Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I didn't get OEM & I regret it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering ourchasing a Murano and I definitely want to have a NAV system in it. So I am curious to find out how everyone here likes the NAV system that comes as an option versus third party systems. What are some pros/cons? So far I have seen Lexus and Acura OEM systems and the Pioneer third party system...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I love the stock NAV system. It's "just right" in my opinion. The guide voice is extremely natural, it offers a 3D view or a top-down view. You can set the background to white or black. Brightness/contrast is nicely adjustable and has Day and Night modes. There are restaurant and other location lookups which are very handy.

The only thing I hate is that you cannot program it while the car is in motion. Even the passenger cannot program it. You, as the driver, also have to Agree to a Terms & Conditions thinger whenever you start up the vehicle. Otherwise, the NAV will not display until you "agree" to it. This is a 'feature' on all major factory NAV systems for Benz and such, so there's no escaping it :(

·
101 Posts
I love my Nav system. It is well-integrated with the rest of the entertainment and system monitoring electronics. Also, the full color LCD display that comes with Nav is much better looking (IMHO) than the one used in the non-Nav system. If you have not seen both, go to your dealer check it out. There is nothing wrong with the non-Nav display, mind you. The Nav LCD just looks way cool, especially with "bird-view" on where you can watch the map follow your position as you drive.

In the Chicago area where I live, the Nav displays color icons of landmarks ahead and surrounding me (zoos, museums, lakes, rivers, train tracks, and even major buildings like the Sears Tower). Using the joystick, I can spin and zoom the map around and see what else surrounds me. That is really helpful when looking for alternate routes or to get your bearings.

The personal address book is fully programmable and you can even tag an icon to each stored address which appears on the map when you set that address as a destination. When you are at a location you want to remember, there is a function that lets you store your current location directly in your personal address book (i.e., you do not have to enter the address).

There is also a function that allows you to see how many satellites the system is linked to at the moment. Very cool.

Since the on-board Nav runs off a DVD, it can (potentially) store a lot more data than most aftermarket units unless they use a similar storage media. I'm not sure how much data can be stored in the aftermarket systems, but the OEM Nav has a pretty extensive directory of ATM's, gas stations, stores, restaurants, etc. which really comes in handy.

I agree with Doombringer with the minor annoyances on the system: (1) you cannot program the Nav while driving (although you can pick one of the first two or three items in your personal address book, cancel route guidance, and a few other minor nav functions while in motion); (2) you have to go through a "Terms & Conditions" (T&C) agreement page everytime the system starts-up. The former is a safety-minded feature and the latter, Nissan's lawyers waving their legal finger at you.

The system is too complicated to be programmed while driving (I know, your passenger could do it, but to Nissan, there will always be the fool who will try to program the Nav while eating breakfast, shaving, and talking on his cell phone to his lawyer, all at 70 MPH on a dark highway in a blizzard).

The T&C intro page requires only a button press to get by it. If you don't do so, the Nav system simply does not come up, but the rest of the system still works (radio, trip monitors, etc.). To bring the Nav system up, you simply hit the 'MAP' button and agree to the T&C page then (which you can do while in motion).

One last thing. Keep in mind, as with any Nav system (OEM or aftermarket), you have to really sit yourself down and learn the system. This unit does not have voice entry so you have to take the time to learn how to program it as well as learn how to use all of its functions. Just to give you an idea of what's involved, the instruction manual for the Nav unit is as big as the Owners Manual (a half inch thick booklet)!

It is not hard at all to learn, however. No worse than programming the time on your VCR (LOL :2: )!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really like the NAV. I think Nissan and other OEM's got it right when they disabled NAV programming while in motion. Since getting the MO, I can't began to count the number of times I've looked up from the the NAV screen while driving and got the " How long have I been looking away from the road"scare. Can you imagine the increased distraction if actual NAV programming were allowed. I've had to retrain myself to be extra attentive to the road since buying the MO. There are so many "extras" on that display that can distract my attention from the road and cause my heart to jump when I finally look back again. That includes radio controls, trip computer(s), temperature (now that winter is here in earnest), tire pressure, "where am I info", etc. I really love the whole setup, but if you've not owned a vehicle with a "heads up display" before it will take some getting used to. Take it slow.:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is no question that original NAV is the best.

I know it, CAUSE I have seen it but dont have it. I really regret not having gotten it.:3:

And you can not add it later. It is so well integrated into the system, that no after market can match it.

In, poll we should add this choice. Did not get OEM and regret it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
This is my first NAV system and I've already decided I (personally) won't have another vehicle without a NAV system, it's just way too usefull almost everyday.

If you do any traveling outside your normal area (sales or service for example) this would (and has) save a lot of time and effort.

It is without a doubt, the "coolest" part of an already "cool" vehicle and never fails to become a source of conversation with my passengers.

·
4,601 Posts
I love the OEM NAV. Next vehicle will have it, and hopefully they won't be trying to rape us on the price next time around...

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I got my Murano, I only got the Nav system because it was the only Copper with Leather the dealer had, and I got a great deal. Now an integrated DVD based Nav system will be a must on any car I purchase in the future. Sometimes the route calculations are not the best, but they are as good as I have seen on Internet sites and such. If you think you want a Nav system, get the OEM one because the integration is worth the extra cash. Should it be cheaper, sure but what shouldn't be.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Like a lot of other folks who have responded, I didn't necessarily want a NAV system when I bought my Murano. I wasn't all that crazy about how the non-NAV display screen looked, so I figured getting the NAV system would get me a much better display screen along with a fancy toy that I probably wouldn't use. Now, I don't know how I could live without it! Over the Christmas holidays, I took a vacation and rented a Lincoln Town Car. No NAV system in the Town Car, and I really missed it! I suspect that all my future vehicles will have a NAV system.

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone used the Murano NAV and another NAV and can comment on the pros and the cons of each?

While I certainly understand the concern with programming the NAV while driving, i would still like for my passenger to be able to reprogram it. With the Pioneer third-party system, the NAV can only be reprogrammed when the emergency break is on. I found out that this can be circumvented if the wire going to the break is connected to a ground instead. I wonder if the same can be done with the OEM, who would do it, and how much it would cost...

·
Registered
255 Posts
While I haven't used other Navs, I have seen others (Acura) and been on boards where others have discussed the Navs of other cars (Touareg). A nice feature that the Murano has that I haven't seen on any other (doesn't mean its not out there), is the Birds Eye View setting that allows you to look out towards the horizon on the map, instead of just from overhead. Everyone that has a nav that has seen mine say they love the way this feature works.

The Touareg is CD based and judging from the discussions that I participated in over at VWVortex (I used to own a Golf), the Touaregs package is really lacking in the roads covered area. The Murano has a very good coverage database, and only the newest of roads seem to be missing.

The Accura has a touch screen, which the Murano could really use. Accura's system is probably the best because of this. If the Murano's was touch screen, it would probably be the best since it has the bird's eye view and the excellent coverage.

If VW would bring over a Touareg with DVD Nav, and a 3L V6 TDI engine, for the price of a Murano, I would probably give the MO to the Wife and get a Touageg. 30+ MPG sounds great from an SUV.

·
101 Posts
I saw a Honda commercial where this guy was driving around in his Accord and asked the Navigation system to locate so-and-so. Can it really respond to voice commands like that or is that just marketing hype?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have used the Honda NAV system...It is awesome...You can control all NAV, Audio and Climate systems with voice commands...I sure with my MO had that...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've used the Pioneer NAV, it has a sort of bird's eye view. I didn't think it was all that useful, because it didn't really show that much further ahead. You had to pay more attention to the upcoming view than to the road itself. Is the Murano NAV bird's eye view better?

Having voice control would be nice, so until Nissan releases that, or Honda / Acura releases something similar to the Murano ;-)

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Murano NAV allows you to manually control the view on the screen. Imagine being able to zoom ahead, or to the right, left, or behind you and see what's coming up, what's to the right or left or where you've been!

It's pretty cool and I drove about 10,000 miles in mine before I discovered this little zooming feature!

Everyday (well almost) I find something new that I didn't know about.:2:

·
101 Posts
I love the zoom feature. Plus, you can 'look around' your present location on the map (even in motion). This is great when I hit a traffic jam and need to find an alternate. I just scan around until I find a nearby street to bypass the jam. Pretty cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts