Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

This question is not only Murano relevant, but since I drive one, I decided to ask it. So, oil changes are recommended every three thousand miles or three months. I have been driving my Murano for just over 4 months and I have 2800 miles on it. I haven't done an oil change yet. So, my question is, how important is it to do it EVERY 3 MONTHS if I didn't make 3000 yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
472 Posts
The maintenance manual for 2005 says oil changes every 3 months or 3750 miles preferred but if you drive mostly highway miles under moderate conditions you can go every 6 months or 7500 miles.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
IMHO: 3k oil change is mostly to enrich the dealer service dept and places like Jiffy Lube, etc. Many major manufacturers are now going to 10k to 15k recommended intervals (with appropriate oils and filters of course)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I think the standard oil change interveral that is recommend by manufactures was 7500 miles... and the oil filter every other time! I can't image doing that. I change it myselft every 3000 miles but only because I've had good luck with other cars and I'm too chicken to experiment now.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
A few years ago, Maxima.org did an extensive oil test using Blackstone to see whether oil change intervals were accurate.

The verdict: even on cars which were in stop and go traffic with short trips, a 5000 mile interval on dino oil was just fine (the blackstone total base number remained acceptable until that point). With synthetic oil, it was found that 7000-8000 mile intervals did not harm the engine at all (from an oil analysis point of view).

Conclusion: the 3000 oil change was invented by dealers and Jiffy Lube to make more money, and the 7500 mile interval is not that unreasonable given the higher tolerances of the engines today.

I do my own oil changes and change with Mobil One 5w30 and a Nissan filter every 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
My wife's poor 1.6 in her sentra really starts to exhibit dead oil symptoms before she ever makes it to 3k. Of course, it does take her 5 months to get 3k on it. It is a 97 with 43k, runs perfect. Her car sees the jiffy places, I can't get to the dang filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric L. said:
A few years ago, Maxima.org did an extensive oil test using Blackstone to see whether oil change intervals were accurate.

The verdict: even on cars which were in stop and go traffic with short trips, a 5000 mile interval on dino oil was just fine (the blackstone total base number remained acceptable until that point). With synthetic oil, it was found that 7000-8000 mile intervals did not harm the engine at all (from an oil analysis point of view).

Conclusion: the 3000 oil change was invented by dealers and Jiffy Lube to make more money, and the 7500 mile interval is not that unreasonable given the higher tolerances of the engines today.

I do my own oil changes and change with Mobil One 5w30 and a Nissan filter every 5000 miles.
That makes it clear as far as distances are concerned, but what about TIME intervals. Should I just wait until I get 3750 or 5000 miles or whatever, or go and do oil change right away since it's almost 5 months?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I have NEVER heard of oil going bad due to the time its been in the engine, but if you want to be safe, change it every 6 months.

While I suppose oil slowly oxidizes as it sits around, I doubt this will cause it to go bad over a certain time interval.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Its not so much the oil going bad over time but rather the "stuff" that has collected in the oil builds up.... water, fuel, carbon etc. You know stuff from a normal combustion engine and condensation.

If you play by the rules in the owners manual for time and mileage you will be just fine. (except for the oil filter every other change.... ooooo that scares me. :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Gonzo said:
Its not so much the oil going bad over time but rather the "stuff" that has collected in the oil builds up.... water, fuel, carbon etc. You know stuff from a normal combustion engine and condensation.

If you play by the rules in the owners manual for time and mileage you will be just fine. (except for the oil filter every other change.... ooooo that scares me. :eek:

True, its the water and acids that build up in the oil, among the little metal bits that accumulate as your engine wears, that "wears" out the oil additives and various chemicals that keep impurities in suspension in the oil. I suppose if you make a lot of short trips, but do not accumulate a lot of miles, then the time interval matters a lot more than mileage interval.

If the driving style is more of a few infrequent long trips, then the above does not apply as much, and you can use a longer change interval.

This topic came up on cartalk recently, Tom and Ray recommended that even if the mileage is low, to change the oil every 6 months regardless. Seems to make sense to me.

KGBhoy - I highly recommend you stick with Nissan OEM filters. They are quality filters with solid construction, not the Fram made Penzoil PZ-1 crap they use at Jiffy Lube.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Eric L. said:

True, its the water and acids that build up in the oil, among the little metal bits that accumulate as your engine wears, that "wears" out the oil additives and various chemicals that keep impurities in suspension in the oil. I suppose if you make a lot of short trips, but do not accumulate a lot of miles, then the time interval matters a lot more than mileage interval.

If the driving style is more of a few infrequent long trips, then the above does not apply as much, and you can use a longer change interval.

This topic came up on cartalk recently, Tom and Ray recommended that even if the mileage is low, to change the oil every 6 months regardless. Seems to make sense to me.

KGBhoy - I highly recommend you stick with Nissan OEM filters. They are quality filters with solid construction, not the Fram made Penzoil PZ-1 crap they use at Jiffy Lube.
^^^ My opinion exactly.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Suppose you just parked your car for 6 months. Would you still have to change the oil twice during that time? If you follow the recommendations in the manual, that's what you're supposed to do, right?

I think there are two variables at play here. One is the acutal wear on the engine from a too infrequent oil change interval. It seems most of us agree that anywhere from 3,000-7,500 mile intervals is reasonable.

The other, and more frightening one, is that due to a NISSAN manufacturing defect, you get an internal engine failure that results in, say, a siezed engine. Tow car to dealer. Dealer asks for proof that you did all the service according to manufacturer specs. What? You changed the oil every 3,000 miles but since you only drive 6,000 miles a year, you only changed it every 6 months? Well, sorry, but the engine failure is due to owner neglect, pay up sucka! Can this happen? Who knows.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If you changed the oil, and parked the car for six months, the oil would be almost new after six months. In that case, I would drive on it for 3 months or 3000 miles, and then change it.

The interval rule usually applies if the car is driven on a lot of short trips (say 5 miles a day, for 6 months). The short trips will not let the engine warm up enough, and any water from incomplete combustion will accumulate in the oil and potentially form acids, thus deteriorating the oil.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I'm with Erick L.

·
5,268 Posts
If you go with mineral based oil - 7,500k miles/6monyhs will be OK. Synthetics can last much longer. People still have the preconceptions of "good old days" crappy engines and crappy oils leading to good busniess for some..........

I change oil myself (I honestly do not know why?) every 5k miles. I am using Mobil 1 synthetic, I am sure I could go 10k miles. But I am not taking chances..........no, it is not true.............I just follow Nissan recommendations..............I guess warranty issues.................:(

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree with everyone that changing your oil at proper intervals ( 7000-10000 KM) is acceptable with the new type of engines and the better oil formulation they have now especially with synthetic oils.

I have been using Mobil 1 in all my cars for over 15 years and change my filter at 5000 Km and filter and oil at 10000 KM and I have never had a issue with my cars. My last two cars ( 84 VW Jetta and 92 grand Caravan) both had almost 300,000 Km on them and did not burn any oil.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Wow so you change your filter every other change.... interesting... I'm too chicken to try that.

·
5,268 Posts
Gonzo said:
Wow so you change your filter every other change.... interesting... I'm too chicken to try that.
No, quite opposite. He changes Oil every other filter change.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Gonzo said:
The only reason I do it like that is because of synthetic oil. I first started using it with Amsoil and that was what it recommend as synthetic oil has the ability to keeps the solids in suspension and the oil does not break down as easliy as the mineral based oils. I also do a lot of highway driving ( 20,000 KM a year). trust me gonzo I would not be doing this if I did not believe in it and I have the proof also in my last two cars longevity.

·
5,268 Posts
I may have said it before – I have a friend who used to work for Mobil when Mobil 1 synthetic oil was developed. Interestingly, they found the oil could go 30,000 miles without significant deterioration. The research has never been published.

Given my industrial experience I believe that Mobil 1 in modern engines can easily last 20,000 miles. As a matter of fact, companies in Europe and Australia recommend oil change (mineral oil) every 6 months or 15,000 kms (roughly 9,000 miles).

I would keep the Mobil 1 in my car for at least 10,000 miles if it wasn’t for warranty issues. There are definitely no issues with oil breaking down etc. Modern Maintenance (I am teaching it as well) preaches Condition Based Maintenance, meaning perform corrective action only if condition warrants it. So we should do oil analysis. However, it would no be a good business decision – analysis of one oil sample costs appr. $30. So for that reason I will be “old fashioned” and go with fixed interval maintenance. Oil change every 5,000k miles………and I know I over do it…..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts