Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all
Just want to ask your opinion about should i change oil at home or bring my murano to dealer to do it (3000 miles oil change)? i could do it at home, no problem.... the only thing i got scare is if something wrong with the engine, the dealer will void my warranty because they just say that i mess up the car by change the oil myself.... any input?
thanks

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
This car is so easy to change the oil. The filter is near the bottom of the engine. As I understand it save all your reciept for the oil filters and oil and keep a good maintenance log and should be all set.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The very first oil change is kind of difficult, since the filter is on VERY tight from the factory! I do all my oil changes at home, but the very first change, I had to have the dealer remove the filter for me.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I find that for the first oil change I use a oil filter wrench and pop that baby right off.... also helpful if I put the foolish thing on too tight..... :4:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Do you really trust the dealer to do it right. I mean when you write the instructions on how to pour the water out of the boot on it's sole and they still can't get out it makes me really worry. What I want is a way to find a good garage to maintain my MO. Grip. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Save the money and do it yourself. Just document it in your maintenance guide and you should have no problem with the dealer.:29:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all
i'll bring the murano to my brother garage to change the oil filter. One more thing, if anyone bring the car to the dealer, do you know if they do anything else beside change the oilfilter..? thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally, I have all my work done at the dealer.
(no criticism to those who enjoy doing it themselves)

Reasons:

1) Lack of knowledge (never took the time to learn)
2) Lack of tools (I own one set of screw drivers (really crappy ones)
and a hack saw)(and I got those as gifts)
3) Lack of interest (rather spend time doing "other stuff")
4) Nobody to complain to when I screw up :D

Question: What do you guys do with the oil you drain out of your
Mo?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I believe it is a Federal Law that service stations that offer oil changes must take your wast oil for free disposal. The dealer gets about $35 down here for an oil change. There are a number of non dealer places that will do it for 1/2 that also. Grip :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
GripperDon said:
I believe it is a Federal Law that service stations that offer oil changes must take your wast oil for free disposal. The dealer gets about $35 down here for an oil change. There are a number of non dealer places that will do it for 1/2 that also. Grip :D
Thanks Grip;

Very interesting, I am not sure if that law applies here in Canada?

I pay $28.95 CDN for an oil change at the Nissan Dealer here in Calgary. And that includes a wash (which I don't get) and a vacuum.
And they also fill up the fluids.

http://www.fishcreeknissan.com/pages/1/index.htm

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Here in MASS a service station must take the oil OR the place the sold you the oil must take it back but usually in the original bottle. So instead of refilling each bottle I dump my oil catch container into the services centers large tank. Take two minutes and its responsible.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
In Oregon, our used oil is recycled at the curb with the rest of the recycling and trash.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I just save 2 liter bottles and use them to bottle up and carry to the local Autozone or Kragen, they take used oil for free.

·
Registered
438 Posts
We get 2 annual pickups of hazardous waste. Also, Kragen has a dump tank in the back for used oil.

I use empty liquid detergent bottles to haul the oil back because they have those spill proof tops. Very handy.

I didn't use to bother with it for years, but got tired of the dealer charging me 30-40 dollars to change my oil and "12 point service" Thanks, but I can check my own wiper blades and top off my washer fluid just fine. The best was the VW dealer. I would drop the car off the night before then about 4PM the next day they'd call to say the car was just finished and made it sound like it was some amazing feat of mechanic genius to make it in that record time. :D

That said, I can appreciate not wanting to mess with this if you don't have the space or tools or expertise. Though it seems a simple task, you can do several things to screw up your car if you've NEVER done it before:
1. burn yourself with hot oil
2. spill toxic used motor oil on your skin
3. Cross thread the drain plug re-inserting it
4. Crush the oil filter with a wrench trying to tighten in
5. Under/overfill the crankcase

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The oil filter should always be hand tightened. I only use a wrench to remove it, never when tightening it. Nissan OEM filters require 2/3rd turn past gasket contact, thats easy to do by hand. I mark a line on the filter with a sharpie so I can tell when I've turned it 2/3rds to tighten.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Halo said:
We get 2 annual pickups of hazardous waste. Also, Kragen has a dump tank in the back for used oil.

I use empty liquid detergent bottles to haul the oil back because they have those spill proof tops. Very handy.

I didn't use to bother with it for years, but got tired of the dealer charging me 30-40 dollars to change my oil and "12 point service" Thanks, but I can check my own wiper blades and top off my washer fluid just fine. The best was the VW dealer. I would drop the car off the night before then about 4PM the next day they'd call to say the car was just finished and made it sound like it was some amazing feat of mechanic genius to make it in that record time. :D

That said, I can appreciate not wanting to mess with this if you don't have the space or tools or expertise. Though it seems a simple task, you can do several things to screw up your car if you've NEVER done it before:
1. burn yourself with hot oil
2. spill toxic used motor oil on your skin
3. Cross thread the drain plug re-inserting it
4. Crush the oil filter with a wrench trying to tighten in
5. Under/overfill the crankcase

Thanks Halo .....

And thus the above is why I don't do it myself. :D

Believe me, with my lack of mechanical knowledge 1 thru 5 would happen on the first attempt

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Oh, I didn't know anything about cars either, but get a good service manual and follow the instructions to the letter, and its pretty difficult to mess up. Cars are not as hard to work on as many mechanics would have you believe! I think beyond the cost savings, working on your own car really gives you a greater appreciation for how your vehicle functions. Many people treat their vehicle as something to put gas in and drive, but when you work on your own car, you think about it differently.

When I get into the car and turn the key, I think about all the processes going on - the computer is verifying the code on the key is correct, and sends a signal to the ignition switch to activate the starter solenoid, which connects the circuit to fire the starter motor. At the same time, the ECU is priming the fuel rails so the fuel injectors have the optimal air/fuel mixture to start the car, and the synthetic mobil one is flowing fast to combat startup friction, etc...etc.... As I watch the tach hold a cold fast idle, I see the ABS and SRS lights switch off, telling me the antilock brakes and airbags show no faults. ....well you get the picture.

Might be a bit much for some, but I'm a car nut, and I get a kick out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Wishforamurano...

I'm a GIRL and change my own oil
From your screenname, are you getting a murano or already bought one ? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts