Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have the OEM Murano cover and have experiences with it sitting in the rain?

I had ours covered and it rained for the first time on it. The description for the cover says it "repels" water. Well, after being soaked all night by rain, the cover was drenched in the morning. It sure didn't repel!!

It was so soaked that you can see the car under the cover in certain places (mosthly the hood/front end). The sun is now shining and it seems to be drying out quite well. I took a peak underneath and the paint seems to be ok. I did wax it before I covered it, so hopefully that helps. The cover claims to be breathable.

So question: is this ok for the Mo's paint? I have never used a cover before and typically don't like them. The only reason I'm using it (for both of our cars) is that we don't have a garage at the moment. Our new house won't be complete for another 2 months, so this is the best I can do to protect the cars outside. This is also the first time any of my cars have spent nights outside :(

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Personally

My experience with car cover is limited to the Mercedes factory cover on a Mercedes.

Based on that, I would much rather have my vehicle rained on without a cover than with. Any dirt in the cover gets washed thru those wonderful breathable pores that also let the water in and thru the fabric and puts the resulting mud on the finish and then the good old sun gets to bake it into the paint.

Well, You asked for opinions and like arm pits I have two.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Personally

GripperDon said:
My experience with car cover is limited to the Mercedes factory cover on a Mercedes.

Based on that, I would much rather have my vehicle rained on without a cover than with. Any dirt in the cover gets washed thru those wonderful breathable pores that also let the water in and thru the fabric and puts the resulting mud on the finish and then the good old sun gets to bake it into the paint.

Well, You asked for opinions and like arm pits I have two.
Thanks Grip...opinions are welcome. My take on cars that are wet, then subsequently baked by the sun can leave hard water spots. I had these on my Audi and it was a PITA to get out. I swear I can still see them.

I 'thought' maybe with the cover, the dirt would actually be filtered out (blocked) by the breathable pores but still let the water thru. I then 'think' that any water between the hood and the cover would eventually evaporate thru the pores versus getting immediately baked by the sun.

The one page instruction sheet even notes that any moisture caught in this matter should not be a problem. Thing is, its a bit more than just moisture.

That's just my thoughts...I'll let it fully dry out today and assess the situation. I also checked online for other covers that cost way more (ie. $300+). Those claim to protect from downpours and (get this) dings. Who would have thunk??

·
4,994 Posts
Re: Re: Personally

Usually rain water is "Soft" as the Calcium and other minerals dissolved in the water are left behind in the "Distillation"" process of water vaporizing to become moisture in the air. Other contaminates could be washed from the air as it falls however after a the first bit of rain the rest of the rain rinses-it off. I think the women of the world know best, collecting rain water for hair washing because it's soft. (Mineral free that leaves their hair soft and shiny)

As I said it's the dirt, in the cover, that dust becomes mud, as it is washed from the cover by the rain on the way to the car. even if the car is dust FREE to begin with. It is a nice fine dust mud also almost like the stuff they put in red rubbing compound.

You are right the water evaporates back thru the cover and unfortunately leaves the mud behind on the car finish to bake and requiring the car to be washed and then maybe rinsed with some non hard water and then dried. Kind of like water evaporates from a mud puddle leaving the mud behind.

Personally a long ago I installed a reverse osmosis unit in my garage to make rinse water for the cars and the Ice maker. That way I don't have to dry the cars after rinsing.

The best cover if you want on id made from Tyvek a DuPont material, Light weight, Machine Washable, UV resistant, has a level of impervious ness to water and only very slowly breathes. It's white color will help keep the temperature down. I tested 3 different covers with recording digital thermometers inside to see which did the best job. Light, Spun (not woven) and White wins hands down.

As usual just MyOpinion

AVIATB4MO said:

Thanks Grip...opinions are welcome. My take on cars that are wet, then subsequently baked by the sun can leave hard water spots. I had these on my Audi and it was a PITA to get out. I swear I can still see them.

I 'thought' maybe with the cover, the dirt would actually be filtered out (blocked) by the breathable pores but still let the water thru. I then 'think' that any water between the hood and the cover would eventually evaporate thru the pores versus getting immediately baked by the sun.

The one page instruction sheet even notes that any moisture caught in this matter should not be a problem. Thing is, its a bit more than just moisture.

That's just my thoughts...I'll let it fully dry out today and assess the situation. I also checked online for other covers that cost way more (ie. $300+). Those claim to protect from downpours and (get this) dings. Who would have thunk??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Seems to me that taking the cover on and off every day for two to three months would cause more damage then not covering them at all.

Unless you wash your car everyday before you put it on you are dragging the cover across dirt and scratching the paint. Whenever the wind blows its grinding the paint like sand paper. Then when you take it off your scratching it even more.

If your parking under trees the cover may be the lesser of the two evils.

Would you not be better off not having a cover and spending your money on a good clay job once your new house is done?

·
4,994 Posts
Good Thoughts Eddy

G

FastEddy said:
Seems to me that taking the cover on and off every day for two to three months would cause more damage then not covering them at all.

Unless you wash your car everyday before you put it on you are dragging the cover across dirt and scratching the paint. Whenever the wind blows its grinding the paint like sand paper. Then when you take it off your scratching it even more.

Would you not be better off not having a cover and spending your money on a good clay job once your new house is done?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FastEddy said:

FastEddy,

Trust me, I have been going back and forth on which of the lesser evils to go with. As it is, we're only driving the Mo' on the weekends. So its covered all week, then sleeping naked over the weekend. Then on Sunday afternoon, its fully washed and detailed before getting tucked in for the week.

I would never cover a car w/o washing it. Having dust/dirt would be like having an abrasive on the paint. With the wind blowing on the cover, I'm sure that will develop lovely (fine)scratches.

Also, there seems to be alot of birds around here. Lots of crap if you know what I mean.

Fortunately, here in SoCal, it doesn't rain that often. But it did last night. I may get tired of the above routine and just deal with it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You know, if you paint a target on top of your cars the birds will miss it every time. This is a fact. :D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Unfortunately, my Mo spends the night outside every night. A good wax will keep her protected better than a cover....if it is washed on the weekends. Use a wax in the wash soap, it makes the wax go that much farther.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mgthe3 said:
Unfortunately, my Mo spends the night outside every night. A good wax will keep her protected better than a cover....if it is washed on the weekends. Use a wax in the wash soap, it makes the wax go that much farther.
Yeah...the Mo' is fully waxed. I think I'm just spoiled to have had a garage all this time. Its like having a faithful dog that stays inside, then all of a sudden force him to sleep outside!!

My 98 A4's OEM paint is still in great shape. It's not a garage queen (has 110k miles), but was parked in the garage when not driven since it was new. That plus weekly washes and monthly waxes kept the paint mint. I just want the same for the Mo!!

I'm feeling the pain!!!

·
4,994 Posts
AVIATB4MO

I went back and added to my second post on the subject and hope that it is a better post, more info presented and in a better manner.

It's nice to see someone who really uses their MO a lot and still cares for it so much. G

AVIATB4MO said:

Yeah...the Mo' is fully waxed. I think I'm just spoiled to have had a garage all this time. Its like having a faithful dog that stays inside, then all of a sudden force him to sleep outside!!

My 98 A4's OEM paint is still in great shape. It's not a garage queen (has 110k miles), but was parked in the garage when not driven since it was new. That plus weekly washes and monthly waxes kept the paint mint. I just want the same for the Mo!!

I'm feeling the pain!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: interesting

GripperDon said:
I went back and added to my second post on the subject and hope that it is a better post, more info presented and in a better manner.

It's nice to see someone who really uses their MO a lot and still cares for it so much. G

Grip - I thought I was anal about my cars. A reverse osmosis water system just for washing cars? I assume the ice was just a bonus! BTW, did that osmosis system really work?

Anyway, you were right. After the cover dried out, there was fine dust all over the place on the paint. At first I freaked out as I thought it was jacked. But after closer inspection the dust just wipes off. After a quick wash, it was back to new.

My wife was just shaking her head. Who the hell washes a car right when a cover is removed and with more rain looming? Oh well.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Re: Re: interesting

AVIATB4MO said:

My wife was just shaking her head. Who the hell washes a car right when a cover is removed and with more rain looming? Oh well.
I do.
And I do it for both of my cars, before and after rain! :4:
Of course, it is a 'mini' wash, where i just hose off the cars using running water and dry them.

So tell your wife, her husband is not alone ;)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I typcially hand wash after every rain event and I avoid parking in the sun like the plague.

I wax about 3-4 times a year and clay it once per year. I park my MO in a garage but its an old garage... a little small for the MO.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Many seem to wax only once every few months, but wash many times more. Do you guys use soap every time you wash? Doesn't that strip the wax off? Or do you just use water and then dry?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zebelkhan said:
Many seem to wax only once every few months, but wash many times more. Do you guys use soap every time you wash? Doesn't that strip the wax off? Or do you just use water and then dry?
I use Meguire's Gold Class 'shampoo' for each wash. Once dried, I use their Quick Detailer to make it shine and gets rid of any water spots. The QD seems to prolong the life of the wax. I don't have to wax every month anymore. I typically just wax once a quarter or when I feel like the car needs to be extra clean for a night out. I love washing the car and seeing the water bead. :D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I use blue coral wash-N-wax. The water sheets off when I am rinsing it....not hardley any to dry off. I think it does make the wax I use last longer because I can tell when my wax is getting thin by the size of the beads of water when it rains. Even if it is starting to get thin, with the wash n wax, it seems to bead a little better--gets me over the times when I can't find a round 2 it.
:D

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Just to throw out another option, you could set up a tarp to essentially set up a makeshift garage. That is, if you have a driveway. If you're parking on the street that might be a little hard.

Along the same lines, you could get a "quick-setup" canopy to put over your car. That would do the trick, and you wouldn't have anything actually touching the paint but still have it protected. Essentially a portable garage! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Corin said:
Just to throw out another option, you could set up a tarp to essentially set up a makeshift garage. That is, if you have a driveway. If you're parking on the street that might be a little hard.

Along the same lines, you could get a "quick-setup" canopy to put over your car. That would do the trick, and you wouldn't have anything actually touching the paint but still have it protected. Essentially a portable garage! :)
Corin,

I weighed the canopy option too. We do have a driveway that can accomodate one but thought that may draw too much attention to the car :cool:

I'm not in NJ, but having a canopy may invite unwanted guests to help themselves to the HIDs. Though the same can be said (attention wise) to a car cover, at the very least the headlights are not exposed.

I go for jogs around the neighborhood...tons of cars parked outside. I have yet to see one with HIDs. Not like its a bad neighborhood, but just an old one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts