Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for any 2021-2022 Nissan muranos, what’s the recommended oil change schedule? The dealer told me it’s every 10 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first for 2021-2022 Nissans. They told me I could get it done at 8 months if I wanted to. Just wanted to check with you guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So for any 2021-2022 Nissan muranos, what’s the recommended oil change schedule? The dealer told me it’s every 10 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first for 2021-2022 Nissans. They told me I could get it done at 8 months if I wanted to. Just wanted to check with you guys.
I have a '22 Mo SL purchased in February. Dealer told me 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. If you look at the "severe" maintenance schedule from Nissan, it's the same. I had a '10 Mo from new and followed the schedule above for that one too. Worked well for me for 84K miles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I follow whatever is in the maintenance schedule, especially while under warranty. If it says 10 months/10k miles then follow that. If you fall under whatever the severe maintenance schedule states follow that. I have a 2019 so I’m not familiar with what the changes may be for the 2022 but the 2019 is every 6 months or 5k miles. You can definitely do it sooner if you want to of course. But rule of thumb to avoid any issues while under warranty you should definitely follow the schedule in the manual.…solely because if Nissan wanted to be nitpicking they could deny a warranty repair if they feel like you didn’t follow the maintenance schedule and can claim that contributed to the issue. I had them try to do that with me on my Rogue because one oil change was done 60 miles past the mileage it should have been done. Their attempt failed of course but they tried

Reactions: misshely

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I follow whatever is in the maintenance schedule, especially while under warranty. If it says 10 months/10k miles then follow that. If you fall under whatever the severe maintenance schedule states follow that. I have a 2019 so I’m not familiar with what the changes may be for the 2022 but the 2019 is every 6 months or 5k miles. You can definitely do it sooner if you want to of course. But rule of thumb to avoid any issues while under warranty you should definitely follow the schedule in the manual.…solely because if Nissan wanted to be nitpicking they could deny a warranty repair if they feel like you didn’t follow the maintenance schedule and can claim that contributed to the issue. I had them try to do that with me on my Rogue because one oil change was done 60 miles past the mileage it should have been done. Their attempt failed of course but they tried
Thank you 🙏🏻

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
141 Posts
My '18 has a 5000 mile/6 month interval for normal driving, but I looked at the '22 Owner's Manual and their intervals are now shown in a text form that appears like it's intended to confuse owners. (The 2018 intervals were in the usual tabular form.)

For normal driving it looks like the official interval is 7500 miles or 6 months, and for severe driving it's 5000 miles or 6 months.

It looks like a strange and confusing way to get you to change your oil every 6 months even if you are barely driving (more common since Covid) but I think that's silly. Once a year or 7500 miles, whichever comes first, seems more reasonable to me but I would go by the book while the car is under warranty.

It seems like dealer service personnel are confused by these requirements also.

Reactions: misshely

·
Registered
213 Posts
My '18 has a 5000 mile/6 month interval for normal driving, but I looked at the '22 Owner's Manual and their intervals are now shown in a text form that appears like it's intended to confuse owners. (The 2018 intervals were in the usual tabular form.)

For normal driving it looks like the official interval is 7500 miles or 6 months, and for severe driving it's 5000 miles or 6 months.

It looks like a strange and confusing way to get you to change your oil every 6 months even if you are barely driving (more common since Covid) but I think that's silly. Once a year or 7500 miles, whichever comes first, seems more reasonable to me but I would go by the book while the car is under warranty.

It seems like dealer service personnel are confused by these requirements also.
Honestly…it took awhile for me to get used to anything beyond the old 3 months/3K mile schedule that used to be in most cars owners manual. I don’t think it’s confusing the way it’s written though. It’s pretty much the way it’s been for a long time…the number has changed but the requirement to have the service done by a specific number of months has been there for as long as I have been driving. Used to be a pain when I had a daily commute that made me have to get my oil changed every month and a half to ensure I followed the schedule while under warrant. I think it’s overkill for most people BUT a necessary evil to follow while under warranty unless you don’t worry about a covered repair under warranty being denied for not following the schedule.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
141 Posts
@Kae, I have 3 vehicles under warranty right now (bought extended coverage on all 3) and have completely obliterated the "months" requirement on oil changes for all 3 of them (especially since Covid) but observe the 5k/6k mile intervals that the cars require. I can deal with service managers if I need to and they can tell I keep my cars up to very high standards.

The 3 month/3k mile interval has not been required by manufacturers for decades, although many dealers and oil change places made people "think" that their oil was bad. Instead it was a horrible waste of natural resources although some of the oil was recycled.

I also own a 1991 BMW that I have owned since 1994. It's driven very little and gets an oil change every year before I park it for winter. I have let it go 2 years when I only put a couple hundred miles on it in a year. It's stored in my dry garage so the oil does not get moisture buildup.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's a matter of preference, unless of course you are under warranty, which you are.

I've used Mobil One for eons and still change mine every 5 to 6 k, along with the tire rotation. Creature of habit, drained oil never looks crappy and my tires never wear unevenly, so I've stuck with that my last 4 or 5 vehicles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the maint agreement with the dealership, it is 5000 mi or 6 mos. for the next 5 yrs. with mobile one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts