Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been covered a million times in this forum. The owners manual says (words in essence) - change oil first time at regular interval - i.e., I guess the days of the 500 mile break in are over. What's the first recommended oil change (mileage wise)?

Also, the manual says (words in essence) - Nissan prefers fossil-fuel based oil - they don't come out and say no synthetics.

For all you synthetic users out there - what are you using? Weight? Everything AOK?

Thanks all - Jim

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think any 5w30 synthetic with an API certification will be fine. You should not put synthetic in immediately though. Just to be safe, it is best to wait until the second oil change to allow the engine to break in and the rings to seat on the conventional motor oil.

I personally use Mobil One 5w30.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Here's an oil analysis of my 2000 Maxima SE with 135k miles on it. I had this done for the first time back in Audust just to see what it would look like. I broke the car in normally following (pretty much :2: ) the owners manual.

I switched to Mobile One 5-30 at 10,000 miles to insure that the engine was completely broken in and everything seated properly.

I then changed both Mobile One and the filter every 5000 miles.

Here's the results:

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
For very HOT regions I suggest 10-40w just due to the heat making the oil a little thinner due to heat.

For normal to cold regions I suggest 5-30w.

Just from my personal knowledge,
Chez

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just did my 1st MO oil change at 3720 miles. I switched to Mobil 1 5w30. I was glad to see that Nissan smartened up and put the oil filter in a more accessable spot. My pathfinder's oil filter was between the engine and the exhaust manifold. I didn't have any trouble removing the oil filter. I did use a pipe wrench since I had the room. Has anyone noticed any improvements in mpg since switching to synthetic?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
rugiles said:
My pathfinder's oil filter was between the engine and the exhaust manifold.
I had an 88 Maxima that sent me straight to the the Jiffy Lube! That was by far the tightest, most inaccessible oil filter on the planet. I changed the oil myself on that car exactly 1 time. When I was finished, I looked like the coal miners they rescued last year.

:behead: For the record, this forum has some of the coolest smilies I've ever seen

·
Registered
423 Posts
dklanecky1 said:

I switched to Mobile One 5-30 at 10,000 miles to insure that the engine was completely broken in and everything seated properly.

I then changed both Mobile One and the filter every 5000 miles.

Here's the results:
I'm doing the same thing...only with Amsoil. I'm using 5W-30 and changing it every 5,000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts