Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't paying attention and poured about a cup of windshield washer fluid into the coolant reservoir. Anyone know what harm this will do to the engine?
 

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
Joined
·
4,994 Posts
Never know it.

Wish it would help. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
Windshield washer fluid is primarily water and methyl alcohol. Neither ingredient is harmful to the antifreeze or the radiator.

Don't sweat it.

However, if you had put antifreeze in the windshield washer fluid reservoir...

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
If you are really concerned you could get your radiator flushed and filled. Just tell 'em not to mention the soap bubbles. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for putting my mind at ease. I feel much better now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
njjoe said:
Windshield washer fluid is primarily water and methyl alcohol. Neither ingredient is harmful to the antifreeze or the radiator.

Don't sweat it.

However, if you had put antifreeze in the windshield washer fluid reservoir...

-njjoe
or windshield washer in engine oil

or antifreeze in transmission

that would really be a killer :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Actually you can remove the coolant reservoir - its super easy. Its held on by one or two 10mm bolts, and the plastic tube from the radiator is held on by a pressure clip. Just unbolt the reservoir, and you can even turn it upside down to empty it (into a suitable container for recyling). Then refill with 50/50 coolant, or even straight water (there's enough coolant in the radiator to mix with it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Speaking of Windshield washers, some time ago while getting an oil change, the technition forgot to replace my washer fluid cap. Now it is gone. Anyone know what the part number for it is and where I could buy a replacement?

Sorry for the threadjack...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
NatasG said:
Speaking of Windshield washers, some time ago while getting an oil change, the technition forgot to replace my washer fluid cap. Now it is gone. Anyone know what the part number for it is and where I could buy a replacement?

Sorry for the threadjack...
Anyone know... where I could buy a replacement? Yeah, did it happen at the dealership? If so, how about borrowing one from the salesman's demo? :D

-njjoe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Being an 05, I'd just return to the dealership and tell them "hey, where'd my washer fluid cap go?" And hope they will order you a new one under warranty. If not, I can't imagine the part is any more than $10, but it will be a special order that might take a week or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
NatasG-

After looking under my hood and seeing the part in question, I doubt you can buy the cap itself from Nissan. My guess is that you would have to buy the whole reservoir assembly.

Don't give up just yet. First, I would check under your hood around the sides of the reservoir bottle. It is possible the tech simply dropped the cap when pulling it off. With any luck it is wedged along the side.

Next, I would try an auto parts store and see if a cap from a generic bottle would fit. You never know. I can almost guarantee a generic reservoir assembly will cost much less than the Nissan OEM cap.

Happy hunting!

-njjoe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:
NatasG-

After looking under my hood and seeing the part in question, I doubt you can buy the cap itself from Nissan. My guess is that you would have to buy the whole reservoir assembly.

Don't give up just yet. First, I would check under your hood around the sides of the reservoir bottle. It is possible the tech simply dropped the cap when pulling it off. With any luck it is wedged along the side.

Next, I would try an auto parts store and see if a cap from a generic bottle would fit. You never know. I can almost guarantee a generic reservoir assembly will cost much less than the Nissan OEM cap.

Happy hunting!

-njjoe
To add to this, you might even be able to find a plastic cap off a jar that would fit - I'm thinking about something like the lid of a tennis ball can. Just measure the top of the washer reservoir, and then take your ruler to the supermarket or local Walmart and measure away! I'm sure you'll find something interesting that will fit, and if the cap is blank, you can always write something fun on it, like "deadly acid" (with the skull and crossbones of course). :p

Then you can tell us what cap from what product fit (or not) and you might start a whole new modding trend on the forum. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,512 Posts
I want to add to Eric L.'s post, the one that he added to my post. :p

If you use a cap from a jar or container, do not forget to punch a vent hole in it. Otherwise the washer may not work properly.

-njjoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
At least for an '03 I can't find the part number but the radior over fill bottle cap is only $6.81 and the brake fluid cap is $9.46...


Wait just found it:

Cap Washer Reservoir #28913-40F00 $1.43
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top