Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got my 05 MO and was wondering what people are using for fuel, 87 or higher? I got it with a full tank and have yet to gas it so any replies or opinions are welcome...

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine is less than a month old and so far I have only used high octane. I am planning to try the mid-grade on my next fill-up to see how it does on that...

·
Registered
842 Posts
oceancon said:
Hi, just got my 05 MO and was wondering what people are using for fuel, 87 or higher? I got it with a full tank and have yet to gas it so any replies or opinions are welcome...

thanks
The manual recommends the use of Preimum fuel (92 octane) but I have lots of KM using Midrange (89 Octane) with no problems. The only time I use preimum is when I tow my trailer. I have and never will use regular fuel in my MO.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nissan states" Premium fuel is recommended for maximum performance". I use 91, I had one fill with 87 without adverse effects ( knocking or pinging) however the performance decrease was noticeable considering my driving style.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
You can do a search on this forum for long threads on this subject.

To summarize: using regular 87 will not damage the engine, but you will get a little more power and better fuel economy with premium (91+). The engine has sensors that can compensate for whatever fuel you are using.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm, I wonder which one is cheaper then, really! Up here in the Great White North, we are paying between $2.70 and $2.80 a gallon. Gawd! I want cheaper gas!:3:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gas prices jumped over night here in the US. This morning read an article where was over $3/gallon in Southern California.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Eric L. said:
Gas prices jumped over night here in the US. This morning read an article where was over $3/gallon in Southern California.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna start crying, screaming, and banging my fists a lot if prices keep going up. :) Maybe that will help. :3:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Well, I've resigned myself to thinking about whats still good about the whole situation - I still get to drive the Murano everyday, so I guess we shouldn't complain too much about gas prices.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Eric L. said:
Well, I've resigned myself to thinking about whats still good about the whole situation - I still get to drive the Murano everyday, so I guess we shouldn't complain too much about gas prices.
As if $55 to fill the MO isn't bad enough, it actually cost me over $10 to fill my motorcycle! Now THAT'S just WRONG! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I first got my MO in July, I used 91 oct. and had no knocking/pinging. When gas prices increased in October, I started using 87 oct. and the engine began to "knock" when I would accelerate. Went back to 91 and the "knocking" ended. Therefore, from my experience, I would recommend using 91 oct. every time.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I've commented about compression ratios in our Mo's a few times....
We have a 10.3 to 1 compression ratio engines. That is unusually high. Standard engines use 8 to 1. The higher the compression, the easier it is to preignite low octane fuels. Hence the standard 8 to 1, so you CAN run low octane without ping....without a compensation for timing like our engine uses.
8 to 1 engines can't make use of the added power of higher octane fuels. It doesn't hurt, it is just somewhat of a waste to use high octane in low compression engines. In our engine, higher octane use:
A. gives it more power
B. allows it to combust fuel without timing compensation

If you cruise a lot, I would think low octane is ok. If you are like me and romp it a lot, higher octane is what it wants.

IMHO, any ping is no good--preignition is way different than normal combustion. Normal combustion is like a powerful push on your pistons. Ping is like whacking it with a hammer....sounds just like it too. I don't want any whacking going on inside my engine, ever!

:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had three Pathfinders before this MO and did a lot of milage. I always used regular gas to save money. When I researched differant vehicles before buying tha MO I was impressed by the fuel economy of the MO compared to other SUVs. When I got the MO I dicided to only use high octane and I can't believe how much I love driving this vehicle. It performs so well I just don't want it to change. Gas prices are high but I'm still going to stick with premium fuel.

I LOVE THIS MURANO!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
For the record I have been mostly on the High test with a short period of a month or two on 89 octane. We noticed the difference in pick up and we heard a ping here and there and switched back to high test. It pains me to pay these outrageous prices but that is the route I'm going. We get too annoyed at things like pings and stuff, plus as Eric said, you do get a little better economy (MPG) with high test plus an added kick when you accelerate. I'm getting 1 MPG better with the good stuff.
Try them all and see if you can feel a difference.
Bob1

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've been using the new BP/Amoco "Crystal Clear" premium here that came out a couple months ago in both my cars. The MO actually jumped 1 mile per gallon from an avg of 15 to 16.1. The 'Benz doesn't get driven enough to really care about mpg. My go pedal habits haven't changed and I always run the a/c so that's not it. Will have to see if it maintains the gain when it hits the 90 degree mark and stays there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone buying 87 octane gas and then using an Octane Booster as an additive?

I know some of that stuff is spec'ed for 'off road only' ...
But I don't really know much about these additives.

I've never done it, but it has been recommended to me.

Any comments or ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
rbsmo04 said:
Anyone buying 87 octane gas and then using an Octane Booster as an additive?

I know some of that stuff is spec'ed for 'off road only' ...
But I don't really know much about these additives.

I've never done it, but it has been recommended to me.

Any comments or ideas?

An octane "point" is not the same as the number on the octane rating. Before you think that 104+ octane booster will really give you 104 octane rating fuel, read this.

Octane Booster article

1 - 17 of 17 Posts