Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
This definitely needs to be a sticky Njjoe! Oh-oh-oh-oh oh oh oh oh oh oh here comes the Hammer! Hammer time! Congrats!! That was defnitely well executed eventhough after seeing all the wires laying around I got dizzy...I'm also trying to gather the parts and hopefully I'll be able to make the swap before summer. Thanks again for sharing with us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to admit, I have been reading all your threads/posts and you are one knowledgable individual when it comes to these Mo's. I wish you were in my area so that I could hire you or something... lol!

Anyway, I too have an 04 and I am totally hating on your upgrade. I want to do the same, but I also want the back up camera. Do you think I can upgrade my current orange screen to color with navi and back-up camera??? Or is this the only way???

Thx

PS... Nice job! :)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the replies. Hate all you want...it will only make you more determined! :D

I'm not sure about the backup camera option. I would have to get a service manual from an 05-07 to see how it's wired up. 2 lines (I believe green/white) I just terminated because my MO doesn't have backup camera and there was no easy way to find the signal in the existing wiring harness. The system seems to work just fine without them wired up anyway. They were labeled Reverse Signal on the wire list. Maybe they have something to do with the backup camera system.

Definitely worth researching though. Anybody willing to forward me their AV.pdf files for the 05-07 MO. Maybe I can figure this one out. I don't think the 03-04 MO came with an option for OEM reverse camera.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hey warhammer, let me look through some of the av files, i'll see if i can find the ones you need and see about posting them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Congratulations on the successful conclusion to this challenging undertaking Warhammer, and nice job on documenting the experience! :claphead:

I'm glad you found my wiring spreadsheets useful, and was happy to answer your questions.

I think we'll have to try that instrument panel swap next...that looks pretty cool!

Cheers! :7:

Phoenix54

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Again...props to the mighty PHOENIX54!!! :29: Your help was greatly appreciated. This system continues to impress me!

It's been fun to use it! I went skiing this weekend in Santa Fe and "DEAR" told me how to get there. Turn for turn she instructed me flawlessly! I think my wife is getting jealous!!! :D

I found the newest 6.7 software release on eBay for $116! Sure does beat paying the $190 full price!

I think I'll just dive into the center console again. After getting the new disk in, I'll put it back together and forget about it. I can't justify the expense of the new side panel for this. Besides, how often does the software need to be updated anyway?

·
Added OEM Navigation
58 Posts
Hey Warhammer,

Congrats again!!Glad I could help in any way that I could. I just want to say that with out P54's original post on doing this I don't believe any of us would have had the balls to try this first, so hats off to p54 for paving the way.

As for backup camera, my 07' has the lead for that (violet/white wire) but their is another oem unit that mounts in the rear side cargo holder that you would have to wire up. IT can be done I am sure. Just have not had time to do it yet....who knows when.

Cheers:)

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Don't worry 07Murano...your name is in bold as well in the first posting. I didn't forget about you! :29:

Yea...I haven't had a chance yet to dive into the Service Manual to see exactly how the backup camera is wired up. But at least we have one essential thing now, an LCD screen! :D

One of these days I'll get to it. I'm not even sure what section of the Service Manual it is in. I assumed AV considering the camera will ultimately display on the LCD screen. I think the backup camera would become very useful if I decided to hook something up to the tow hitch receiver (future project). We'll see.

·
Added OEM Navigation
58 Posts
I was not concerned with my self, but just giving praise to P54's info for being the first to achieve this task, that all. But thanks anyway!

As for the backup camera, that could be out next task maybe:2:

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Don't see why not. That along with the newer gauge cluster as suggested by phoenix54.

Always something to do to keep inquiring minds entertained. That's what we got personal savings for right?!?!? :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Warhammer said:
Always something to do to keep inquiring minds entertained. That's what we got personal savings for right?!?!? :D
I can't agree more on that one... BTW, excellent work on the OEM navigation!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So I added the latest 6.8 version software and firmware I got from eBay. My neighborhood actually exists! :D

The firmware update adds faster screen updates and better visuals while getting instructions. It also remembers what screen you had up last for Trip1, Trip2, MPG, and Maintenance. I usually want to look at my MPG screen so it is now just 1 hit of the TRIP button instead of 3. Pretty cool!

Since I don't have the DVD access panel, I had to dive into the center console. In and out in less than an hour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WOW!

I am so blown away by this post! I just emailed you about instructions and will be using this heavily when I do mine soon - though I have an '05 so I will need to be sure the wiring is the same. I will also tackle the reverse camera option at the same time, or afterwards, as this would complete my Murano (there would be no option I do not have!)

Fantastic work, seriously Warhammer...way to go!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I took the time today to add my notes to the wire list Phoenix made. It now has connector references in it, different color coding etc. Plus it's in PDF format and easily printable.

There were 2 individuals; xdarrylx being one of them, that asked me for the wire list. The only thing is, I can't remember who the second person was. Like an idiot, I accidentally deleted the request from my PM inbox.

So...if you are in need of the wire list for this upgrade, please let me know. I'll be sure to email it so you.

Happy modding! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Warhammer

My name is Tony and I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my Murano.

I had a huge question for you. How can I find out if the DVD/Navigation system of a 2009 Infinity G35 fits this Murano?

Did you go to a website to find out if the one you used was compatible or did you take the unit apart and compared it with newer models?

I am getting a good deal from a salvage yard but I want to make sure it fits before I dump out $700 dollars. Please let me know if there's an efficient way of finding this out.

I came to you because it seems like you knew what you were doing when you did your swap.

Thanks for your time!
Tony

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Tony...welcome to the site! It's your first post and you picked my thread! I'm honored... :D

I found myself having a hard time answering this one because of the differences in the capabilities between the first gen and second gen nav systems.

Considering the updates and differences in technologies that go into the newer 09 Infiniti/Nissan models (i.e. touch screen, different center console layout, faster updating, etc.) versus the 03-05/06-07 MO's it might be a stretch to get the system to work in your MO. I'd be willing to bet that the technologies are so different that the hardware would have a difficult time talking to your MO's current configuration.

There is literally no website you can go to that will tell you if they're compatable. It's all found through research, studying the Service Manuals, and understanding what parts are needed to make the entire system work.

Exactly what parts is salvage yard guy trying selling to you? I'm assuming he gave you part numbers for all the included items?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Warhammer said:
Exactly what parts is salvage yard guy trying selling to you? I'm assuming he gave you part numbers for all the included items?

Well,

I did not get any part numbers. I just saw the whole set up and seemed like a bargain so I was concidering buying the thing. I think to be on the safe side I'll search for the best buy on the parts you utilized for your conversion.

I do have another question. If you pull out the navigation dvd can you still play a regular dvd?

I wanted to add a factory dvd system to my MO' but to be honest I don't know if the dvd feature uses the same screen as the navigation system or if it had an independent screen for it.

I was told that some Muranos have a screen that pops up from the very back of the cente console. How truth is this?

Thanks for your advise though. I almost bit the bullet and bought the system.

Is it true that any navigation system from a 2003-2007 can fit my 2004?

Thanks for all your help and patience to answer my questions!

I salute your ability to pull off such a complex and time consuming task with such awesome results!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all your help!

Warhammer said:

Well,

I did not get any part numbers. I just saw the whole set up and seemed like a bargain so I was concidering buying the thing. I think to be on the safe side I'll search for the best buy on the parts you utilized for your conversion.

I do have another question. If you pull out the navigation dvd can you still play a regular dvd?

I wanted to add a factory dvd system to my MO' but to be honest I don't know if the dvd feature uses the same screen as the navigation system or if it had an independent screen for it.

I was told that some Muranos have a screen that pops up from the very back of the cente console. How truth is this?

Thanks for your advise though. I almost bit the bullet and bought the system.

Is it true that any navigation system from a 2003-2007 can fit my 2004?

Thanks for all your help and patience to answer my questions!

I salute your ability to pull off such a complex and time consuming task with such awesome results!!

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
tony murano said:
Not true.

All factory-installed NAV systems in North America (and elsewhere?) utilize the screen that is hard-mounted into the center console. Nothing pop ups.

-njjoe

21 - 40 of 117 Posts