it, I'll certainly get him to post, or find out if he's created a site or posted elsewhere...

Of if he's lurking, jump in!

This would allow you to completely hide the OEM display.

What makes this promising is to hear the technical background behind it. Many people want to do things, but only a handful of those, have the ability and knowledge (and time) to do it.

"Yes, you were right, I have to make a circuit to translate the information from the ribbon cable(the data that drives the LCD) to the monitor. It will be a circuit that including a FPGA or CPLD. This FPGA will capture the data and transmits to a PC by serial port. Once I get the data I can analyze it and I will know how it maps to the original display."

Sounds like a worthwhile pursuit. Anyone want to help him, PM me and I can pass your contact info on to him, if you have technical knowledge to share.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
jaak said:
On a side note of interest to both of you, someone in the far east contacted me about creating a device for their Infiniti display to capture the information to the same style display so that it can be fed to their car pc.
Is that the same member that was trying to do this a while ago? I remember you and him had some discussions about it on the board. If this unit is built, I would definitely be interested and I hope it will be soon as these displays are going away in 2006!

·
4,601 Posts
Hmmm.... Too much data through brain in last month, can't remember...

I'll let the brain cells churn, maybe they'll put it together as a background task.

I haven't heard from him lately. I recently offered to capture what's going on with a logic analyser, in about a week or so.

If you like, I can post the information in a thread here and point him to it, to see if something open can get started.

'Cause that would be really cool!

·
4,601 Posts
OK... I'll schedule it in!

·
4,601 Posts
Cool! The more I see, the more I want to do this... I just have to make it reversable for when it's time to finish the lease. (Next one I'm buying....)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts