Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it all today! Took my Murano in for service -- it has about 34k. Service advisor said I had to do the $600 30k service or it would void my warranty. I asked him where it says that, and he said in my service manual. I asked him to find where it says that (I had read my manual quite thoroughly), and he backed off and said something like, "If you don't do it you can be assured something will go wrong with the car". I said again, "Show me where it says my warranty will be voided", and then he suggested I work with another service advisor who "knows more about the Murano". The other advisor said I needed to have the CVT flushed for about $200, and I asked him where it said that. About that time a mechanic came walking by and the advisor asked him when the CVT oil needed to be changed. The mechanic said, "60,000 miles if it needs it". Holy crap! What's the matter with Nissan? Are they stupid, or are they just faking it?

Pete

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Amazing just amazing. I hope that someone appologized for their incompetance. That should be passed to Nissan NA.

To be clear (or at least to confirm that I understand)

1. To maintain your warranty you must have the required maintaince performed... does not have to be done by Nissan.... Safe all paperwork

2. The user manual doesn't specify CVT fluid change interval except for heavy type use.... so what does that mean????

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just another case of a crappy service department trying to get people to approve/do unnecessary work and reap profits from it. I would think there is a high percentage of customers that agree to the service, because they don't know and the service advisor makes it sound so legit. It's so frustrating.:3:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Can I add a crappy story.

I bought a extra intelligent keyfob from ebay for my Murano. I brought into the service department to ask them if they can program it... they said it would be a $100.00 charge. I said forget it.

After talking to someone here... they told me their Nissan dealer programed two of them for him and cut two new keys that go inside the keyfob for just $50.00 !!

I spend over $30,000 on a car and they want to charge me another $100.00 for something so small... try to rip me off.... aweful service. I wont get my service done there and it made up my mind of not buying a Nissan Extended Warrenty after I was 90% sure I was going to finally buy one.

ASSHOLES at Freehold Nissan Service Department !!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I received the same sort of b-s recently when I had oil change done by dealer at 35,500 miles.

Not to shift the attention, but my suspicion is that it is a suggested technique that originates directly from Nissan and not necessarily the dealer. The same sort of thing that you see with so many of the dealers claiming that they "really need" those trade-ins - just another mechanism for extending the revenue stream from their existing captives...uhh...customers by getting them in to another vehicle.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I have to say not all dealers try to rip people off. I've actually had my dealer talk me out of service that wasn't neccessary on several occasions.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I would suspect that in litigation/arbitration Nissan would be expected to demonstrate that any maintenence not performed was the cause of the failure in question.

Amsoil's lawyers get into this all the time when a manufacturer won't handle an engine failure claim . They have been forced to prove that it was oil related. (and can't in most cases)

·
Registered
301 Posts
JMcDonald said:
Not to shift the attention, but my suspicion is that it is a suggested technique that originates directly from Nissan and not necessarily the dealer. The same sort of thing that you see with so many of the dealers claiming that they "really need" those trade-ins - just another mechanism for extending the revenue stream from their existing captives...uhh...customers by getting them in to another vehicle.
I'm not so convinced that it's nissan influencing the service shops at dealers to push extra costly work on their cars. If Nissan wanted the work done, they would just state it in their maintenance schedules. I still think it's the dealers that push service work. It's known that the service department is what really drives profits for the dealership. More service work done = more profitable sales.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Murano is too new to have any such stories.

But on my Ford Excursion I have every crud game in the book tried.

Ford lost me as a customer over a 20 cent plastic rivet that holds a plastic trim cap on the seat track. He said the "COMPUTER SAYS ITS NOT COVERED" I said you guys just replaced a week ago the track it is attached to, that was covered.

I learned from the guy that drives the dealer shuttle, the service writers don't make any commission on warranty work. So they will always try to get you to pay for it out of your pocket.

I'm sure it would have been covered if I pushed. But I was so disscusted that they take any possible opertunity the stick it to me. Their first reaction was "turn this into a service docket" When he could have said " just a second, let me grab you one". I just walked out. I'm done with them, for life.

If Nissan tries the same crud I will be gone!

Ken D.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I don't blame you for not working with Ford, but what kind of a commission does a 20 cent piece bring????

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
What a terrible $tealership! Just awful.

Glad you knew what was right and didn't let them cheat you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I don't blame you for not working with Ford, but what kind of a commission does a 20 cent piece bring????

I dont' think that the service writer was thinking about the commission. But it was his legalistic approach that said "the computer says" This dealer has totally removed the human factor from everything.

In larger cities where we have dealers change name about every two years. Nobody is thinking about keeping a customer happy and building a longterm relationship. They just want to keep this weeks numbers up!

Maybe my expectations are totally outdated.
... We aren't in Mayberry any more.....

Ken D.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts