Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
b0xdesigns-

This question just begs to be asked... WHY??

There is no practical need for installing an oil/air separator in the PCV line. How does it benefit the performance, longevity, or maintenance of the engine?

Inquiring minds want to know. :p

-njjoe

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
njjoe said:
b0xdesigns-

This question just begs to be asked... WHY??

There is no practical need for installing an oil/air separator in the PCV line. How does it benefit the performance, longevity, or maintenance of the engine?

Inquiring minds want to know. :p

-njjoe
Well I just want to know. I've seen/read about cases in some online infinity and other Nissan model forums where these catch tanks actually catch oil. I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of having oil pass through there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
b0xdesigns said:

Well I just want to know. I've seen/read about cases in some online infinity and other Nissan model forums where these catch tanks actually catch oil. I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of having oil pass through there.
A catch can/ may trap oil that is mixed with air coming thru the PCV system of the engine. The PCV system contains crankcase vapors and pulls them back into the intake air. Oil in the intake air is not good in that it causes smoke and possibly detonation.
Having said that I have seen no significant oil usage in my MO or Maxima (same engine).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
For the VQ, an oil catch tank will function mainly as a cosmetic item. Never seen a problem with the PCV system on these engines, ever.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
wow, i was actually just checking the oil catch can mod on the fx forum last night, it's amazing how much oil the fx and g35's have blown into the intake and it's true that it may cause detonation. i was wanting to do this mod but the pcv hose is connect to the upper part of the intake which is way under the windsheild cowl so there is very restricted access to it. no go i guess.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
nissanlove-

The amount of oil vapor blown into the intake manifold via the PCV valve is minuscule and will not cause detonation. The oil others are reporting in their oil catch tanks have accumulated over thousands of miles.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
that's true but seeing the pictures on the fx forum with the oil covered g35 and fx intakes scares me. some have even reported having to empty out the catch can twice before having a regular oil change. maybe i'll try doing this mod on my dad's truck to see how effective it is(and because it's much more easily accessible)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts