Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay its going to sound crazy.
But, when I use my washer fluid after having not used it for a while. I get a Funky odor inside the cabin?? It leaves after a few minutes and if i use it aging right after, the smell is not there?????
I can run Heat and Air all day and not get the smell. Only when I use the washer/wiper fluid?

The smell is like a marigold flower. The kind you plant to keep rabbits away. :)
What the HELL could this be????????

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I could be the smell of the fluid itself since it drips down the wind screen right past the air intake. This will sound funny but did you smell the fluid and see if it smells the same?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that.
It smells like fluid, too bad its not a nice smell.......

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
In the summer months I use Windex in my washer reservoir and whenever I wash the windshield, I get the lovely smell of Ammonia-D inside the cabin.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Rain-X makes a nice additive which clears pretty
well and leaves a coating of their product. Has a very
pleasant smell also.

You can make your own with a couple (ONLY!) drops of
dish detergent...your choice of flavors, about a tblspoon of
ammonia and the rest water. Does a pretty good job
and is much cheaper than $1.20 - $1.99 per gallon of
the blue stuff. If you're concerned about spotting then
fill the water jug from a filtered tap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.
Thoughts.
In regard to the dish soap. Would that not blow over/off onto the paint thus taking off your Zaino/wax etc???? Then again, I think too much........

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I thought you weren't supposed to use standard window cleaning chemicals for auto glass? Something about the coating they use for auto glass that normal cleaners can deteriorate, causing "foggy" windows or something. Don't remember the details, just remember that you're only supposed to use certain cleaners.

Also, if you're going to mix up your own, don't forget about cold weather. You don't want it freezing! Either use "real" stuff that is rated for the cold weather in your area, or make sure you add something in to help prevent it from freezing. Trust me, it is NOT fun to have a tank of frozen washer fluid.

~ Corin

·
Registered
717 Posts
Eric L. said:
In the summer months I use Windex in my washer reservoir and whenever I wash the windshield, I get the lovely smell of Ammonia-D inside the cabin.
Eric, I had heard a similar thing about windex ruining the wax on painted surfaces, so I switched to Stoner's Invisible Glass and now have an unneeded gallon of windex sitting in my basement.

I'll never use windex again on any glass surface after seeing the difference in cleaning ability.

Of course I buy whatever brand is .99 per gallon for the windshield cleaner however so I guess I'm a bit inconsistent.:eek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
you're only putting 2-3 drops, literally, per gallon of water so there is actually less soaping in the do it yourself fluid. I keep forgetting about the freezing aspect here in S. FL. I haven't added anything to what came with the MO in October. Haven't needed it. Was a very dry winter er in Ft. Lauderdale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts