Nissan Murano Forum banner

OEM Navigation Added to 2004 SL

81K views 119 replies 38 participants last post by  alexjohn 
#1 ·
Well...after threatening to do it, part gathering, and double checking...it's finally done! This last weekend I dove into the center console and installed OEM navigation into my 2004 Nissan Murano SL!!! :D

Tons of fun, very happy, and extremely satisified. I'll never look at my MO the same ever again. Big thanks to phoenix54 and 07murano!!! They answered my numerous questions.

So, to start my parts list was exactly the same as phoenix54's. The 2003-2004 MO's have the same parts. Parts will be different for the 2005-2007's I believe. Double check this if you're planning on doing this yourself.

Navigation Control Unit (NCU):
Part # -- 25915-CA103
Model # -- NCU-6110G(US)

Display Control Unit (DCU):
Part # -- 28330-CB600
Model # -- DCU-6104G(US)

LCD Display:
Part # -- 28090-CA100
Model # -- TR-LM7WB1N

GPS Antenna:
Part # -- 25975-CA100
Model # -- AGP-3090V

Audio/Video/AC Control Unit:
Forgot to write it down :(

Dash Wiring Harness With Navigation:
Just find one that matches your configuration. I asked if it came from a MO with NAV and BOSE. Worked fine.

I found all of the electronic hardware from Bessler Auto Parts for $750 and the harness for $200. Quite a deal if you ask me!

All parts came intact and ready to install. The only part issue I had was with the LCD screen. The individual that removed it from the wrecked MO scratched the hell out of the clear protector. I'll get into the details as to how I fixed this later.

The key to extracting the sub-harness from the main harness is quite simple. Here are the steps I took:

1) Remove all protective layering across the entire harness. This will take about 4 hours.
2) Find M62, M63, M42, M43, M38, M48, M44, M45, and M46 and label them.
3) Pull as much wire from each connector as possible and cut the lines that are not connected between the connectors in step 2. You'll have a couple dozen lines hanging when you're through.

Then it's just disassemble, mount the hardware, plug in the sub harness connectors, and then solder the extra lines to the correct points on the integrated screen harness.

So here's where we start...the lovely orange screen:

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
Thanks for your answer, I've been chatting with Phoenix regarding the same thing, and he said that the prob might be the CAN-L and CAN-H wires as i found only the blue wire 'CAN-H' in my integrated connector.

I dont know what to do with my NON FUNCTOINAL AC REMOTE SYS!!!

I've attached some pics of my 5th or 6th TRY :-(

Attachments

#57 ·
Does your ac/heat system even blow air at different temps? If so, then it's a matter of getting the information to show up on the screen.

There is a small brown plug at the bottom of the Audio/AC unit that I didn't know what to do with. I plugged it in at the most logical place and everything worked first shot. Did you plug that guy in? Is there ANYTHING that is unplugged at this point that you can tell? There should be no open connectors at this point.

#58 ·
About to pull the trigger on this. I will post these questions on all three of the threads.
1. Phoenix's spreadsheet - is it a wire list that details all of the connections that have to be made>
Need a copy.

2. Has anyone copied the nav manual?
need a copy

3. Has anyoun attempted to burn a copy of the nav DVD. Not sure whether one will come on my system or not

4. Has anyone made a template of the cutout for the nav control unit dvd opening?

Thanks for your indulgence.

#59 ·
Here are the answers to your questions:

1) I have my updated copy that includes all connector heads and diferent labeling than what Phoenix did. I would be happy to forward it to you. Forward me your email and I'll send it out.

2) You can find a download of the nav manual from http://www.courtesyparts.com/owners-manuals.php.

3) Nope. I found a discounted version of the latest DVD on eBay. I was tempted to copy it but didn't want to mess with it.

4) I thought about it with the last picture I posted on the thread. All you would have to do it cut out the rectangle on the back side of the right panel cover. The only problem is finding a little door that you can then open or take off to reveal the face of the Navigation Control Unit. I looked at a few custom audio shops and nobody had anything that would work. So...I left it alone. When I got the new map DVD, I was in and out of the center console in under 30 minutes. I figured why go through the effort of changing the right panel cover if I'm not going to be updating the map DVD that often.

I hope this helps!

#62 ·
I actually have a Magellan 5310 in there now. The in dash will be a couple of steps back in convenience and usability, but it will be prettier and eliminate the interference between the Magellan and the Valentine..

Thanks for all your help and advice.

#63 ·
Nav Installation

Hi Warhammer,

I am new to this forum and quite impressed with your support and guidance. Murano is my first SUV after graduation and I love it and i suggest couple of my friends and they bought it too...........

I bought 2006 S AWD, without Nav, and i travel a lot, my next trip is to mexico from alexandria, va.

My question to you is i think i have color screen, i donot have orange screen like my other friend has in his murano. So how to make sure if i buy

1. Display Control Unit
2. Nav Control Unit
3. Gps Antenna

You think my screen i can use for Nav..............

I love to upgrade my murano as much as i can, please help me....

thanks

Srivick

#64 ·
If you have the color screen, it will support navigation. You already have 2 pieces of the puzzle because with the color screen also comes the display control generator.

What you will need is the following:

Audio/AC/Navigation Console Unit -- This entire assembly houses the CD player, audio controls, ac controls, etc. The buttons across the top are different than a MO without nav.

Navigation Control Unit -- Where the map DVD goes

Navigation Antenna -- Sits behind the color display and routes to the Navigation Control Unit.

Wiring Harness -- You can extract the navigation subharness to make it work.

Good luck! I found this update very rewarding!

#66 ·
#67 ·
Correction to previous posts:

Another member did the navigation upgrade to his 06-07 MO a few months ago and we had a revelation about the on board DCU. For whatever reason, Nissan decided that the DCU for a non-navigation setup would be different than a DCU for the navigation setup. So...if you have a 06-07 MO with a color screen and are looking to do the navigation upgrade, you will need to get the DCU for your MO that will support navigation. You can try to use the existing DCU but it will not work.

Good luck with your modding efforts!

#68 ·
Hi Warhammer

Hi Warhammer,

Sorry i went to mexico and came back after 3 months so, i could not get back to you, but now i have couple of questions, from your message.

"Wiring Harness -- You can extract the navigation subharness to make it work."

does it mean that wiring is already there, but need to pull out or find, orelse i need buy new harness for navigation and reverse cam

Thnak you,

Srivick

#69 ·
You will need the dash harness from a MO that had navigation for the 03-05 year range. From that harness, you'll need to find all of the connectors and wires afiliated with the navigation system. Then, you just wire it into the existing harness in your MO right now.

I'm not sure what it will take to wire in the reverse camera. This is an upgrade that I want to do in the future.

#71 ·
Hi Warhammer and ekaxel

Thank you for your replies, My friend has 06 Murano with non nav but he has same screen which has backup camera, so i checked for the any prewired connections for backup camera and there are pre wired connections, one for control unit and one for backup camera and there is a slot to up camera too.

Warhammer,

Yesterday, I was successful in opening all the interior to look at the connections and if my 06- Murano is pre-wired for Navigation connections, I have found two left over connections, it looks like for Navigation DVD but it might be even for heated seat switchs which i dont have, so i am attaching picture of that sockets, please let me know if you have any idea of what they are and what for.

I really appreciate your help, I do have a final questions is 04 Nav control unit is different from 06 Nav control unit.

Thank you all,

Srivick

Attachments

#72 ·
Doea anyone know what are the connections for in my earlier post of pic 3 and 4.............

thank you in advance,

Srivick

#76 ·
Hi Ekaxel

Hi,

Are you sure that the first picture cables are not for Navigation ?

#74 ·
Sorry for the delay in response. I was on a long road trip this weekend with no access to a computer.

The DCU is definitely different between a 04 and 06 MO.

Would you be more specific where you found those connectors. Some look like they came from behind the audio unit and others in the center console?

#75 ·
Hi Warhammer

Hi Warhammer,

04 Display might be different with 06 Display, But I have 06 color display which is capable of video, which i think it can be used for Nav, but you might be right.

Regarding cables, I found under the shift gear unit, it was hooked together with mirror switch, i dont know if they are for heated seat or Navigation.

But as you put navigation DVD unit, you might recognise if they are same as yours, that way we can make sure if they are prewired.

Thank you for your help and time,

Srivick

#77 ·
The screen for the 06 shouldn't be different than the 04. I think they used the same screen for all the years. There was a part number change over the years but other than that, nothing new.

The only change that I could see between the years as far as connectors was for the back of the audio/ac unit. I'm not 100% sure about the connectors for the NCU. I'll look at the 06 Service Manual av.pdf section to check for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.