Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this '13 17 months ago with 92000 miles. It was serviced by dealer then. Now has 96500 miles and I have not changed the oil. Oil consumption has been negligible, oil is relatively clean. I DO plan to go to Amsoil shortly. Does TIME mean anything? or is just mileage important?

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would change at least once a year if it is regular oil. Synthetic can probably go longer. It seems like you are driving it pretty regularly so that moisture wont build up. If you are driving less than 2-3 times a week where engine can full heat up, then you may want to change sooner. I do every 5k (about every 6 months).
BTW that oil seems pretty dirty to me compared to my oil at 6 months, but that does not mean it has lost its protective power :)

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
The kind of driving you do is more important than time. If it's all short trips that don't heat up the oil and get rid of condensation, that's bad. If you drive the vehicle long enough to get it thoroughly warmed up, then the oil gets less contaminated.

Color is not an indication of the oil's condition or ability to serve well. It's irrelevant.

If you're going to change in the next month or so, no need to rush. In general, I suggest changing oil and filter at least annually.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You know the oil has a minimum of 4500 miles on it, maybe more. When buying a used car it is good form to replace all fluids and filters to provide a starting reference point for future mainrenance. That is, unless you have some kind of assurance of when certain maintenance has been done, as in a log book or with receipts. I would replace the oil that is in there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bought this '13 17 months ago with 92000 miles. It was serviced by dealer then. Now has 96500 miles and I have not changed the oil. Oil consumption has been negligible, oil is relatively clean. I DO plan to go to Amsoil shortly. Does TIME mean anything? or is just mileage important?
Check the owners manual it will tell you when you should change the oil. Dealerships tend to change it much sooner than the required mileage the manufacture recommends. My 09 used to get changed every 5,000km but after seeing on CBC Marketplace how changing it sooner only pollutes the earth more I check the manual and noticed Nissan recommends every 7500km, so I set my maintenance notices to 7000km as I don't tend to take it in for a week or two after I get the alert.

Something you might be interested in. This is the final test amongst synthetic oils but you can find the other videos he did comparing other makes.
https://youtu.be/TWuKvnCq1js

Thanks,

·
Registered
159 Posts
In northern climates i'm always using a 0w oil like a 0w30 or 0w40. APparently 0w20 can work fine in this engine and does improve fuel economy. I'm not racing this thing and mostly using it for commuting and daily driving so those work.

It's a very easy oil change and you should be able to do it without ramps/jacks though I use ramps any way. Also, use a 7317 oil filter. Same thread pitch but slightly larger than the oem recommended 6607. Many Nissan owners do that using the bigger filter vs the smaller one.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I am Amzoiled! Did the oil, filter and ATF today. Used the largest Amsoil filter that would fit (EA15K20) and Signature 5W30 oil. Extractor was able to suck 3 1/2 qts of ATF out (no drain plug), so I refilled with Amsoil CVT and will do it again in a couple of months. Still have the transfer case and rear differential to do....Exactly 5000 miles since the dealer service. Used no oil.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The normal amount to drain is about 4 1/2 quarts. That's a quart short of it. Don't know if its because of your method of removal or that is all there is to drain. If the later then you may have been running a little low before OCI.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely was not low. Replaced the condenser last year, and topped it. Checked regularly (If the dipstick is to be believed).

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diff & Transfer Case done! I don't recommend the TC change to anyone. It is just too difficult lying under the car. Gear oil does not taste good! You can only turn the fill plug 1/8 of a turn at a time. Interference with everything around it! Different from 1st gen, but every bit as bad.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
ekaxel
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing