Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
crash my murano yesterday trying to go around a garbage truck and hit a mail box
BIG SCRATCH-----------------got dented,now here in ebay there is a seller with aftermarket fenders and also OEM fenders
$299 aftermarket painted to match and $449 OEM painted to match.
I ask him whats the difference,he says aftermarket one is slightly thin sheet metal,he got lots of happy customers with aftermarket fenders,what shoulg i go for?
I was thinking a slightly sheet metal wont be noticeable tucked in at the door edge? since sides of muranos are pretty flat and even,also any one has a diagram how to remove and install a MO passenger side fender?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
enamurao-

It all depends on you and your MO. Do you really care for it? Do you wash and wax it on a regular basis? Do you still treat it like new? If so, then do not even consider getting a pre-painted sheet metal body panel from eBay!

Is you car a beater? Was the last time it was washed and waxed over a year ago? Do you not care how it looks anymore? Then go with the eBay part.

The guy says he has lot's of happy customers? Of course, what do you expect him to say? He's trying to sell you something.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
njjoe is giving good advice. In my old days I used a lot of aftermarket body parts for repairs. The most common problem with nearly all of them was that they required tweaking to make them fit properly and even then it was hard to line them up correctly. Most also had small "warps" that required repair anyway. Also, I do not know of any "pre-painted" sheet metal that will match the rest of the paint perfectly. At the minimum, the original paint has suffered some UV paint deterioration that will become obvious once the new painted part is installed. For that reason most body shops will slightly "spray" the adjacent sheet metal to blend the colors together.

·
Registered
438 Posts
njjoe said:
enamurao-

It all depends on you and your MO. Do you really care for it? Do you wash and wax it on a regular basis? Do you still treat it like new? If so, then do not even consider getting a pre-painted sheet metal body panel from eBay!

Is you car a beater? Was the last time it was washed and waxed over a year ago? Do you not care how it looks anymore? Then go with the eBay part.

The guy says he has lot's of happy customers? Of course, what do you expect him to say? He's trying to sell you something.

-njjoe
Hehe, if it's the latter (i.e. beater) then I wouldn't even bother fixing it. With a nice big dent, people will give you more respect when you take your right of way at intersections :2: (Essentially the way it works in some parts of Europe).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
njjoe said:
enamurao-

-njjoe
this MO is so pampered you wont believe it,,the guy do not say he got lots of happy customers,his feedbacks does,he both sales OEM and the aftermarket one in ebay,ok if ebay is not a good solution,
what you think is a good solution?,take it to a shop and let them probably do the same thing to my MO probably set an aftermarket part on it and charge 3 times more?you know is not like nissan has body shop dept. where I can go and say I'm getting an OEM part and service by the manufacturer of the car even so if nissan would have a body shop they probable still screw costumers with an aftermarket part and customer walks out thinking he got an OEM part.
its all about making money outthere,
no one will care about what you want but to set you up free and happy thinking that you paid for what you ask for.
you know when I was younger I went to school for a/c and heating technician,never did anything about it, but I couldn't believe when the teacher told us that in this bussiness is all about making money the easy way,ex:they call fridge is not cooling, you go most of time is something simple but you tell the owner is the compressor, to charge him a whole pack of money even if you know is just a clean up dont you just waste a trip for a $40 clean up after all if they call you is because they don't know JACK about refrigeration.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"Is you car a beater? Was the last time it was washed and waxed over a year ago? Do you not care how it looks anymore?"

This is my "beater" It was washed a couple of weeks ago, waxed 2 years ago (I really don't remember). Speaking for those of us who don't claybar, Zaino etc., I like my car just fine, thank you very much!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
e-

Nice "beater".

Your car was not what I had in mind when I was asking enamurao if his car was a beater. I was think more along the lines of a car that looked as if it had spent part of it's youth as a taxi in NYC. :D

My point was that if you don't care what you car looks like then why care about the quality of the body panels.

BTW, when I fist glanced at the photo of your MO I was taken back by your wild pin-striping design. Then realized it was the reflection of the white fence in the background.

-njjoe

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks ebay

finally got the fender bought,painted and shipped for $369 thru ebay and I did the installation and just look awesome,save myself $571 from the $940 bodyshop quote.
installation was easy, took me about 1 hour to put it on.
check out pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
old fender busted with a mailbox,hope another one dont get on my way.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Quite obviously a lighter color, but the alignment looks perfect.
Good job.
The key is, are you satisfied?
If you are, then it was a success!

Homer

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah was a little lighter but its hard to pick it from far away,but like you said I'm satisfied specially in the big bucks I saved.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have yet to wax our murano and its been 1.5 yrs. It gets washed by the local car wash about once a month or so. It gets detailed everytime it goes into the shop for repairs, so twice :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I contact the bodyshop that did my job asking why is slighty lighter than rest of car in this is what they reply let me know if this makes sense, for me it does but check out for yourselfes,here it goes:

Hi, yes that is slighlty lighter. Once you wash it and wax it and
drive it around, the new clear on the fender will give it the same look as
the rest of the car. We compared the actual color of the fuel door to
the color of the fender and it was dead on, the older clear does give
the appearance of a slightly darker color, but give it a month or two
and you won't be able to tell the difference. For a faster fix, you
could have the door, bumper and hood adjacent to the fender buffed out a
little, which will give the clear a cleaning up and will give it the
lighter look your car had when it was brand new. If you look very very
closely at the clear around your car, you will see little pieces of very
very small dirt in the clear, this happens with every color, but is
only apparent with whites. That microscopic dirt in the clear will make
the color look just a little darker. But, like I said, we compared the
color and hue of the gascap to the fender, which takes a seasoned eye,
but it did match perfectly. I am positive that in 3 months, it won't
be as obvious as it is now, just wash and wax the car as normal.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would say that makes sense. Any small dirt caught in the clear will dim the color. I never had a white car, but was told by a autobody shop that white is the most difficult color to match and black is the easiest.

·
Registered
80 Posts
enamurao said:
yeah was a little lighter but its hard to pick it from far away,but like you said I'm satisfied specially in the big bucks I saved.
I just received the fender and will do the same you
have done, is there any suggestions regarding to the installation you can recall?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rayleiwu said:

I just received the fender and will do the same you
have done, is there any suggestions regarding to the installation you can recall?
is fairly easy, you just remove every bolt that around the fender, I saw you other post that you read headlamp need to be removed,I didn't went by the book but my instinct and no need to remove headlamps,open up the hood thats all I did to remove couple of screws there and remove few of those plastic screws from the plastic fender protector to be able to stick my hand to reach to the screws that's holding up the fender.
by the way which company did it for you?
unique...?

·
Registered
80 Posts
enamurao said:

but my instinct and no need to remove headlamps,
I felt the same... that's why I was asking for hits and tricks.

Yes, unique-customs.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just had my Mo fixed. The panel around the gas cap was dented badly from an accident. I brought it to a body shop and explained it has to look perfect when it's done. They said they will need to paint into my rear door so everything blends.... i was nervous, but they are the experts and my mo deserves the BEST.

I got her back, and I can't find the dent or where the new paint starts and ends. I've looked hard trying to find a problem, but they did an AWESOME job. It looks like the day I bought it. I'm soooooooooo happy she is back to normal. :2: :2:

O and the color match is great, but it's not white...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts