Nissan Murano Forum banner

Does your Sat radio lock up?

• OEM XM - never locks up

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • OEM XM - happens rarely (3 or less a year)

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • OEM XM - happens a lot (Post details, please)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • OEM Sirius - never locks up

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • OEM Sirius - happens rarely (3 or less a year)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • OEM Sirius - happens a lot (Post details, please)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aftermarket XM - never locks up

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Aftermarket Sirius - never locks up

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aftermarket XM - locks up (Post details, please)

• Aftermarket Sirius - locks up (Post details, please)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see what the stats are for people with the OEM SAT radio. I've also put in non-OEM as I'm curious, but I'm more interested in how severe the problem may be with the factory units.

P.S. A lock up is when it no longer responds for a number of minutes. Doing receiver updates and stopping you from controlling the receiver during this time is not a lock up. This may manifest itself with a displayed message, and can still be feeding audio, but eventually gives you control back.

Also, poor coverage due to obstructed line of sight, or a confused receiver unable to find the satellites when powered up in the same conditions, is not a lock up either. Both of these should clear themselves when adequate signal is acheived by movement of the vehicle to a better location.

If you ever see "ANTENNA", this is a problem with your antenna connections.

If you ever see "NO SAT" this is a communication problem with the receiver and could be a damaged harness or connector that is not properly seated.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OEM XM SAT, locked up 4 times in 22 months. Purchased from Infiniti dealer for FX.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My vote was for a lot. I have the unit with the "fix" that resets the Tuner automatically when it "locks up". I would say that it locks up about 3 to 4 times a week, with an average listening time of 2 hours per day, 5 days per week. Really annoying because it always seems to happen right in the middle of something I want to hear and I lose 10 to 15 seconds.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I voted for OEM, XM a lot. Mine goes in spurts, I've gone for as much as 6 months without a lock up, and then I'll get one a week for a month, then another couple of months with nothing.

I've given up on figuring out what's happening, or why.

I just re-start the car and everythings fine, ALWAYS.

For those worrying about how to resolve the isse, this re-start always works for me.

I've NEVER had it happen consecutively, on succesive trips or starts.

I've just decided it's crappy design, but boy does it sound good!

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lnichols said:
My vote was for a lot. I have the unit with the "fix" that resets the Tuner automatically when it "locks up". I would say that it locks up about 3 to 4 times a week, with an average listening time of 2 hours per day, 5 days per week. Really annoying because it always seems to happen right in the middle of something I want to hear and I lose 10 to 15 seconds.
That's excessive. I'd ask for a replacement.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been a long time since my last lockup, but had it happen last friday. "LOADING" for an eternity. I left it that way as I drove for about 6 minutes. Got to a stop light, and turning the radio on and off didn't clear it. (It has often, in the past) so I had to turn off the ignition and restart. Came to life, hasn't done it since.

Now, I was messing with the buttons when I started the car and it was in the process of booting, so I can't help but wonder if I confused it's initialisation. Theres a number of things that go back and forth on the data bus as the Sat initialises, even if the radio's not turned on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to clarify my OEM XM- Never Locks vote with the fact that this is my second receiver. The first one locked up constantly. I contacted Grubbs where I purchased it from and they sent me a remanned (with the green sticker) unit and it has worked perfectly ever since.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you like, I can up the Locks count for the first one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts