Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when performing an oil change how much oil do you put in? In my Pulsar the manual called for 3.75 QTS but if I added more than 3.25 it was over the full line on the dipstick.

The MO calls for 4.25 QTS..... will that over fill it beyond the H mark on the dipstick?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Gonzo, I have seen this topic on many boards and the short of it is, put in something less (like 4 quarts) and read the dipstick, add as necessary rechecking the dipstick.

The amount of oil you have to add depends on how much you drain. Now at first light that sounds like duh! But the thing is, it depends on the angle of the car wrt level, temperature, viscosity of oil, how long you let it drain, filter, etc. Now people have measured their drained oil precisely and have found all kinds of strange results. Maybe the manufacturers specs depend on these factors too, I don't know. But don't worry about it.

Also, when you change the filter and oil...start the car and idle for a few seconds to pump oil into the filter, through the passages etc. Then shut off the engine and recheck adding if necessary.

And if you can...post what you find.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I've changed the oil on my Murano twice, and it takes 4.25 qts with filter change, like the manual says. What I usually do is refill with 4qts, start up the engine, idle for 30 seconds, and then top off the oil level.

·
Registered
126 Posts
dipstick reading?

Has anyone had a problem getting a good reading with the MO dipstick? I changed oil, put in 4.25 qt, and got NO reading on the dipstick. I added until I was up to 5 qts, and still did not have a reading. I then followed the procedure in the owner's manual, and warmed it up fully, waited 10 min and checked. Still no oil on the stick. What's up? I drained 3/4 qt back out just to be sure it wasn't overfilled, but still don't know why I cannot get a reading. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If your oil is really new and clean, it will almost be clear. The easiest way to see the oil in this case is to use a paper towel to wipe the dipstick. Only don't wipe - just lay the dipstick on the towel and look at the oil imprint, that will tell you the oil level.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny I had the same issue.... even trying to look at the clean oil. I couldn't see anything.... funny though if I recall if you looked on one side of the dip stick you could see it, but the other side not. Perhaps related to the angle of the stick????

I added 4QTS to mine... I like it slightly below full.

:D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yep I usually saturate the filter with oil before I install it. It saves that one second of oil starvation while the dry filter soaks up after an oil change. Its not necessarily 1/4 qt, although I think it holds that much.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Eric L. said:
Yep I usually saturate the filter with oil before I install it. It saves that one second of oil starvation while the dry filter soaks up after an oil change. Its not necessarily 1/4 qt, although I think it holds that much.
yep Eric.... i agree... adding ¼ qt. of oil to it, would require filling the lil filter to the near brim....

then ya gotta figure out how to install it!!lol

normally, i wet the seal with the oil, and add about 1/3 of the filter's volume with oil.... (back in the day, again, when i usedta do it myself).....

recycling centers have become harder to find, and, i prefer to have my motor oil in the engine compartment only, if you get my drift.............

-eSe

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Your sure no reading, sometimes new oil is hard to see? Is it level or on ramps?"
On level surface, and yes the oil is hard to see... but I've been changing my oil for 30 yrs on dozens of vehicles and have NEVER had oil this hard to see (assuming it is there, and I'm just not seeing it).

"just lay the dipstick on the towel and look at the oil imprint"
Good one. I should have known about this... but then again, in 30 yrs I've never NOT been able to see the oil line...

I went out last nite and added oil (to warm engine), 0.2 qts at a time, allowed 10 min after adding oil before checking, still no clear 'signal' on the dipstick after adding 0.8 qt above the 4.25 recommended amount.

The backside of my dipstick always has oil on it, but I assume that's from scraping against the side of the case/hole on the way out. The zigzags in the dipstick are designed to keep the 'calibrated' face of the stick from touching anything on the way out.

I can't believe this is being such a pain in the rear!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well, I just had to go see what the discussion was about, so I went out and checked my oil. Car only has 600 miles on it and yes, ive used to checking oil. Let's just say that I checked my first oil more than 50 years ago.
simple stuff really. Sometimes you just have to get the light on it ............Holy cow! I'm running without oil!

Hmmnnnn.

Finally got a 100 watt trouble light positioned just right and was right where it was supposed to be.

The color of the dipstick is a PERFECT match with new oil!
Can't answer the capacity issue, but can verify that checking the oil IS a bear. Never saw a dipstick that was so hard to read.

Wonder if there is a way to color the oil.........

Homer

·
Registered
126 Posts
I appreciate having my feelings validated! (I sounded just like my wife there....).

I've also been pondering the merits of dumping a few drops of food coloring into the oil. No, probably not. I suppose painting the end of the dipstick might work. I don't want paint flakes in the crankcase, though...

Maybe a few drops of A/C leak finder dye and a blacklight...

DAMMIT! checking the oil isn't supposed to be this complicated!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oil Level Overfill?

Just checked my oil after my 2nd oil change. Looks like the dealership overfilled. The level of oil is past the F mark about a half of inch (right up to the first "hump" past the F on the dipstick).

My question is whether having this extra quart or so? in the engine is a problem? What should I do?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Good question.

Don't know, call your dealer service rep and ask. The Service Manual states to keep the oil between the low and high marks. No other info if above high mark. It could cause extra oil/vapor to accumulate in the PCV circuit or emissions, might mean leaks, codes or premature wear or tear on rubber and plastic items. Don't think it will do any mechanical damage but I don't know. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
HELP

I changed my oil about a week ago and didn't bother checking the dipstick - I put in 4.25 quarts like the manual says. I didn't check it because I can never see it when the oil is new. It has now been 400 miles and I checked the oil. Stick was dry. I added oil. Still dry. Added more oil up to 5 quarts. Still dry on the side /w the markings. If the put the stick in upside down I get a reading.

I'm starting to think that my dipstick was assembled wrong - I know others in this thread could not get an oil reading.

Can somone help. When you dipstick is UP, /w the handle curved upward which side is the markings on. (L XXXX H)

Thanks! For now I drained out .75 quarts.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny samething happened to me on my first oil change... 4 - 4.25 works for my oil change.

I also remember that on the first oil change the oil was very clear... very clear. Don't look for a marking from the oil but rather look for the reflection on the dipstick itself.

After the initial oil change it was not so clear as from the first.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Hey "old" guys. I know this is a relatively old thread but I thought I would resurrect it for us new guys.

I just changed the oil ("erl") and filter on the MO for the first time and encountered the same two problems you guys previously outlined- 1) after adding 4.25 quarts as per the manual, the oil did not register on the dipstick; 2) the oil level is damn hard to see on the dipstick.

At first I kind of panicked because it was getting dark and I have a job interview tomorrow about 200 miles away. I couldn't tell if I needed more oil or if I was just misreading the level. But then I searched this forum and sure enough, there was the guidance and solution I was looking for. Thanx to the earlier efforts of you "old" guys, I knew if the MO was parked on an incline (ramps, etc.) and the oil was given time to fully drain, I would need almost 5 quarts to top off the crankcase. I also learned from this site that if I placed the dipstick on a paper towel I could better see the oil level reading on the dipstick.

I have owned small 4 cylinders (MG Midget), big V-8s (Ford LTD) and a lot in between, but never did I have this much difficulty checking the oil level during a change.

You guys saved the day!!

Thanx again!!

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts