Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much offroading can a Murano handle? Does anyone have any stories about taking the Murano into some serious offroad terrain?

I would love to hear them, as I am trying to justify buying the Murano over a Toyota 4runner.

Hawk

·
Registered
161 Posts
serious offroading is probably not a good idea in the Murano, especially when compared to the 4 runner. I think the idea of offroading in the Murano might pertain to driving over a curb and parking on a parking lot island at Fry's electronics beacuse there are no other spaces open (obviously I am speaking from experience..lol). But as far as offroading I saw a car and driver tv episode on the Murano where they did some light offroading and I don't recall exactly what they said but they didn't give it very high marks in the dirt. They did love iton the streets though..if this helps ya

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The Murano is not an offroad vehicle. It does not have the ground clearance for it, nor does it have dedicated low range gearing. It is important to remember that the Murano is a crossover, not a full out sport utility vehicle. As such, think of it as an all weather Altima/Maxima wagon. Ok that sounds bad, but in reality thats what all crossovers are - the modern "station wagon" versions of popular sedans.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I tend to agree with Ed and Eric on this. The MO was not intended to play mountain goat or for Baja racing. Besides, I could not see throwing that much money into something that looks and rides that good just to take it to the woods and booger it up.

To me the attraction of the AWD is its ability to perform in nasty weather where you need to be sure-footed in snow/sleet conditions and possibly need to take to the shoulder to get around tangles of sheetmetal where some noobs in their urban assault vehicles tried to drive on ice as if it were dry pavement.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I also agree that the Murano is no off roader, well not in the same class as a 4 runner.

I made this exact comparison almost exactly a year ago and rented a 4-Runner LTD, V8 with all the options including NAV for a week.

Nice truck, but it is absolutely a truck first. The one I rented stickered out at about $42k and got between 14-16 mpg on my normal driving route, on premium gas.

Just too expensive to operate for the way I drive, mostly highway with a some city street driving tossed in but certainly no off roading.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Xterra/Pathfinder - Good for offroad.

Murano - Good for roads only.

I won't repeat what others have said here... they've said it better than I could ;) But I will say that the Murano is too classy to get all muddy and nicked up by off-roading. Mine has road salt all over it right now and it looks bad enough... I can't keep it clean! :( And I've stopped trying until the winter is over. Pfeh.

(will never understand why people spend $60k to take a Toureg off road)

·
5,268 Posts
I second the above:

Murano – perfect for sealed road.

Off road – go for something else. There is plenty of cars made for true off-road driving.

Murano is NOT one of them.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I have done some VERY MILD offroading in mine. I'm talking about dirt roads with occasional <8" holes, and a bit of grassy hill. The kind of stuff you don't need AWD for. I was very careful not to bump the undercarraige. And absolutely NO MUD!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Remember it is an URBAN SUV. And that's what most people actually need. My son has had a Jeep Wrangler for 4 years and he has had it off road a total of three times (two of those were really great fun at Cape Hatteras), but off road capability is not necessary for most of us. If off-road is important to you, you may need a different truck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well let's get the confusion cleared straight away. The Murano is a Nissan Altima based crossover (see: car-based SUV) meant to be driven on the street. The designers and engineers behind the Murano did not by any means design the Murano to do even mild off roading, but rather to be a sporty car-based SUV which gives the feel, power and economy of a car with the higher seating position, better leg room, cargo space and AWD of an SUV. If you are even tempted in the least bit or have lined up numerous off road activities for your next vehicle, opt out of buying the Murano and into a Pathfinder or something similar. Even a Grand Cherokee (despite the fact that it lacks on-road manners) would be a better suit for you than the Murano.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts