61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is the ULTRA platinum, not just platinum, I know it is somehow confusing

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-0W-20-SN-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/772029221

I always go by mileage, at least that is how I set my reminder (6000miles)
Oops my bad. I saw the 5w-30 one (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/55291206)

It's currently on sale in Canada!

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-ultra-platinum-syntheticengineoil-5-l-0289360p.html#srp

·
Registered
412 Posts
I did my oil change this weekend and wanted to try something new.

I started using this Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20, it is only available online and very expensive. I immediately noticed a smoother ride driving on the highway.
Before I was using Mobil1 full synthetic.

Looks like Penzoil has some type of deal with Nissan.
Because my nissan dealer uses Penzoil, and Penzoil makes the gear and differential oil for Nissan.
There's a $10 rebate available until end of June:

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/promotion-14.html#iframe=L2RpeS9TcHJpbmdNSVIxOS8

·
Registered
906 Posts
I did my oil change this weekend and wanted to try something new.

I started using this Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20, it is only available online and very expensive. I immediately noticed a smoother ride driving on the highway.
Before I was using Mobil1 full synthetic.

Looks like Penzoil has some type of deal with Nissan.
Because my nissan dealer uses Penzoil, and Penzoil makes the gear and differential oil for Nissan.
There's a $10 rebate available until end of June:

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/promotion-14.html#iframe=L2RpeS9TcHJpbmdNSVIxOS8
Thank you...
I just stock up on another one, sometimes they can be very hard to find.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
An interesting article with a different look at oil weights. It reminds us that a majority of engine wear takes place during startup when oil pressure and flow are beginning.

https://www.minimania.com/Motor_Oils_-_It_Is_So_Very_Misunderstood

One thing it points out that I heartily agree with: " The gold standard is that all engines should have a pressure of 10 PSI for every 1,000 RPM of operation, not more, not less."

Parts 2 and 3 of the info get into advantages of synthetic oils.

There is room to argue with some of the author's assertions, and this is a good example:

"At temperatures below zero you will not be able to start your car with mineral oils while the synthetic oils may be used to -40 or - 50 F."

Not true. Those of us who have been around for a while know darn well that car engines started at temps far below zero in the days before synthetic oils were available. In 1969, I started my old '59 Ford at around 50 below zero one night (and drove home) after signing off a radio station in eastern Washington. Everyone in town was driving around during a two-week period when it was consistently around 20 below zero. Synthetic oils hadn't really hit the market at that time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just did the oil change. Thank you Nissan for small plastic cover for oil filter access.
Nissan what were you thinking when you designed dip stick?

Thank you all for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just did my first oil change on our MO 2015. Not only the dip stick but access to the filter and oil plug. WTF No fun when your on your back. Never had to do so much work for an oil change but I've had Hondas & 1 Toyota. Might be my last time with the MO.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Just did my first oil change on our MO 2015. Not only the dip stick but access to the filter and oil plug. WTF No fun when your on your back. Never had to do so much work for an oil change but I've had Hondas & 1 Toyota. Might be my last time with the MO.
I always keep a couple of large pieces of cardboard around to serve as working surfaces under cars. Not bad to slide around on cardboard while working under there; I stay cleaner and it's easier to slide on cardboard than concrete. Warmer, too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just did the first oil change on my '19 Platinum. This is my third Murano having had an '04 and an '11. The access to the oil filter and drain plug changed on the 3rd generation but not to the extent I will not be doing my own oil changes. The best purchase I made years ago was a pair of Rhino ramps. Light weight and with a long ramp. The last poster mentioned using cardboard and it works great. In addition to the cardboard I have a small piece of carpet that I lay on. Went with the recommended 0-20 oil, Mobil 1 of course. Also installed the larger filter. I wish Nissan would fire the 250 pound gorilla they use to install the filter at the factory. Every first filter I have ever pulled was installed very, very tight. I had the old trusty dusty filter wrench on hand so removal was not an issue but I doubt it will be used again until I get another new vehicle. FYI, the plastic shields are the same on the 8th generation Maxima's so I was already used to the removal of the shields.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always keep a couple of large pieces of cardboard around to serve as working surfaces under cars. Not bad to slide around on cardboard while working under there; I stay cleaner and it's easier to slide on cardboard than concrete. Warmer, too.
I've got the cardboard. :) Being in Eastern Ontario is quite cold now!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
My method:
Use vacuum oil extractor to suck the oil
Stick small foil pan under the oil filter to catch remaining oil when filter is of, also its very easy to dump oil from it into container.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just did the first oil change on my '19 Platinum. This is my third Murano having had an '04 and an '11. The access to the oil filter and drain plug changed on the 3rd generation but not to the extent I will not be doing my own oil changes. The best purchase I made years ago was a pair of Rhino ramps. Light weight and with a long ramp. The last poster mentioned using cardboard and it works great. In addition to the cardboard I have a small piece of carpet that I lay on. Went with the recommended 0-20 oil, Mobil 1 of course. Also installed the larger filter. I wish Nissan would fire the 250 pound gorilla they use to install the filter at the factory. Every first filter I have ever pulled was installed very, very tight. I had the old trusty dusty filter wrench on hand so removal was not an issue but I doubt it will be used again until I get another new vehicle. FYI, the plastic shields are the same on the 8th generation Maxima's so I was already used to the removal of the shields.
What larger filter do you use? I hate that Murano's recommended filter is so small while there is a lot of space for much larger one. My wife's Cadillac ATS uses much larger one. But I just wonder if difference in filters is only in size or threading (density and length)? Will any larger filter work?

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 1999Pathfinder & 1997Maxima used the PL14610 (for reference). Then my 2004 Maxima used the PL14612 (currently same filter on my 2007 & now 2017.5 Murano).
So (at some time there) Nissan went to a shorter filter (why???? save some$$$ ???). I just bought whatever was on-sale. They both fit (I think one is just longer).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Off topic: (Comparing my 2004&2007) Nissan adds almost a quart to the oil-capacity. The filter gets smaller... Oil-change interval stays the same which is and environmental unfriendly in modern days. They should just increase the filter size (hold more dirt) and oil-capacity to 6-7quarts & increase change intervals to 10Kmiles. The VQ pretty much requires full synthetic oil now.
My guess is most owners don't check the oil frequently & the VQ uses oil when they get older ... risking oil level can get too low @10K ??!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
So my Oil Maintenance message came up, funny considering I'd just pickup up a NAPA Platinum oil filter. I'd watched several videos of oil filters being cut open. Seems the NAPA oil filter is the best choice at this time, with the Platinum line being designed for Full Synthetic oils. Ordered it online for instore pickup, $16 with web discount. Printed it out and went to the store. Clerk voided the online order (Said something was wrong with in-store pickup pricing.) and sold it to me for $7. Sure beat that online discount!

Pennzoil is coming out and new is going in. This oil holds up very well. With the engine hot, I jacked up and supported the passenger's side, removing the tire. Taking a 3/8" clear tube, I just put it over the nipple of the Fumoto valve, stick the other end into my oil catch pan and opened the valve. I install a Fumoto oil drain valve on all my cars during the first oil change. Never have to deal with an oil drain plug again. Plus I never have to clean up any spilled oil that is a standard feature that goes along with removing an oil drain plug.

Taking off the oil filter shield, I make a oil catch using a gallon milk jug for the oil filter. I hated the first time I changed the oil on my 2003 Murano and oil got all over the frame. That's when I came up with this.

Takes two minutes to create one and save loads cleaning up and keeping the used oil contained. Plenty of room to put an oil filter wrench on if needed, and cleaning the gasket surface. I keep the jug there until I install the new primed oil filter, which drips when installing.

Gently remove it from under the new oil filter and removing the cap, drain the used oil into the catch pan.

Let the tube and jug drain over night. I keep the tube, in a freezer baggie, and just toss the milk jug. After draining the catch pan into the empty oil container, I bring the used oil to just about any auto parts store for recycling.

This is just a couple of tips for newbies, making your oil change a little easier and cleaner.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
7,791 Posts
Paul, what's the tube for? I see it but it just kind of appears in the middle of the procedure.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Paul, what's the tube for? I see it but it just kind of appears in the middle of the procedure.
Goes over the nipple of the Fumoto oil pan valve:

Not sure if this is the right one for the Murano, but it looks just like it. Keeps everything neat and clean.

Also what's nice about using the Fumoto oil pan valve you don't have to remove or twist the shield out of the way to drain the oil. I actually drilled a 3/4" hole in the shield several inches back from the drain valve to just pass the drain tube thru easily.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So my Oil Maintenance message came up, funny considering I'd just pickup up a NAPA Platinum oil filter. I'd watched several videos of oil filters being cut open. Seems the NAPA oil filter is the best choice at this time, with the Platinum line being designed for Full Synthetic oils. Ordered it online for instore pickup, $16 with web discount. Printed it out and went to the store. Clerk voided the online order (Said something was wrong with in-store pickup pricing.) and sold it to me for $7. Sure beat that online discount!

View attachment 50981

Pennzoil is coming out and new is going in. This oil holds up very well. With the engine hot, I jacked up and supported the passenger's side, removing the tire. Taking a 3/8" clear tube, I just put it over the nipple of the Fumoto valve, stick the other end into my oil catch pan and opened the valve. I install a Fumoto oil drain valve on all my cars during the first oil change. Never have to deal with an oil drain plug again. Plus I never have to clean up any spilled oil that is a standard feature that goes along with removing an oil drain plug.

Taking off the oil filter shield, I make a oil catch using a gallon milk jug for the oil filter. I hated the first time I changed the oil on my 2003 Murano and oil got all over the frame. That's when I came up with this.

View attachment 50982

Takes two minutes to create one and save loads cleaning up and keeping the used oil contained. Plenty of room to put an oil filter wrench on if needed, and cleaning the gasket surface. I keep the jug there until I install the new primed oil filter, which drips when installing.

View attachment 50983

Gently remove it from under the new oil filter and removing the cap, drain the used oil into the catch pan.

View attachment 50984

Let the tube and jug drain over night. I keep the tube, in a freezer baggie, and just toss the milk jug. After draining the catch pan into the empty oil container, I bring the used oil to just about any auto parts store for recycling.

This is just a couple of tips for newbies, making your oil change a little easier and cleaner.

Have a good day.

Always have to give a bit of admiration to DIYers. I know enough, but I am all thumbs and not as young as I used to be to attempt an oil change in a modern vehicle. Nice job.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts