Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Im done with dealers, what to do it myself.
By the book:
Genuine NISSAN engine oil or equivalent.
• Engine oil with API Certification Mark.
• Viscosity SAE 0W-20.
• As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W-30 conventional pe- troleum based oil may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I did check my receipts and dealer always used 5w30 Mob 1. Not sure why, and last time they change as for full synthetic but message just popped up,
after 3.2K miles.

Im looking to get
Mobil 1 96995 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart (Pack of 6)

Any objections to this oil brand / viscosity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
133 Posts
imho, I believe that the Nissan vq's do better on 5w-30 (or 40) than the 0w-20. I believe that the 0w-20 is just a café thing to up fleet mileage but I believe that it's not up to the vq's needs. any synthetic will serve you well for at least 5k miles.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always thought 0w-20 is better for winters.

5K is more than enough.

·
Registered
133 Posts
sure, 0 is better for cold flow but its the 20 that doesn't offer enough protection once the engine's warmed up. also, it depends upon how cold it gets by you, whether you're garaged & etc if you'd even benefit from 0 weight at all. i'm in upper Midwest and parked outside and 5w-30 synthetic flows plenty good enough on the vast majority of winter days. if I was going mobil, i'd go with their 0-40. and i'm convinced that nearly every synthetic when used with a good-guy filter (figure ~ $10) will easily go 6k without issue (unless you're under severe extreme duty conditions, and even then it would probably still be ok). fyi, oil analysis on my 11 mur at 7500 showed it was still good for at least another 1k.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surban1, thank you.
Im in Seattle, WA. It doesn’t get that cold and I keep cars in the garage overnight.
I think now by going with 5W-30 should be good.

Mobil 1, Castrol or Motul? Any recommendations on the brand?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have to say, if manufacturer recommends something, why not just do it? 0w20 is recommended so that's what I use. Mobil 1 is still great stuff. I've owned dozens of vehicles for fifty years and have never gone wrong following builders recommendations for motor oil. To me the key is change the oil and filter often. More often than recommended is the best. A $50 oil change is pretty cheap insurance for a $40K plus ride ! I've always done my own so I know it's right.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have to say, if manufacturer recommends something, why not just do it? 0w20 is recommended so that's what I use. Mobil 1 is still great stuff. I've owned dozens of vehicles for fifty years and have never gone wrong following builders recommendations for motor oil. To me the key is change the oil and filter often. More often than recommended is the best. A $50 oil change is pretty cheap insurance for a $40K plus ride ! I've always done my own so I know it's right.

Agreed, but why dealers are using 5W30 ? I did look all my receipts.
Should they follow the manufacturer recommendations?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nissan says 5w-30 is fine to use, i.e, it's recommended. you're so warm in seattle especially in a garage that low temps is not an issue for you to even consider. I'm convinced that the use 0w-20 solely because they want to bump up their fleet gas mileage numbers so they use super thin oil to help in this regard, but it shears & etc. too easily especially in the vq. any full synthetic will be fine for 5-6k so save yourself the $ and get what's on sale or whatever you feel comfortable with. just be sure to get a high-end good guy filter (no $2 cheapy junk). bob the oil guy is great but some of them are maybe a little too hardcore ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dealers use 10-30 dino/reg petroleum oil because it's approved by Nissan and is cheaper than synthetic. Do yourself a favor and get good synthetic 0w20 Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil and good filters (eg. Mobil1, Bosch, K&N but not Fr--, ) and change at least when recommended not later.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im not sure what dealers are using, I always ask them to use Full Syndetic. Oil change around $90.
But we have message just popped up, 3K/4 Months after last oil change. This is the reason I want to start do oil change myself.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the fram ultra synthetic oil filter is top notch quality, technology and overall primo, nothing at all like their low end crap oil filters.

So original Nissan filer is not a good option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Don't get too obsessive about oil changes. The 5-30 Mobil 1 recommended by Nissan is fine (does anyone here, including me, know better than Nissan what oil to use? I doubt it.) Any "better" filter (i.e., one that's a step above the standard cheapest filters) will work fine as well.

Use the same oil and stick with it. Synthetics generally create minimal deposits in the engine, but it is good to stay with one brand regardless.

And change a bit more often than the manufacturer recommends. It may waste a buck or two, but then again, it may extend your engine life to 200K miles or more. Oil collects contaminants and condensation, and the filter picks up much of that stuff.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just did the oil change. Thank you Nissan for small plastic cover for oil filter access.
Nissan what were you thinking when you designed dip stick?

Thank you all for your help.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Just did the oil change. Thank you Nissan for small plastic cover for oil filter access.
Nissan what were you thinking when you designed dip stick?

Thank you all for your help.

That dip stick has been the source of derision and frustration for years. Welcome to the club. Not much you can do except check first thing in the AM before starting, or let a warm car sit for at least 10 minutes before checking the level.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use the dealer but I have that maint program. oil,filter and tire rotation for 5 yrs (I think) they use Penzoil select (Semi synthetic) 5w30, and every 5k and 6 mos. so I guess that's ok being Nissan is doing it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes must have been a 'dipstick' that engineered that dip stick. Placement is difficult to get it in without a light and reading it is tricky also. Glad you got some good info on oil change.
Never changed my own, but should try. I try and use Mobil 1 5w30 and it works fine in these periodic -30 to -40 temps (C and F are the same at -40!). Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
The 5-30 is just fine. I might run a heavier oil if I lived in an equatorial country, but for the US and Canada it's appropriate. Remember that this is a multi-viscosity oil and is selected because the oil itself is engineered to run across a variety of temperature ranges while maintaining its lubricating qualities. Today's oil is very, very carefully engineered with a specific additive set that manufacturers create.

I could add a long story here, but the essence is that I have an 2-cycle outboard motor built in 1970 that called for a gas to oil ratio of 18:1. Running that same Mercury outboard today, I use a ratio of 50:1. That's right, it takes about one-third as much of today's oil to lubricate that motor as it did in with the oils produced in 1970. The oil is THAT much better!! (And I called Mercury and confirmed with the manufacturer that this is correct. I asked them what changed, and their response was "the oil.")

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes must have been a 'dipstick' that engineered that dip stick. Placement is difficult to get it in without a light and reading it is tricky also. Glad you got some good info on oil change.
Never changed my own, but should try. I try and use Mobil 1 5w30 and it works fine in these periodic -30 to -40 temps (C and F are the same at -40!). Cheers.
If you live in Canada and you want to use synthetic, why not use 0w20 which is the first recommended by Nissan?
I don't understand second guessing the company the made your vehicle.
As OP quotes
"SAE 5W-30 conventional pe- troleum based oil may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."
Note: 5w30 as a second recommendation by Nissan is for conventional petroleum based oil, not synthetic.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts