Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are oil additives? And at how many miles should we add them to our oil and filter changes? I asked this lady at the dealership and she said she add hers at 15,000 miles. However, on the Nissan booklet it says we don’t really need them if they are using good oil. I’m asking since it was recommended to me the time I went to the dealer but as per the service lady there I declined the oil additive for now since I only have 1,500 miles in my car. If oil additives are needed with every oil change so I can add it on my next oil change lol

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What are oil additives? And at how many miles should we add them to our oil and filter changes? I asked this lady at the dealership and she said she add hers at 15,000 miles. However, on the Nissan booklet it says we don’t really need them if they are using good oil. I’m asking since it was recommended to me the time I went to the dealer but as per the service lady there I declined the oil additive for now since I only have 1,500 miles in my car. If oil additives are needed with every oil change so I can add it on my next oil change lol
I'm quite surprised that a dealership employee would recommend any oil additive unless this is some new b.s. service to push on customers (e.g. the "fuel system flush").

Don't dump anything into your engine except a good synthetic motor oil that meets the specification in the owners manual.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm quite surprised that a dealership employee would recommend any oil additive unless this is some new b.s. service to push on customers (e.g. the "fuel system flush").

Don't dump anything into your engine except a good synthetic motor oil that meets the specification in the owners manual.
Well it wasn’t the employee it was the texting system where they let us know what our car needs during the routine inspection. While they are doing the inspection they text us whatever our car needs at the moment. But I asked one of the Nissan service ladies there and she said that she adds it as 15,000 miles to her car. So I was like ok I guess I’ll wait. But the manual says no additives are needed. So I was confused 🤷🏼‍♀️ The bottom pic is how they “recommended” the oil additive but I didn’t add it lol

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
84 Posts
You do NOT need any oil additives. This is a $3 can of BS snake oil that the dealer is trying to sell you for $25. Show the dealer this thread and tell them they are trying to rip you off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do NOT need any oil additives. This is a $3 can of BS snake oil that the dealer is trying to sell you for $25. Show the dealer this thread and tell them they are trying to rip you off.
Awesome! Thank you for the advice 😊

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the motor oil brand matter or it has to be the “Nissan” brand always? Or it doesn’t matter as long as they use the specific number for the car? On mine they used Mobil the first time but it was the correct number to the car 0W-20 SN 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just curious

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does the motor oil brand matter or it has to be the “Nissan” brand always? Or it doesn’t matter as long as they use the specific number for the car? On mine they used Mobil the first time but it was the correct number to the car 0W-20 SN Just curious
Per Nissan user manual it 0/20 and certify, Im using
Castrol Edge 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic form Walmart
Buying 2 to get free delivery ))

According to oil test results, engine is in a good condition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
Does the motor oil brand matter or it has to be the “Nissan” brand always? Or it doesn’t matter as long as they use the specific number for the car? On mine they used Mobil the first time but it was the correct number to the car 0W-20 SN 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just curious
Any oil that meets the specifications for motor oil (normally they are stated in the owner's manual) is fine and maintains compliance with the warranty. You can use Nissan, Mobil 1, Amsoil and other synthetic oils which meet the specs.

I looked up the 2016 Murano owner's manual, and the oil spec is on page 9-6. Here is a screen shot:

It shows the required API (American Petroleum Institute) service spec for engine oil is SN. Therefore, any motor oil labeled as meeting the SN service requirement is acceptable. It also specifies 0W-20 oil. Both of these are common specs available in a number of good synthetic oils.

Incidentally, the specs for oils are on page 9-2 of that manual. It shows that you can use either 0W-20 or 5W-30 motor oils.

This may be more detailed than you need, but it's worth noting to anyone who reviews this thread that this info is available in your owner's manual.

Reactions: misshely

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any oil that meets the specifications for motor oil (normally they are stated in the owner's manual) is fine and maintains compliance with the warranty. You can use Nissan, Mobil 1, Amsoil and other synthetic oils which meet the specs.

I looked up the 2016 Murano owner's manual, and the oil spec is on page 9-6. Here is a screen shot:
View attachment 53939

It shows the required API (American Petroleum Institute) service spec for engine oil is SN. Therefore, any motor oil labeled as meeting the SN service requirement is acceptable. It also specifies 0W-20 oil. Both of these are common specs available in a number of good synthetic oils.

Incidentally, the specs for oils are on page 9-2 of that manual. It shows that you can use either 0W-20 or 5W-30 motor oils.

View attachment 53940
This may be more detailed than you need, but it's worth noting to anyone who reviews this thread that this info is available in your owner's manual.
Awesome! Thank you! My dealership used the Mobil super synthetic 0W-20 SN so I’m good 😊

·
Administrator
9,163 Posts
With all the work that goes into oil chemistry today, especially synthetics, I advise against adding oil supplements. I have used them in past decades (hint: more than 30 years ago) but the oil is so much more engineered now that I'm reluctant to mess with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With all the work that goes into oil chemistry today, especially synthetics, I advise against adding oil supplements. I have used them in past decades (hint: more than 30 years ago) but the oil is so much more engineered now that I'm reluctant to mess with it.
Thank you! I won’t use additives then 😊

1 - 14 of 14 Posts