Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

On the way home today I almost got it. I was driving in the right line; other two cars were in the middle line. I was a little behind them, I start speed in up and I guess those 2 were doing 60MPH and I was going probably 65MPH. Suddenly, the very first car decided to change the line 15 – 20 feet in the front of me. He changed the line and presses the breaks very hard. Ohh man…I never press MY brakes that hard in my life, my feet is still hurts. I managed to bring my Mo from 65 to 0 in less than 40 feet. This is unbelievable. I think it was not me who did the job, but ABS and BS (brake assistant). If I would be driving my old maxima the best case scenario I would be talking to the police officer right now, the worst case scenario I would be on the way to hospital. How the hell this car can stop like that???? Do not get me wrong, I am very happy and I kissed my Mo before I went home (it might sound crazy but I am crazy :crazyeye: ). Well, I am home now, and already took the medicine (Johnnie Walker—gold label) but my hands are still shaking, so it’s hard to type. I did not know why the guy did something like that, may be he want to collect the insurance. But he chose the WRONG CAR to mess with. Now I know this for the fact. I am still thinking of what might happened if I would hit that car on 65MPH with 3500 pounds Mo and I am feeling the cold on the bottom of my stomach. Well I need another shot of my medicine….
:(

·
Registered
85 Posts
wow! i'm sorry you were put in that situation but i like to hear stories where the mo did it's job!
everybody talks about air bags and seatbelts sure but it's better when you can drive around the accident. i'm happy for you.
have another. you deserve it.
:7: :claphead:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Murano_driver said:
Suddenly, the very first car decided to change the line 15 – 20 feet in the front of me. He changed the line and presses the breaks very hard.
:(
Glad to hear your brakes came through for you and that you're still here to tell us about it!

I might understand his changing to the right lane if you were in his blind spot and he didn't see you, albeit still a bad move. But that does not explain his hard braking. I've heard of people intentionally causing accidents in order to collect insurance for injuries, but I'm not sure that's usually done at high speeds. I had someone pull in front of me in the middle lane once years ago then slam on the brakes and immediately pull away. I assume he did it intentionally to get me back for some perceived previous infraction on my part. But I wasn't aware of any and believe he may have mixed me up with another driver. I'll never know.

Anyway, there are a lot of crazy drivers out there, and I'm glad the Murano makes for a very reliable road companion!

·
4,601 Posts
Good thing it saved you!

The brake assistant is pretty cool... You can fake it into engaging by giving your brake pedal a very quick jab, without pressing it down all the way. It detects how fast you are moving the pedal and anticipates this as an emergency braking situation and hauls on the brakes faster than your foot could get them on, saving you some time and precious distance.

If you try this, make sure it's on an empty road and you're doing 20-30 mph. A quick jab, without going all the way and you'll get this thud in the brakes and then a release, since you've not held them on. Don't be surprised by how hard they come on...

The first time I discovered this, I was absolutely fascinated by it, because there was no way my foot had delivered the pressure to brake that hard. Smart system and I'm really happy the Murano has it.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Murano drivers

Murano_drivers:How the hell this car can stop like that???? Do not get me wrong, I am very happy and I kissed my Mo before I went home
Glad you are OK.
The murano comes with EBD (electronic brakeforce distribution) technology. This really helps in multiplying the braking effect in the case of sudden braking.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Murano driver
Glad that your car and your driving skills saved the day, it just proves again what good engineering and driving skills can do in an instant.

This is the second time that I have read in this forum that the Mo help saved the day, the other one was from a member whose wife was forced off the road and drove into a tree. The air bags deployed and he is convince that this is the only reason his wife is still alive now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like you foiled an insurance scam. You said there were two cars, was the other car beside you also? With no where to go they hope you plow into the back of the lead car since in most states the act of rear ending someone is automatically your fault. There's a name for this type of scam but can't remember it completely, it was even a Law and Order episode a couple years ago. They are really cracking down on it here in FL. My SL 500 has the break assist. Scared the hell out of me when I activated it for the first time. Haven't had the opportunity(?) to use it in the MO, however.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Whew MD! Glad you're okay. I agree with midniteexpress. Sounds like you were the victim of an attempted scam. Usually its done at low speed, but the classic set up is two cars with the car in front jumping in front of you and slamming on the brakes. The second car prevents you from swerving and BAM! you hit the first. Then, as you guys get out to assess the damage, the driver of the car you hit will either scam you for cash then and there with the driver of the second car being a "witness" to how you just rammed the first car "for no reason" OR they bear false witness to a cop and you get nailed for insurance hikes. Unbelievable crap!!

Posts like yours are good reminders not only of the Mo's awesome technology package (I totally forgot about EBD until I read your post!), but also to be on the look out for scams like this!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt. Could have been a very serious accident at those speeds. Sounds like a high speed version of "Swoop and Squat".

Swoop and Squat. A suspect vehicle suddenly swoops in front of you and jams on the brakes, causing a rear-end collision. Often the suspect car has passengers who pretend to have painful back or neck injuries. The driver and passengers then make large collision and injury claims against your auto policy.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I don't think I've ever been in a vehicle that brakes as well as the Murano.

Glad to see you were paying attention to what was going on. Had you been looking away for any period of time - it could have been bad.

:claphead:

Here's to you!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
This is one of the main reasons that I chose the MO. I'm used to little cars. Little cars can dodge accidents and stop VERY quickly. Always nice to have a whole bunch of safety features like airbags and crumple zones, and active headrests, and etc etc etc, but avoiding accidents altogether is much better, don't you agree?

People buy SUVs because they think they are safer in an accident because of their size and weight (not true, but that's what many people believe) but I've always hated driving SUVs because I feel that they don't have the agility to manouver out of harm's way or able to stop quickly enough, especially in the crazy Seattle traffic (I'm convinced that we have the stupidest drivers here). The MO was the FIRST EVER SUV that I felt had adequate handling and braking to AVOID accidents as well as the safety features to best protect me and my family if an accident DID occur.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yes the MO handles pretty good for its size and the braking has been designed very well too. Finally its nice to see a good design working well.

I could agree with you more.. a system to avoid an accident is a good system. Another great reason to wear seatbelts... keep you in your seat so you can stay in control of the car and avoid an accident. I can't image NOT wearing a seatbelt at any time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Phew, close call !

You ought to report the incident to police, irrespective with at least description.

However, there is no car in the world, including MO, that can stop from 65 to 0 in 40 ft, on a level ground.

In panic, it just may have seemed like it. The trick is the quick reaction time on your part. of course MO gets credit with a quick response to your right foot.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Glad to hear the Murano's excellent brakes (same rotors used on the G35, FX, and M45 by the way) stopped you in time. I think the Murano can do 60-0 in about 120 feet, which is pretty good (it just feels like 40 feet :D)

I remember the first time I slammed on the brakes, it was when merging onto the freeway and then suddenly traffic came to a stop. I stopped only inches from the car in front of me.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you to all for the kind words. I agreed I probably underestimated the braking distance, but it happened so fast, I just do not have the time to look around. :( But Mo stops pretty fast, so the distance was good enough. ;) Somebody mention that my car might be in the blind spot. But I never heard about the blind spot on the right. Plus I have HID and the fog lights on, so I believe it almost impossible to not to see me at this point. It definitely was something else, may be a drunk driver or the “insurance collector”. If he did this intentionally it was the stupidest thing I ever sow, never mess with 3500 pound car on 65 MPH. After that it might be you beneficiaries who will collect the money. Also, I am always wearing seat belt, I never move my car if the front passenger is “belt less”. My chest is hurt little bit right now, and if it was no seat belt I might hit the steering wheel. This is the second time when the Nissan help me to survive in the critical situation. Honestly, right now I do not care about rattles, shaking driver seats or broken CD players. It means nothing. I know this car can save my or your life one day and that what really matters.:)

P.S. Hehe, I forgot to mention that I keep training my reaction playing computer games, and flying my RC planes. I am 29 but I still love to play. :D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Glad you got out of it with Mo's brakes...I have had to do it a few times. Never heard the ABS groan like that before.

BTW, I am a gamer as well and at 45 I was a Quake 3 clan leader of Clan X, one of the largest gaming clans online. I still game, still Q3, Halo, UT2K4, and now one of my faves, Far Cry. My two boys also have gaming rigs I built and we lan all the time. My 14 yr old can kick my ass in Halo...but in Q3 and Far Cry, age and wisdom over come.
hehe
If you see me online, I am SHIVA.
:D

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Never heard the ABS groan like that before."

You a right, it was a scarry noise. I do not want to hear that again ever in my life.

Games are fun, playing games with your own kids = more fun:D

·
4,601 Posts
mgthe3 said:
If you see me online, I am SHIVA.
:D
Haven't done it for a while, but I used to get on as "you", which was really confusing on some networked games...

You'd get messages like "You killed You" or whatever. First time I did it with a bunch of friends, I confused the heck out of them...:p

·
Registered
593 Posts
Murano_driver said:
Somebody mention that my car might be in the blind spot. But I never heard about the blind spot on the right.
There can be blind spots on all sides of a vehicle. Well aligned mirrors can greatly reduce the problem, though.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
zofsuvs said:
There can be blind spots on all sides of a vehicle. Well aligned mirrors can greatly reduce the problem, though.
I guess you are right. Some of the drivers does not know how to aligned mirrors properly. There no blind spots for me, so at least I know I am doing it right.:2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts