Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 SL appox. 800miles, wondering if anyone had a problem with the alignment? My steering wheel if offset to the right by about 3 inches when driving straight. Also, at times I notice some mild to moderate vibration in the frontend at various speeds. I plan to contact the dealer, just curious if anyone else noticed this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i think you should get a wheel alignment done, sounds quite severe for it to be 3" off. i'll bet you are uneven tyre wear too. look at your tyre's and check it is wearing unevenly from outside to in or vice versa

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I am assuming that the car steered straight and true when you took it home from the dealer, right?

There are two things that may have contributed to your alignment problem:

1) Hitting a pot-hole and/or curb can seriously affect the alignment. If you do not recall such an event and you have had other drivers behind the wheel, check the tires and rims for tell-tale signs (i.e.: bent/scratched rims, cut tire, etc.)

2) A defective or damaged tire. Tire belts can shift causing the car to pull to one side. Although this is rare, I had it happen on my Jeep after I had a repair plug put in. I rotated the tire to the rear and the problem disappeared.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I did notice it after a few days of ownership. I ignored it thinking the Mo just needed to settle in. I'm taking it in tomorrow. Guy said he would align and balance it. Thank you for your help though. I really love this site and their members. LETS ALL GO TAILGATE!! lol

·
4,601 Posts
There was an issue early on, with some Murano's not having the steering rack torqued down properly.

It might be a repeat, so ask them to check for things that might be shifting under load.

·
4,601 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same problem w/ an 05 SL, new w/ only 40 miles on it.

The dealer did an alignment at no charge and I was good to go. I wasn't really given an explanation for the problem but it's all good now.

Until my wife backed in to my two week old Murano and bent the front wheel up under the strut, that is... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome thanks for the info! do you think I should print that pdf file and give it to my service rep.? I dont want to be that annoying customer that tells them how to do thier job!

·
4,601 Posts
I think having it and asking leading questions might be a better start... And if they don't get the hint, tell them you heard something about it and if they could explain what's in that TSB and if it might be a factor.

Since you'll know what's in it, you'll quickly get a measure on their knowledge and BS factor if any.

Give them a chance to be the experts helping the customer. If they step up in the role, you win!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05 SL...Noticed it within a few days of driving off the lot...Took it back twice before they got it right - Time for another tire rotation now so I'm kind of apprehensive about getting it done as I'm sure the "vibration" problem may crop up again !!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes on the first occasion it was the alignment...but as I said I still had the vibration issue and they rotated/balanced at least twice before it stopped(I suspect the out of balance tires may be BOTH on the rear now hence my reluctance to have them rotated again) !!

·
Registered
128 Posts
My wife's '05 went out of alignment at about 9k miles (Nissan aligned for free), and again its off at 15k miles.

We just got back from a long trip, and I gotta say, the ride was great but it really sucked having to keep pulling the wheel to the right to keep the Mo straight.

My wife insists she hasnt hit a pothole or anything, and I have not in that car either.

I want to take it to the dealer to have them check the torque on the rack, but I will be seriously pissed if they charge me for an alignment. Why would it keep doing this? We dont live on a ranch or anything :p

I might just end up forking over 200 bucks for a 5 year alignment through NTB and saying screw it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
"I might just end up forking over 200 bucks for a 5 year alignment through NTB and saying screw it."

Is that 4 $49.95 alignments?
What can they possibly do for $200 that is different from a standard alignment, or are you just paying in advance in case you need them?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Basically I get an alignment now, and if (and probably when at this rate) it goes out of alignment again, I get infinite alignments for 5 years.... of course I am sure there is fine print I havent read.

But we have driven 15k miles in like 6 months or something. And already its gone off twice. 200 bucks is certainly cheaper than doing it over and over and over at 40 bucks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My '03 required an alignment when I first bought it because the steering wheel was off about 3 degrees to the right. My new '06 required an alignment for the exact same reason. Both of them were like that at the dealership prior to purchase.

The '03 never required an additional alignments in 3 years and 56,000 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts