Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the Pocket PC magazine and came accross this: OBDII Meter

It is cheap - $85 only. Anybody out there who tried it? It might be a usefull tool.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I'm going to make one of these. The difficult part is the software (and I'm a software developer). The actual hardware is really simple. See if there is a demo software available for you to check out first.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is that for $85 you actually get software......

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Of course. I'm just saying, you will want to make sure the software is well done.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I have one in my audi...(more info)

Be careful when they say OBD or OBD2.

So many car uses OBD interface (like USB in your pc).
It is 'universal' but not completely universal. Meaning: some functions are OBD2 standard, but some important features can only be accessed by special tools proprietary to the car.
Hence, to acess the FULL FUNCTIONALITIES of let say the OBD of an Audi (like my car), i still need to use a special obd tools and obd software.

In audi (and VW world), we call them the VAG tools.
I have a set. Basically, it consist of an interface and a software.
The software can be instaled on a pda or a laptop.
The laptop's one have more functionality.
Yes, it can do all sort of things.
Like throtle body adaptations, ecu learning, engine rpm plots real time, reset maintenance lights, test all sensors etc etc.
Try to see here:
Ross tech engine tools

Being said that, dont fall for a "generic" obd tools marketing ploy.
You may bought it, but no necessarily it will do ALL things.
Of course, one day, someone will come out with an OBD tools that is dedicated to access every Murano functions. Buy this one, dont fall for generic ones.

Hope this helps...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
With most generic OBD2 (2 is the standard since 1996), you can at least view all sensors realtime, view DTCs (and sensor snapshot) and clear DTCs. Unless you want more functionality, why pay more? A Murano specific version would be a lot more expensive than an $85 generic one. That and the fact you can't buy one yet.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Tyler...how sure r u the generic obd2..

will be able to commnicate with Murano's ecu and be used to clear DTCs? If this generic is compatible with Murano's OBD then yeah i think it is a good buy. Even knowing the fact that OBD is unviersal interface much like the USB in PCworld, sometimes for a certain car maker its pin-outs are slightly altered. This will make the generics not 100% compatiblilte.

To my knowledge, i tried to use generic obd2 tools on my audi. It wont work. Went to a mechanic friend and asked whether the car is is OBD2 compliant, and he said: "yes, but not 100% with generic tools.."... weird~

Morals:
1. One should try this obd2 tools on our murano.
I am not saying that it wont work.
2. Specialize obd tools for my audi cost around $200 (including software license). Maybe one day when there is one for Murano, it will cost around that.
3. Dealer's scanner tools cost $1500 - $2500 dollars. Crazy!
4. Our Mo is brand new, so if problem occurs, shouldnt we just bring it to the dealer and have them swallow the cost :rolleyes: Let them DTCs the car.
5. In a couple years, when Mo aged, hopefully there will be OBD2 tools in the market for it.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The dealers scan tool (Nissan Consult II) is much more than just a code reader. It can interface with every system on the vehicle and switch things on and off and also adjust computer settings.

The OBD2 scan tool you probably see advertised is a code reader for trouble diagnosis. It will usually give a generic OBD2 code, and unless you have a table lookup for the corresponding Nissan DTC, it might not be much help. All vehicles since 1995 have been OBD2 I believe.

The VW tool involving the software and laptop is similar to the Nissan Consult II scanner which lets you adjust everything on the vehicle. I wish there were such an application for Nissan!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Correct. All North American vehicles after 1995 (and some 1995s) are compatible with OBD2 (software protocol). There are, however, 3 different physical communications protocols, and pinouts for the connector. Some tools work with all 3, some only with 1. I believe that Nissan uses ISO 9141-2 or ISO 14230-4 (backwards compatible with ISO 9141-2). The other 2 are J1850 PWM and J1850 VPW.

You can probably do everything with the OBD2 protocol that the ConsultII does, but I doubt there exists a software set up to do that. The OBD2 protocol has a LOT of extra "command codes" available for "model specific" items. For all I know, ConsultII is just a REALLY expensive, Nissan specific OBD2 interface.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Question is.. Can this OBD set some of the parameters like Consult can? Like setting delay for auto light and set sensitivity for auto light and other things???

If it can, it is nice

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
yoyash said:
Question is.. Can this OBD set some of the parameters like Consult can? Like setting delay for auto light and set sensitivity for auto light and other things???

If it can, it is nice
No it can't. OBDII is a diagnosis tool, meaning it will read the code. Consult is a complete code reader which can also change ECU settings. This issue has been discussed many times, if you want Consult II capabilities, you gotta get one yourself (I don't even think you can buy it even if you wanted to pay $4000 for one, as its a dealer only tool).

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
yoyash, scroll up and read my posts too...

OBD2 is a protocol, a way most car can comunicate. The socket will be obd standard type as well.

Each car manufacturer, even after they claim have adapted the obd2 standard, they will also still have their other protocol proprietary of their own.

Standard obd will be use-able on most post-1996 cars. But you *WILL NOT* be able to access ecu functions, adjustments of throthle body and other cool stuffs dealer can do with their US$x,xxx tools.

IN nissan world, dealer's tool is CONSULT2
IN audi/VW world, we call it VAG tools.

As time goes by, VWs anthusiast and performance shops (example: ross-tech) came out with a mini clone version of the VAG TOOLS which public (owner) can buy for $200. Yes, it is almost 90% fully-funtional as the dealer's. Much more powerful than regular obd tools.

SO let's hope there will be enough demand on CONSULT2's clone for the MOs in 2 to 3 yrs

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: yoyash, scroll up and read my posts too...

SugarRushMurano said:
OBD2 is a protocol, a way most car can comunicate. The socket will be obd standard type as well.

Each car manufacturer, even after they claim have adapted the obd2 standard, they will also still have their other protocol proprietary of their own.

Standard obd will be use-able on most post-1996 cars. But you *WILL NOT* be able to access ecu functions, adjustments of throthle body and other cool stuffs dealer can do with their US$x,xxx tools.

IN nissan world, dealer's tool is CONSULT2
IN audi/VW world, we call it VAG tools.

As time goes by, VWs anthusiast and performance shops (example: ross-tech) came out with a mini clone version of the VAG TOOLS which public (owner) can buy for $200. Yes, it is almost 90% fully-funtional as the dealer's. Much more powerful than regular obd tools.

SO let's hope there will be enough demand on CONSULT2's clone for the MOs in 2 to 3 yrs

The Nissan Consult2 has been used by the dealer for many years now (at least since 1997 I think), and even with enthusiast vehicles such as the 350Z, G35, etc... I doubt we will see a clone Consult2 made since its been over 7 years and nothing....

For the VW's the VAG is particularly useful for the 1.8t engines. Perhaps since most Nissans now use the 3.5L V6, aftermarket computer solutions may trickle in, but I think that would overly optimistic thinking.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Eric, yeah you are right....

VAG tools is useful for 1.8T, because the engine is more modifiable (turbo, air intake, compression etc). I have the 2.8 Audi and the tools works just fine for standard recalibration of certain thing like timing belt angle, oxygen sensors, other sensors, engine timing etc.

I am still optimistic on clone nissan VQengine tools will be in the market someday. Who knows some one in this forum have enough programing skill, electronic skill and decide that this is a fun project for the wekeends. ...

:rolleyes:

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Re: Eric, yeah you are right....

SugarRushMurano said:
I am still optimistic on clone nissan VQengine tools will be in the market someday. Who knows some one in this forum have enough programing skill, electronic skill and decide that this is a fun project for the wekeends. ...

:rolleyes:
The only problem I see with this, is that Nissan probably charges ridiculous amounts for the Consult2 protocol itself. I did see a thread somewhere on FA about needing a programmer to write software for a Consult2, and they had posted a hardware interface design as well as a reverse engineered software protocol.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Eric, yeah you are right....

Tyler_Canada said:

The only problem I see with this, is that Nissan probably charges ridiculous amounts for the Consult2 protocol itself
You probably are right. A few years ago I was called to troubleshoot diagnostic tool for BMW. It run Unix, was size of a small desk and cost $25k! Every dealer had to have one! Nice business for the manufacturer..............

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
It would be nice to see a little competition in dealer diagnostic tools. Then maybe we wouldn't have to pay $80/hour for labour.

Of course then there is the argument, how do you know others are implementing it correctly? And then the counter arg, how do you know <insert manufacturer here> is implementing it correctly?

Oh well, what can you do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For anyone interested I built one of the ISO OBD-2 interface boards from scantool.net. There are three OBD-2 protocols and ISO is what is used on most asian vehicles. I hooked it up to my buddy's honda and infiniti and it worked fine as well.

For the murano it displays your oxygen sensors, air intake temp, cooling system temp, fuel bank trim, fuel loop status, throttle position, rpm, speed, air flow, engine load and DTCs(error codes). There are some other features of the software that have not yet been implemented.

If anyone is looking to buy one I think you can get them on Ebay for around $100 that include the digimoto software which will give you quarter mile times and a virtual dyno. I would also be interested in sharing the software.

It cost about $60 to build it as you have to buy the OBD-2 cable (25) and the chip(15). The board is optional, but I bought it as well as it makes for a nice clean setup.

I haven't generated a code yet just to read it (disconnecting air sensor etc) but I had a code early on and had to have the ecu reprogrammed via consult2.

I imagine the consult just uses encryption combined with the standard obd protocol to prevent access to certain areas.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
This is what I'm making too (not for sale though). Unfortunately, I can't use it, as I don't have a laptop, so I'm not in a rush to put it together.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts