Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...first time post here...Lookin at a new 05 and the dealer tells me that I have to run 91 octane in it. Is this true? The cost of fuel will kill me
Thanks

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
All these dealers must own gas stations! Running 91 octane will give you a little more power (how much depends on how much imagination you have and how heavy your foot is, in which case the cost shouldn't bother you). You will get about 10% more mileage on the highway, probably no help in town at all. 87 octane regular is just fine for most of us. The computer takes care of the difference in the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get a chance to read an owners manual either, but he tells me it says it in themanual also..

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It says (in 2003 anyway) "preferred" not "required'. There are conflicting instructions in different manuals. Bottom line is regular won't hurt you or your MO.

·
Registered
842 Posts
NCtravellinman said:
With both my 'Mo's, positive payback for 93 octane if solid highway driving. Around town, no significant improvement in economy from 89 to 93.
I agree, I use premimun when I tow my tent trailer and I get bteween 10-11 Lts/100 KM. In the city driving I get 11.5-12.4 lts/ 100 KM using midrange fuel.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Tell the sales person to read the manual.... suggestion not required. You will not do any damage at all to the engine buy running lower octane.

I hate bad information from the dealers!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah, its 91+ recommended, but 87 required. You can use either, but will get a little more horsepower and fuel economy using premium. As the price of gas rises, the differential between regular and premium tends to be 20 cents a gallon, and its fixed. So the more the prices rise, the "cheaper" (relatively) premium actually becomes.

I notice more pep on premium and the mileage difference for me on all city driving is 15mpg on regular 87, and around 16.5mpg on 93. Since premium is less than 10% more expensive than regular, its worth it to me (even not considering the power difference, which for conservative drivers might not be noticable).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lately I've been mixing half 93 octane with half 89 which totals 91. I haven't seen many stations around here that even offer 91.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to run 91 or higher - else my 2004 pings like crazy! Its got 17K miles on it and I bought it with 9K. I pull a 3400 pound boat and if I don't use 93 it sounds like its gonna come appart!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
BB Something isn't right if it pings on regular. The computer/knock sensor shpuld be retarding your timing to take care of that.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
pb1963 said:
My wifes '03 runs just fine on 87. We haven't noticed any significant improvement with 91.
Same here, i fill up only with 87 or 89 on the murano.
Some car is more sensitive to ocane, even it is said that the ECU can retard the timing when 87 is used. Some car, like murano, adapt well to the octane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First post, but I registered to post here because I have a question.

In the book, it says no less than 87 AKI (anti-knock index)....but as far as I've researched, it looks like AKI and octane are not the same. Isn't an AKI of 87 equal to octane of 92?

Am I missing something?

-Erik

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Erik713 said:
First post, but I registered to post here because I have a question.

In the book, it says no less than 87 AKI (anti-knock index)....but as far as I've researched, it looks like AKI and octane are not the same. Isn't an AKI of 87 equal to octane of 92?

Am I missing something?

-Erik
AKI = Octane RATING

Octane number is not the same as rating. Octane number is divided into RON (research octane number) and MON (motor octane number). If you look on a gas pump, the octane rating is the numerical average of RON and MON. This rating is the same as AKI. Sometimes this is shown as (R+M)/2 or (RON+MON)/2.

The Murano requires 87 AKI, or regular unleaded. It gets better performance on 91+ AKI, i.e. premium, but its not required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excellent! Thank you, Eric. That makes complete sense. Thanks for your expertise!

-Erik

Eric L. said:

AKI = Octane RATING

Octane number is not the same as rating. Octane number is divided into RON (research octane number) and MON (motor octane number). If you look on a gas pump, the octane rating is the numerical average of RON and MON. This rating is the same as AKI.

The Murano requires 87 AKI, or regular unleaded. It gets better performance on 91+ AKI, i.e. premium, but its not required.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Oh to add to the octane discussion, not sure if this has already been posted, but regarding Octane boosters, one octane point is equal to .1 AKI. So, suppose an additive says it will "increase your octane by four points" - if you add this to 87 AKI gasoline, you'll get 87.4 AKI. In other words, these additives are never a cost effective alternative to purchasing premium unleaded.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've run 93 in every tank since day 1 over two years ago and she has run beautifully. I will most likely have the Mo for a long time so anything that is reccomended is being done. Especially changing out the CVT fluid even with the $300+ cost. Even rebuilt CVT's are over 3k and I'm not looking to spend that, ever.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If one is to discuss gas, one must discuss the quality of gas. Some gas at 87 Octane (Top Tier) maybe better for your car than 91 Octane (cheap gas). If you are to use 87 Octane, go for the top tier gas.

See link below for top tier retail providers.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts