Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Murano isn't even three weeks old yet and already a big chip on the windshield and it is starting to crack. Damn Phoenix freeways. Do those chip repair places actually work? Where they inject stuff into the chip?

·
The Member
104 Posts
Chip

Sorry to hear that, but you will need to replace the windshield if the crack will keep growing.

It's not too expensive though if you skip the dealer and go to the glass shop ;)

·
The Member
104 Posts
Warranty

patrickem does it really ?!

If it does this is just great :2:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
If the extended warranty covers it then I am going for it too. I picked up a chip yesterday from a loose gravel on new pavement on the freeway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zebelkhan said:
If the extended warranty covers it then I am going for it too. I picked up a chip yesterday from a loose gravel on new pavement on the freeway.
We were told the extended warranty covers everything including wear and tear. For 100,000 miles. That is why we bought it.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
i believed your car insurance will waive

the deductible for winshield replacement/repair if you carry a comprehensive policy. My insurance, geico, did state it clearly in their bulletin. So ask your insurance first before replacing your winshield.
I assume if you own a murano, you will have comprehensive rite? :D

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
patrickem said:

We were told the extended warranty covers everything including wear and tear. For 100,000 miles. That is why we bought it.
I was told the same thing but to be honest I am sure they meant coverage is for items that goes wrong with the car but not as the result of outside "collision" elements. For instance, paint flaking off may be covered, but paint damage due to collision with a car is difinitely not. Still it would be worth trying.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Confused

You guys jump too fast from Extended warranty by Nissan and a Property Insurance from your Ins Company. Two tottaly different things.

The way i understood this is that Nissan covers it, not the Ins Company. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me.... days after taking ownership. I saw the pebble coming at me... it was like slow motion...noooooooo.

I had them repair it with a filler. Still noticable but not as bad and not in my line of sight so I left it there. I didn't want them replacing my screen being so new. So far it has not expanded after a 1+year after the repair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Confused

MOCKBA said:
You guys jump too fast from Extended warranty by Nissan and a Property Insurance from your Ins Company. Two tottaly different things.

The way i understood this is that Nissan covers it, not the Ins Company. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That is what we were told when we got the extended warranty. Nissan covers it. That is why we got the extended warranty. It was expensinve we wouldn't have gotten it if it didn't cover all the things we were told it did.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I would be very surprised if Nissan would cover this as a warranty item (since it was caused by a stone and not a faulty part or workmanship). I guess it kinda depends on the dealer. Good Luck.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
what i am trying to say is that in the case the extended warranty

will not cover it, then you should try your insurance company.
No deductible or whatsoever under my insurance company policy. Check with yours.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sug's on the right track.

Stay with me.... A warranty fixes defects in materials or workmanship.
An extended warranty fixes defects in materials or workmaship for a period of time extended beyond the standard warranty.

If your windshield broke due to faulty glass or other defect, the warranty or extended warranty would fix it.

Damage from a flying rock is not a defect in materials.

Go the insurance route. My comprehensive also waives the deductible for broken windshields. They figure it's a safety issue that needs to be fixed pronto.

I recommend Binswanger, if there is one in your area.
The boss lady and I went through six windshields in four years while they were widening the highway between our house and the big city.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I went and got the chip fixed with one of those injection things. It still looks like it is there, but it did come with a guarentee that it won't spread. I have never had this done before so I didn't know what to expect. Supposedly this will stop it from spreading and becoming a large bunch of cracks. $30 for the fix and if it cracks more they will replace the windshield for free. Even though we are covered by either the extra coverage we got from Nissan or our Insurance I liked this option for now. I just didn't like the idea of having the windshield replaced on a vehicle that is not even 3 weeks old. This whole thing just makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. I know it is just a car, but it sure is a beautiful one, and now it is scarred.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
patrickem....

I have that injection done on my other car (not the murano). It seem to work too. For the past 4 yrs, the crack is there but not widen.

The workmanship of this injection work is warranted. Meaning: in the case the crack(s) get bigger, the entire windshield will be replaced. So keep your eye open, measure it everyday if necessary.

Also, call your insurance company. Like i said in earlier post, most ins company will waive the deductible to replace the entire windshiled, instead of doing this injection thingy.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just a note of interest, now I'm not suggesting you actually do this but....Insurance company's will not pay for a crack in the window unless it's the size of a dollar bill. If the crack is that long, about 6 inches, they will replace the windshield minus your comprehensive deductable.

PS....Use a towel when you hit the window with a hammer!!!
Call your company and ask them their requirements in advance!

Bob1

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bob1 said:
Just a note of interest, now I'm not suggesting you actualy do this but....Insurance company's will not pay for a crack in the window unless it's the size of a dollar bill. If the crack is that long, about 6 inches, they will replace the windshield minus your comprehensive deductable.

PS....Use a towel when you hit the window with a hammer!!!
Call your company and ask them their requirements in advance!

Bob1
Nice. NOT!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts