Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm hoping someone can explain the difference between DVD based nav systems (like the nissan OEM) and non-DVD based ones (like magellan).
I pretty much understand the drawbacks of DVD based (expensive to update proprietary discs..etc). do the non-dvd ones automatically update the maps via satellite or something? I noticed one of the aftermarket websites said "flash memory storage for maps". So where do you get the map data to put on these flash cards?

I saw a portable magellen at sharper image the other day. looked nice, but was around $1500. I'm thinking we'll be picking up a portable unit within a year or so... We didn't want all the pkg options, so getting OEm nav would have been a $7K upgrade for us...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
BigRedNJ said:
do the non-dvd ones automatically update the maps via satellite or something? I saw a portable magellen at sharper image the other day. looked nice, but was around $1500. I'm thinking we'll be picking up a portable unit within a year or so... We didn't want all the pkg options, so getting OEm nav would have been a $7K upgrade for us...

Thanks.
No, the Magellan does not automatically update, although it can "learn" routes. I saw the Magellan Roadmate 700 at Costco for $1,000. I paid around $1,500 for my 750M which absolutely rocks. The 700 is smaller than mine, and the technology is 3 years newer. According to the box, the 700 works just like my 750. I love the portabililty.

I would buy another Magellan in a second. Although I don't have a Nissan NAV, from what I've read here, mine is just as good, if not better in many regards.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good. So, how do you update your magellan when the roads change?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts